Alas a colorless Netscape

Post by Chip Grandit » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm successfully running Netscape on Debian Linux 1.3.1 with XFree86 XWindows
using the FVWM windows manager.  One annoying bug is I don't get color for the
images that are part of the Netscape Application Itself.  Almost all the
Pictures and Icons are in Black and Gray.
One notable exception is that the Netscape NetHelp window has nice full color
Images (The Navigator, Message Center, Composer and other Communicator windows
do not).  Note I'm not talking about the pages or content I'm browsing (they're
fine), but the images of the Netscape Application itself.
I've tried copying a .fvwmrc file from a website which showed a fvwm screenshot
which contained  netscape navigator with full color images.  But that didn't
work (it was still a great improvement to my desktop, though).  I also tried
commenting out the line in my .xinitrc where xrdb loads my .Xdefaults file but
that didn't help create color for Netscape.
I'm totally confounded - even some lead would be greatly appreciated.
-Thank You,
Chip Grandits

Alas a colorless Netscape

Post by Ashwin Biha » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I'm successfully running Netscape on Debian Linux 1.3.1 with XFree86 XWindows
> using the FVWM windows manager.  One annoying bug is I don't get color for the
> images that are part of the Netscape Application Itself.  Almost all the
> Pictures and Icons are in Black and Gray.
> One notable exception is that the Netscape NetHelp window has nice full color
> Images (The Navigator, Message Center, Composer and other Communicator windows
> do not).  Note I'm not talking about the pages or content I'm browsing (they're
> fine), but the images of the Netscape Application itself.
> I've tried copying a .fvwmrc file from a website which showed a fvwm screenshot
> which contained  netscape navigator with full color images.  But that didn't
> work (it was still a great improvement to my desktop, though).  I also tried
> commenting out the line in my .xinitrc where xrdb loads my .Xdefaults file but
> that didn't help create color for Netscape.
> I'm totally confounded - even some lead would be greatly appreciated.
> -Thank You,
> Chip Grandits

At what color depth are you running X-Windows at?? If greater than 16,
than come down to 16 bit and see what happens..Regards

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

| NOTE: The E-mail address on top has been mangled to stop Spam Bots..please  |
|       use the address in this box for replying.                             |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

1. Seyon Colorless in XFree86 3.1!

After successfully getting XFree86 3.1 installed and functioning on my
system, I ran Seyon, and discovered that its colors no longer worked!
I downloaded the source for Seyon 2.1 and recompiled it with the new libs,
and still no luck (or colors).  If anyone knows how to get it working again,
please clue me in.  It may seem mildly frivolous, but to the extremely
compulsive, such things are vital!  ;-)

Thanks.

PS. And if you have xxgdb 1.08 working under XFree86 3.1, do tell!

                                       Scott R. Chilcote

2. AHA2940W Setup for the first time

3. Colorful dialing-in, colorless otherwise: Please help!

4. Redhat 7.0 and XMMS. Locks leaving X

5. Colorless Writeless Jed

6. OpenGL with old video card

7. alas! another IP masq question

8. KERNELD and Loadable Modules

9. Alas, poor network, can't connect... with RH5.RPC

10. Insignia Solutions' Unix versions of SoftWindows (alas, no FreeBSD)

11. ALAS! just increase var by one?

12. ALAS BABYLON

13. Non Netscape Proxy between Netscape Commerce Server & Netscape Browser