X start but nothing on screen... ?

Post by cind.. » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi Linux users !

Afer playing for a while with Linux to teach my-self the basics of Unix OS
(and reading a tons of HOW-TO...), I wanted to install X/Windows
(the Slackware ed.)
I followed all indications from a book ("Using Linux" by QUE, who provide
the CD) to configure my XF86Config file.

Then start X/Win using: X -xf86config /dir_name/XF86Config

A grey screen appear with a mouse pointer (a big X) and then noting more
append nor is loaded.

Somebody know what append ? I missed a parameter to load the GUI ?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank's
Stef

P.S. Answer in the newsgroup. Your help is for everybody !

X start but nothing on screen... ?

Post by cind.. » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Problem solved.

My config file was: /etc/XF86Config/XF86Config
I copy it to:       /ect/XF86Config

works great.
Stef

Post by cu.. » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: X start but nothing on screen... ?
>Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 00:09:00 GMT
>Hi Linux users !
>Afer playing for a while with Linux to teach my-self the basics of Unix OS
>(and reading a tons of HOW-TO...), I wanted to install X/Windows
>(the Slackware ed.)
>I followed all indications from a book ("Using Linux" by QUE, who provide
>the CD) to configure my XF86Config file.
>Then start X/Win using: X -xf86config /dir_name/XF86Config
>A grey screen appear with a mouse pointer (a big X) and then noting more
>append nor is loaded.
>Somebody know what append ? I missed a parameter to load the GUI ?
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Thank's
>Stef
>P.S. Answer in the newsgroup. Your help is for everybody !

First let's make sure you are starting it using startx or I think xwin after
going and creating a xf86config file within the correct directory
/usr/X11/lib/X11 or whatever the book says.

the grey screen loads first then fvwm or some other X installation will appear

if not you may want to check your setting when doing the configuration and use
the x-probe option, if that fails you most likely will have other problems.

1. Wont start X - Screen flashes trying to start GUI

Hi, I have a system (RH 7.1 Kernal 2.4.2-2 ) that HAD
an Nvidia TNT graphics card. At some point
(unkown reason) the system failed to enter Gnome.
The text flashes off  to black screen as it tries to enter graphics
mode. After a while I get the message:
   INIT: Id 'x' respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.

In the /var/log/XFfree86.0.log it shows i am using XF86Config-4
When I look at that it reports a different card  (Diamond Stealth
in this instance) to what I am using now (NVidia GForce) and the
error that screens were found but "not usable in this configuration"

When I use Xconfigurator it finds the correct card and appears to
configure but on exit and typing  startx it fails as previous.
Trying xf86config appears to write the output to /etc/X11/XF86Config
instead of XF86Config-4 which as stated earlier the system said it
was using.

In short I have tried a lot of different cards and ths system says it
recognises and configures for them but the basic fault ( text flashes
off  to black screen ...) remains.

I dont care what card I put in, I just want to get to Gnome, KDE whatever..

Any help or advice really appreciated. I was trying to migrate from windoze
but so far....

2. /tmp V5.1A

3. MOL black screen: nothing works

4. CD-Rom drive won't open

5. adjusting screen vsync rate (but nothing else)

6. F90 with Linux ?

7. Screen Blanks, Disk whirs, nothing

8. source code..

9. X Setup. Screen blanks and then nothing happens.

10. Nothing will start..

11. Newbie - Apache won't start and nothing in error_log

12. Starting up XEmacs - nothing happens until I connect to the network...

13. X start but nothing else