Xinside and Matrox

Xinside and Matrox

Post by David Coutt » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00



I have a Matrox Millenium w/ 2M and downloaded the Xinside demo a
couple of days ago. I am the only user on the system. I am running
fvwm. When I start X, I can only bring up one application (eg xterm).
After this I get an error message client refused when I try to start
anything else. My understanding of the demo was that only 3 users could
use the system at once. I am considering buying the registered version
and have a few questions:

1. Is my system working correctly with the demo?
   (i.e. Is it a maximum of 3 applications, not 3 users)
2. Is there anyway to get better than 320x200 without the Xinside?
3. Will Xfree86 support Matrox in the near future?

Any answers and/or additional comments on this would be greatly
appreciated. Feel free to reply or email me.

Thanks in advance,
David Coutts

 
 
 

Xinside and Matrox

Post by Arther Den » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00



>I have a Matrox Millenium w/ 2M and downloaded the Xinside demo a
>couple of days ago. I am the only user on the system. I am running
>fvwm. When I start X, I can only bring up one application (eg xterm).
>After this I get an error message client refused when I try to start
>anything else. My understanding of the demo was that only 3 users could
>use the system at once. I am considering buying the registered version
>and have a few questions:

>1. Is my system working correctly with the demo?
>   (i.e. Is it a maximum of 3 applications, not 3 users)

I belive so, I can only start one app also!!  (I think the Xkernel itself
takes one connection, the FVWM manager takes another, leaving you
with...)

I don't get an error message at all (well, I can see them after I exit
FVWM, but nothing when FVWM is running) all that happens is my HDD
buzzes, then nothing....

I too will be ordering the registered version.
Arther.

 
 
 

Xinside and Matrox

Post by Richard Har » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00



> I have a Matrox Millenium w/ 2M and downloaded the Xinside demo a
> couple of days ago. I am the only user on the system. I am running
> fvwm. When I start X, I can only bring up one application (eg xterm).
> After this I get an error message client refused when I try to start
> anything else. My understanding of the demo was that only 3 users could
> use the system at once. I am considering buying the registered version
> and have a few questions:

> 1. Is my system working correctly with the demo?
>    (i.e. Is it a maximum of 3 applications, not 3 users)

This is correct for the demo.  It sees each open tty as a user.

Quote:> 2. Is there anyway to get better than 320x200 without the Xinside?

you should be able to get 600x480

Quote:> 3. Will Xfree86 support Matrox in the near future?

not unless they deside to quit using NDA's.  This isn't likely.

Quote:

> Any answers and/or additional comments on this would be greatly
> appreciated. Feel free to reply or email me.

I am currently running there server, and it is FAST.  There is a minor
problem with the trinitron chipset on some boards (like mine) right now.
They had a partial fix out on Dec 23, and are promising the permenant
fix soon.  Overall, I'm happy with there product.  It's simple to
configure, and faster then XFree stuff.  The only drawback is $$

> Thanks in advance,
> David Coutts


--

#define WHERE "SUPERNET INC. WEB Development Team"
#define WHY   "When I know it all, I will retire"
#include <std_disclamer.h>
 
 
 

Xinside and Matrox

Post by Jonathan A. Dav » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00


: I have a Matrox Millenium w/ 2M and downloaded the Xinside demo a
: couple of days ago. I am the only user on the system. I am running
: fvwm. When I start X, I can only bring up one application (eg xterm).
: After this I get an error message client refused when I try to start
: anything else. My understanding of the demo was that only 3 users could
: use the system at once. I am considering buying the registered version
: and have a few questions:
:
: 1. Is my system working correctly with the demo?
:    (i.e. Is it a maximum of 3 applications, not 3 users)

Yes.  The note you are referring to concerns the number of "connections"
that can be open at once.  Three isn't much.  In fact, the first time I
tested, I wasn't able to open anything considering all the stuff that my
WM opens ahead of time.  My final test consisted of starting X (no WM) and
launching any apps I wanted to test from a text console.  Yukky, but I was
able to make a decent test.

BTW, X-Inside works WONDERFULLY with the Millenium card, mine is maxed out
(memory wise) and it seems to take full advantage of it.  It's kinda neat
to compare it's performance with my friends machines.  My display in
truecolor mode outruns their "Accelerated cards" running in 8 bit mode.  :-)

: 2. Is there anyway to get better than 320x200 without the Xinside?

Not that I'm aware of.  Frankly, I never tried.  I ordered the X-Inside
server before my card even arrived.  I like free software just as much
as the next person, but there are times when I swallow hard, write the
check and get it over with (X-servers and WordProcessing come to mind).
In this case, the video card was a birthday present and I managed to
weasel the X-server cost into it too.   ;-)

: 3. Will Xfree86 support Matrox in the near future?

I have no idea.  I *do* know that it is not mentioned in the current
BETA X-Free server release.  However, I've noticed new platform support
often seems to spring from seemingly "nowhere" with little warning or
comment on the part of the X-Free folks.  I guess they like to stay low-
key.  Given the card's stellar attributes, I strongly suspect that someone
in the X-Free project is working on one.

Cheers,

--
-Jonathan                                                              _  _
------------------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>>-(o)(o)---
 Jonathan A. Davis | Academic Systems Analyst | Hattiesburg/Gulf Park/Stennis

 http://evergreen.cc.usm.edu/~davis | Linux: The choice of a GNU generation

 
 
 

Xinside and Matrox

Post by Thomas Roell (grwtzf » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00


Quote:>I don't get an error message at all (well, I can see them after I exit
>FVWM, but nothing when FVWM is running) all that happens is my HDD
>buzzes, then nothing....

Not correctly. FVWM is written is a VERY special way, so that the
panner window and the icon-box window count as seperate clients ...

- Thomas
--
Denver Office                THOMAS ROELL        /\      Das Reh springt hoch,
+1(303)298-7478              X INSIDE INC       /  \/\   das Reh springt weit,
1801 Broadway, Suite 1710                      /    \ \/\     was soll es tun,

 
 
 

Xinside and Matrox

Post by Arther Den » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00



Quote:>>I don't get an error message at all (well, I can see them after I exit
>>FVWM, but nothing when FVWM is running) all that happens is my HDD
>>buzzes, then nothing....

>Not correctly. FVWM is written is a VERY special way, so that the
>panner window and the icon-box window count as seperate clients ...

I don't suppose there's any way to kill FVWM and still be able to run
Netscape, it there (at least till my registerenbd version arrives :)