TNT, GLX and RH 6.1 XFree

Post by Jim Ros » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> OK, I'm running RH6.1 w/ the XF 3.3.5 (?) binaries installed,
> I've just downloaded the RIVA-X-GLX 1.0 files from nvidia in an
> attempt to get GLX/3D acceleration to work.

> Question is:

> Should I allow the riva install script to overwrite my current
> SVGA server with it's own?  I know I'll have to manually modify
> my XF86Config to include the 16bit modes, but I'm not sure I want
> to let it overwrite the "stock" SVGA server.  Will it work if I don't
> let it?

> I guess I could just make some backups of the key files and let it go and
see
> what happens....

> Ripp

I did this although I don't use it anymore.
I thought the improvement were included into the lastest XFree86 that RH 6.1
uses.
You can always run Xconfigurator after and it will reinstall the XSVGA
server again.

I don't think it will "work" if you don't let the install script overwrite
your current server.
That is most of what it does.
Jim

TNT, GLX and RH 6.1 XFree

Post by birdma » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

You don't have to install the drivers from NVidia. They are included in XFree86
3.3.5 and above. And be aware that they only work in 8 and 16 bit color for now.
Apparently this will be fixed in XFree86 4.0 final release.

> OK, I'm running RH6.1 w/ the XF 3.3.5 (?) binaries installed,
> I've just downloaded the RIVA-X-GLX 1.0 files from nvidia in an
> attempt to get GLX/3D acceleration to work.

> Question is:

> Should I allow the riva install script to overwrite my current
> SVGA server with it's own?  I know I'll have to manually modify
> my XF86Config to include the 16bit modes, but I'm not sure I want
> to let it overwrite the "stock" SVGA server.  Will it work if I don't
> let it?

> I guess I could just make some backups of the key files and let it go and see
> what happens....

> Ripp

TNT, GLX and RH 6.1 XFree

Post by David Vrabe » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

Quote:> OK, I'm running RH6.1 w/ the XF 3.3.5 (?) binaries installed,
> I've just downloaded the RIVA-X-GLX 1.0 files from nvidia in an
> attempt to get GLX/3D acceleration to work.

> Question is:

> Should I allow the riva install script to overwrite my current
> SVGA server with it's own?  I know I'll have to manually modify
> my XF86Config to include the 16bit modes, but I'm not sure I want
> to let it overwrite the "stock" SVGA server.  Will it work if I don't
> let it?

> I guess I could just make some backups of the key files and let it go and see
> what happens....

I'd backup the existing SVGA server and your XF86Config file.

The install program will add some lines to the end of you XF86Config file
only so there's no need to manually edit the config file.

David Vrabel

TNT, GLX and RH 6.1 XFree

Post by GMOL » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Did you get your OpenGL working?
I have a diamond viper 770 with X-3-3-1 and when I run the Riva install
script, I get core dumps (I am almost postive it is form the Load Modules
Section where glx.so is loaded from XF86Config)...
At one point I could get some of the Mesa demos to open, but just blank
black screen (upon running oglinfo, the renderer was pointing to nvdia..)
IF you have HW accelerated working with you tnt2 chipset please let me
know.

> >You don't have to install the drivers from NVidia. They are included in
XFree86
> >3.3.5 and above. And be aware that they only work in 8 and 16 bit color
for now.
> >Apparently this will be fixed in XFree86 4.0 final release.

> I'm talking about getting OpenGL 3D stuff to work w/ GLX.

> Anyhow, I got it working, I just let riva's install script do it's
thing.  So
> far it seems to work flawlessly.  But the Mesa Demos don't tell me if
I've got

                    http://www.searchlinux.com