ol[v]wm is so SLOW?

Post by Carles Perel » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

A friend of mine has recently installed Slackware 3.0 with no problem at all.
Tried Fvwm and configured all video modes up to 1024x768x256, no prob.

But he wanted olwm and then all went wrong. The computer almost dies when
calling openwin, with 99% CPU for olwm. It never cames up. And is a Pentium/90
PCI.

Next to this computer there is a IBM/PSVP (486/66) that runs olwm with same RAM
amount (8MB) with no problem (but is non ELF).

Anybody out there has a similar problem with the xview series on slackware
3.0?

Thanks in advance!

--
****************************************      Carles Perello i Garcia
****      *****     ********   ***    ****    Silicon Technology Group R&D

   *****************************************  http://venus.cnm.es/~carlesp

1. ANNOUNCE: New release of XView libraries, OL[V]WM and tools

An updated release of my XView port has been uploaded to tsx-11.mit.edu
and sunsite.unc.edu. The new package is called xview3L3.tar.Z, and will
replace xview3L2 in tsx-11:/pub/linux/binaries/usr.bin.X11/.

The xview libraries (olgx, xview and sspkg) have been recompiled with
GCC 2.3.3, and olwm and the other tools use libc4.2. There are two
major additions to the package:

- olvwm is now included. This is olvwm 3.3. All functions that I have tried
works, including DIRMENU & WINMENU.

- Added a new (static) library to the package for C++ programmers, called UIT
(User Interface Toolkit). Here is a short description:

WHAT IS UIT (from introduction in UIT documentation)
The UIT is a tool/class library for C++ programmers developing OpenWindows
user interfaces.

The UIT has two parts:
* A hierarchy of OpenLook-conformant user-interface classes, realized in
  C++ on top of the XView toolkit. These are the user-interface components
  (UIC).

* A tool to convert OpenWindows developer's guide (DevGuide) output into
  C++ code that uses the UIC. This part is the guide to UIC utility, or `guic`.

  [note. `guic` was provided as a Sun-binary only, and is not included in the
  linux package (anyone wanna build a Sparc emulator:-) :-) I'd recommend
  getting the whole package from export.lcs.mit.edu, the Postscript docs are
  over 1MB, and not included]

To get a feeling for the UIT API, here is a "hello world" type program
which opens a window and displays the usual string in it. Who said X Windows
development must be difficult? :-)

// Simple hello world program using UIT
#include <uit/BaseWindow.h>
#include <uit/ComponentDisplay.h>
#include <uit/TextItem.h>
#include <uit/Notifier.h>

main (int argc, char **argv) {
  BaseWindow w;                     // Create window
  w.initUI(argc, argv);
  w.setWidth(230); w.setHeight(68);
  w.setDisplayFooter(FALSE);
  w.setLabel("UIT Window");
  w.show(TRUE);

  ComponentDisplay c(TRUE);         // Create canvas
  c.setLocation(0, 0);
  c.setWidth(230); c.setHeight(68);
  w.addDisplay(c);

  TextItem t("Hello World");        // Create text string
  t.setLocation(80, 30);
  c.addComponent(t);

  Notifier n;                       // Realize it
  n.start();

I also wrote a "real" example, a program I call Linux Meminfo, which
obtains information from /proc/meminfo, /proc/loadavg and /proc/uptime,
and presents the data using OpenLook gauges. The program is included
as source in the package. (requires a recent linux kernel to work)

--

2. Modutils version for kernel 2.5.68-mm ?

3. ANNOUNCE: New release of XView libraries, tools and ol[v]wm

4. Epson Stylus Color 900

5. ol*wm for XFree86 3.1.1 (15-bit HiColor) under Linux?

6. problems with licensing

7. Problem: ol(v)wm and XFree3.1 on Mach32

8. Systematic crash when upgrading glibc on a RedHat 9 system

9. X works, but not ol(v)wm!

10. OL[V]WM troubles solved.

11. Printer problem :) (same ol' - same ol')

12. SCO 5.0.2 NSF is slow - VERY slow What am I doing wrong??

13. Accuracy of Netmechanic Server Check--Am I slow?