Questions: Staroffice

Post by Per-Henrik Persso » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I just installed staroffice 4.0. It's _very_ cool, maybe to similar to some
M$-product :(
Can I use my true type fonts with staroffice if I run the Xfstt font-server?
I haven't succeeded. Is it possible to open and save documents in the word97
format?
/P-H

Questions: Staroffice

Post by Lars Erik Kolde » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I just installed staroffice 4.0. It's _very_ cool, maybe to similar to some
> M$-product :(
> Can I use my true type fonts with staroffice if I run the Xfstt font-server?
> I haven't succeeded. Is it possible to open and save documents in the word97
> format?
> /P-H

 Unfortunately, I don't think that you can. Check out the newsgroup ("Support"
at www.stardivision.com). A lot of other people have asked about fonts.

Lars Erik

Questions: Staroffice

Post by Jon Sundquis » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I just installed staroffice 4.0. It's _very_ cool, maybe to similar to some
> M$-product :(
> Can I use my true type fonts with staroffice if I run the Xfstt font-server?
> I haven't succeeded. Is it possible to open and save documents in the word97
> format?
> /P-H

Check out the newsgroups on StarDivision's news server, specifically:

There was a recent poston this, and I believe the answer was no.  But check for
yourself.

Jon Sundquist

Questions: Staroffice

Post by ae.. » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I just installed staroffice 4.0. It's _very_ cool, maybe to similar to some
> M$-product :(
> Can I use my true type fonts with staroffice if I run the Xfstt font-server?
> I haven't succeeded. Is it possible to open and save documents in the word97
> format?
> /P-H

 I don't have 4.0, but a few things that did work.  I installed cfs (Caldera
Font Server).  I think it's still at ftp.redhat.com.  It will serve True Type
fonts and the interface lets you preview and play with sizes etc.

Now, Star writer (if I remember correctly) had 7 or 8 fonts hard coded.  They
could not be changed from what I read.  Star Draw  would allow me to use most
of the fonts.  (Some didn't show up, although the previewer didn't have a
problem).  So, if you're only looking to add a snazzy title, you can create it
and import it into a star writer document.  If you're interested in typing the
whole letter in a certain font, Star Draw is a little awkward.

--
Dogbert: Has your electronic mail system made you more efficient?
Dilbert: In a way... Now I'm getting ignored at the speed of light.

1. Question: StarOffice # 2

    Zheng> Hello everyone.  currently, I run a RedHat 4.1 Linux box on
    Zheng> a Pentium 200MMX (intel) pc. I downloaded the stat-bin
    Zheng> package and ran the setup for StarOffice fine.  At first i
    Zheng> had problems with the env settings, but i figured that out,
    Zheng> however now, when i try to run

    Zheng> svdaemon: i get the following error

    Zheng> Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno =
    Zheng> Connection refused unable to register (STARVIEW,
    Zheng> STARVIEWVERS, udp).

    Zheng> Can anyone help me on this? i don't know what it means.

You need to have the portmap demon started before.

--

"In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"

2. Request : how to include a signature with mail

3. New to groups and Staroffice Question

4. trouble pkgadd from sol 2.6 cd

5. StarOffice questions

6. Red Hat 7.2 install, conflicts with touchpad, keyboard and usb mice

7. Two questions: mount points and StarOffice

8. Santa Clara, California Startup Seeks UNIX Software/Network Developer

9. StarOffice 5.0 shared installation question (or, I must be an idiot...)

10. staroffice and email question

11. StarOffice Setup Question

12. New to groups and Staroffice Question

13. StarOffice Question??