Enlightenment (0.16.3) won't read my .menu or .cfg files...

Enlightenment (0.16.3) won't read my .menu or .cfg files...

Post by Andrew Duchows » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I upgraded to Mandrake 6.5 (based on RH6.0 I believe) and finally switched
to E (v0.16.3) from fvwm.  I'm also using Gnome.  I'm having problems with
personal menus and keybinding.

I've read docs and looked at various E FAQs, couldn't find an "enlightened
news group" :), so I'm not sure if this is the place to post...anyway...

I have some .menu nad .cfg files in my ~/.enlightenment directory, but
E doesn't seem to want to read them.  For example, my file.menu is:

"Eterm" NULL exec "Eterm"

but it never shows up in the menus (left mouse button).  I have also created
my own keybindings.cfg (I desperately want Alt-F1, Alt-F3 to be Raise, Lower,
respectively), but the file apparently isn't being read (or it's being
ignored).

- Andrew
--
Andrew T. Duchowski               office:444 Edwards Hall  area code:864
Computer Science Dept., MS-0974   tel:656.7677 cel:982.5809 fax:656.0145

Clemson, SC 29634-0974            http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~andrewd/

Enlightenment (0.16.3) won't read my .menu or .cfg files...

Post by Andrew Duchows » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>[..]
>Take a look in
>the enlightenment install directory ~/enlightenment/config. There is a
>keybindings.cfg file and a menu.cfg file

Tried that...

Quote:>Enlightenement, since .16, reads a
>file in the ~/.enlightenment directory called user_apps.menu for current menu
>choices. If it isn't there, it loads the menu.cfg from the install directory.

This as well...I have a pile of stuff in my ~/.enlightenment/users_apps.menu
file (stuff from Eterm to XV to Myth 2 etc.) which I didn't create myself
but just found.

I dunno---the docs seem to say pretty confidently that E will read the key
bindings files, the user app and user menu files, so I tend to think that
it's working for somebody, but in my case it just seems that E isn't reading
one thing or another.  Does it have anything to do with file permissions or
location of the default E stuff?  Most of my ~/.enlightenment stuff is
-rw------- and my default E stuff is in /usr/share, not /usr/local (I think
that's where RPM put it).

I also couldn't find any reasonable reference regarding shell vars although
I've seen a few here and there (EROOT I believe).  What are the relevant shell
env vars and which does E pay attention to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...
--

Post by Randal Powel » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I upgraded to Mandrake 6.5 (based on RH6.0 I

believe) and finally switched
Quote:> to E (v0.16.3) from fvwm.  I'm also using

Gnome.  I'm having problems with
Quote:> personal menus and keybinding.

I've read docs and looked at various E FAQs, couldn't find an "enlightened
news group" :), so I'm not sure if this is the place to post...anyway...
Quote:

> I have some .menu nad .cfg files in my ~/.enlightenment directory, but

doesn't seem to want to read them.  For example, my file.menu is:
"Eterm" NULL exec "Eterm"
Quote:

> but it never shows up in the menus (left

mouse button).  I have also created
Quote:> my own keybindings.cfg (I desperately

want Alt-F1, Alt-F3 to be Raise, Lower,
Quote:> respectively), but the file

apparently isn't being read (or it's being
Quote:> ignored).

> Any ideas?

Quote:

> - Andrew

Take a look in
the enlightenment install directory ~/enlightenment/config. There is a
keybindings.cfg file and a menu.cfg file

Enlightenement, since .16, reads a
file in the ~/.enlightenment directory called user_apps.menu for current menu
choices. If it isn't there, it loads the menu.cfg from the install directory.
--
Randy Powell
        "Reality is just a convenient level of complexity"

Enlightenment (0.16.3) won't read my .menu or .cfg files...

Post by Andrew Duchows » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Got it!  My linux box must be messed up---originally I had E 0.16.3 installed
from the rpm dist.  It worked ok except for the keybindings and other quirks.
After removing that, installing some of the devel stuff (again thru rpm),
then removing gnome-core and gnome-core-devel and removing the rpm installed
E, I compiled E 0.16.3 again and let it install itself in the /usr/local/
tree.  Then changed my .Xclients to just load up E as my wm instead of going
thru gnome then E, and presto, the keybindings work.

I suspect that either: a) the rpm'd E 0.16.3 has some hardcoded paths
somewhere, or b) my linux box needs a clean install of RH6.1...  I'm
currently using mandrake, which doesn't give me a warm-fuzzy like RH5.1 did.

Maybe I'll wait till RH6.2 and then wipe the slate clean.  Anyway, finally
got E working nicely along with Eterm.  I like it!

Post by Randal Powel » Sat, 25 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> In article

> >[..]
> >Take a look in
> >the enlightenment install directory

~/enlightenment/config. There is a
Quote:> >keybindings.cfg file and a menu.cfg
file

> Tried that...

> >Enlightenement, since .16, reads a
> >file

in the ~/.enlightenment directory called user_apps.menu for current menu
Quote:

>choices. If it isn't there, it loads the menu.cfg from the install
directory.

> This as well...I have a pile of stuff in my

~/.enlightenment/users_apps.menu
Quote:> file (stuff from Eterm to XV to Myth 2

etc.) which I didn't create myself
Quote:> but just found.

> I dunno---the

docs seem to say pretty confidently that E will read the key
Quote:> bindings

files, the user app and user menu files, so I tend to think that
Quote:> it's

working for somebody, but in my case it just seems that E isn't reading
one thing or another.  Does it have anything to do with file permissions or

Quote:> location of the default E stuff?  Most of my ~/.enlightenment stuff is

One idea. Are you able to the to the Maintenence menu? If so, you might try
clicking the "purge all caches" button and then "regenerate menus" button.
This should clear all the cache stuff out (which is where you may be reading
the bad data) and start over.