Compaq Deskpro 433/I video

Post by Tim Wilso » Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I've got about 30 Compaq Deskpro 433/I computers for my science
department that I'd like to turn into Linux-based workstations. The
computers have the Compaq QVision 1024/I chipset with 512k of on-board
VRAM.

I've noticed that there is an Accelerated-X driver for the QVision
driver, but I can't afford commercial X licenses for these machines. So
I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting this combo running with
XFree? The computers have 240 MB HDs and 16 MB RAM.

Will I be able to run X in 800x600x8bit mode with this much memory?

There's a VRAM expansion module to upgrade the amount of video memory on
the motherboard. Does anyone know of a good third-party vendor for
Compaq parts? The official Compaq part is $120. Unless I can find a
really good price for the expansion module, I'll probably end up buying
a bunch of 1 MB ISA video cards and disabling the on-board video.

Later,
Tim

--
Timothy Wilson              | Powered by Linux |      Check out:
Henry Sibley High School    |                  | http://www.redhat.org