Nvidia Geforce 2 mx200 on Suse 7.3 crash during system shutdown

Nvidia Geforce 2 mx200 on Suse 7.3 crash during system shutdown

Post by To » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:10:10

Hi,

I installed a Nvidia Gforce2 MX200 into my linux box running Suse 7.3.
I downloaded the glx and NVdriver rpms for Suse, installed and configured
them and the system boots cleanly, the kernel driver loads ok. GLX loads
ok. I get good 3d peformance (simple test running ssystem). However, when
I try and shutdown or reboot the system, the screen is scrambled and the
system hangs requiring a hard reset.

I can login and out of X (kde) many times. It's only when I shutdown or
restart the X server that the machine hangs.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom

Nvidia Geforce 2 mx200 on Suse 7.3 crash during system shutdown

Post by Bj?rn Tore Sun » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:50:24

Quote:

>  I installed a Nvidia Gforce2 MX200 into my linux box running Suse 7.3.
>  I downloaded the glx and NVdriver rpms for Suse, installed and configured
>  them and the system boots cleanly, the kernel driver loads ok. GLX loads
>  ok. I get good 3d peformance (simple test running ssystem). However, when
>  I try and shutdown or reboot the system, the screen is scrambled and the
>  system hangs requiring a hard reset.

>  I can login and out of X (kde) many times. It's only when I shutdown or
>  restart the X server that the machine hangs.

I've had similar problems with other video cards, but only with a
very few mainboards.  Some mainboards have problems properly re-
setting AGP- and PCI-cards, in particular when under stress (as
with a shutdown).

On older boards there is usually a BIOS update, on the newer ones
you have to wait for one.

Bj?rn
--
Bj?rn Tore Sund                  "When in fear, and when in doubt;
                                  Run in circles, scream and shout!"

Nvidia Geforce 2 mx200 on Suse 7.3 crash during system shutdown

Post by To » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 01:16:54

I eventually determined that this was being caused by apic being
enabled in the kernel. Suse had a message about this in their
support DB, I just didn't find it originally. So I was able to
fix the system hang/crash issue by simply modifying my lilo.conf
file to append the "disableapic" to the boot command. The linux-safe
boot kernel already turns off apic.

Tom

Post by Richard Hark » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 15:02:58

> I eventually determined that this was being caused by apic being
> enabled in the kernel. Suse had a message about this in their
> support DB, I just didn't find it originally. So I was able to
> fix the system hang/crash issue by simply modifying my lilo.conf
> file to append the "disableapic" to the boot command. The linux-safe
> boot kernel already turns off apic.

> Tom

>> >  I installed a Nvidia Gforce2 MX200 into my linux box running Suse 7.3.

>> >  I downloaded the glx and NVdriver rpms for Suse, installed and
>> >  configured

>> >  them and the system boots cleanly, the kernel driver loads ok. GLX
>> >  loads

>> >  ok. I get good 3d peformance (simple test running ssystem). However,
>> >  when

>> >  I try and shutdown or reboot the system, the screen is scrambled and
>> >  the

>> >  system hangs requiring a hard reset.

>> >  I can login and out of X (kde) many times. It's only when I shutdown
>> >  or

>> >  restart the X server that the machine hangs.

>> I've had similar problems with other video cards, but only with a

>> very few mainboards.  Some mainboards have problems properly re-

>> setting AGP- and PCI-cards, in particular when under stress (as

>> with a shutdown).

>> On older boards there is usually a BIOS update, on the newer ones

>> you have to wait for one.

>> Bj?rn

I have an Nvidia Geforce 2 Ti 200 and it seemed to work fine
after it was installed. Ubtil I tried to shut down X. Then it hung.
The solution for me was to disable Video caching in the BIOS.

Richard

Nvidia Geforce 2 mx200 on Suse 7.3 crash during system shutdown

Post by Pat Cheliu » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:07:58

I had exactly the same problem until I installed vVidias newest drivers.
They've only been out for about a week and are on their website. I also
have installed XFree86 4.2. (I installed it first,then the nVidia drivers.

Quote:> Hi,

> I installed a Nvidia Gforce2 MX200 into my linux box running Suse 7.3. I
> downloaded the glx and NVdriver rpms for Suse, installed and configured
> them and the system boots cleanly, the kernel driver loads ok. GLX loads
> ok. I get good 3d peformance (simple test running ssystem). However,
> when I try and shutdown or reboot the system, the screen is scrambled
> and the system hangs requiring a hard reset.

> I can login and out of X (kde) many times. It's only when I shutdown or
> restart the X server that the machine hangs.

> Any help greatly appreciated.

> Tom

1. Suse Linux 7.3, file manager crashes system

As root using file manager,
 If "file find" selected with the search preferences set to files *.* and
options set to "all files modified in the last 1day".

ie asking whats changed today! A perfectly reasonable request?

File manager finds 47 file names than hard drive stops seeking. Mouse and
keyboard cease to function.

Only way to escape is press hard reset.

System will reboot and functions normally, after sorting out the inodes in
in hdc3.
However there are lots of error messages coming up during configuration
referring to lines 920 & 921 in the rc.config file. Errors usually saying
"unexpected end of file while looking for matching '"'.

Any ideas what I managed to screw up now?

Thanks & regards George.

Patience!

2. nVidia Card

3. nVidia GeForce 2 Go & RH 7.3

4. e2fsck wasn't enough; now what?

5. NVidia and SuSE 7.3

6. grep something from a pipe

7. SuSE 7.3 and NVIDIA

8. Need modelines file from linux 0.99

9. SuSE Linux 7.3 will not power off at shutdown

10. Problem during installation of Suse 7.3 with parition numbers

11. Sgementation Error During Install of SuSE 7.3

12. SuSE 7.3 Pro crashes

13. Try to install SuSE 7.3 on old ICS box -- Crash !