Install Ximian Gnone Desktop error

Post by Larry Marshal » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:49:12

On issuing command with root privileges:

  ./installer-rpm-glibc2.2-i386

on a Suse 7.3 system, I get the folowing messages:

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Gtk-WARNING **:-cannot open display:  :0.0

I am lost. Can anyone help?

TIA

Post by bur » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:43:01

> On issuing command with root privileges:

>   ./installer-rpm-glibc2.2-i386

> on a Suse 7.3 system, I get the folowing messages:

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Gtk-WARNING **:-cannot open display:  :0.0

Suse by default has the X security set up that way.

if you are starting X from the command line.
Logout of X.
Logout as a user
Login as root.
Restart X
Try again

if you are using the graphical login
Logout as that user
Login as root
Try again.

Hope this helps.

-burk

--

Post by Johan Lindquis » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 23:01:49

> On issuing command with root privileges:

>   ./installer-rpm-glibc2.2-i386

> on a Suse 7.3 system, I get the folowing messages:

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Gtk-WARNING **:-cannot open display:  :0.0

> I am lost. Can anyone help?

> TIA

Does

# xhost +localhost

make any difference?

hth,

      /Johan

--
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.          Perth --> *

We search for the truth / We could die upon the tooth
But the thrill of just the chase / Is worth the pain

1. 'unknown host' error after install of Ximian Desktop

Yesterday I set up Red Hat 7.3.  The box sits behind my Netgear
cable/dsl router.  The set up went well and I successfully configured
the NIC and was able to establish connectivity.  I decided to install
Ximian and after the reboot though I got the unknown host error.  I've
poured over several sites and archives and can't figure out what is
wrong.

This is what I have:

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 68.2.16.30
nameserver 68.1.208.30
search 68.2.16.30 68.1.208.30
domain ph.cox.net

/etc/hosts
192.168.0.4 redbox
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
localhost

/etc/host.conf
order hosts,bind

eth0
192.168.0.4
255.255.255.0
Gateway xx.x.xx.xxx [deleted actual ip]

I can ping the Red Hat NIC and the XP box 192.168.0.1.

In all the examples I've seen this appears to be correct, but
obviously something is amiss; suggestions as what to do next?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Digitak UNIX V3.2C crash info, where, please?

3. Can anyone install ximian desktop on mandrake8.1

4. 2.5.1 crashdump

5. Gnone panel crashing at desktop startup

6. lpr hangs my system for some minutes

7. Ximian Desktop vs. KDE?

8. Any way to print out IRQ's being used in linux?

9. ximian desktop 2

10. RedHat-7.3 with Ximian Gnome Desktop

11. How do you start the Ximian Desktop?

12. Ximian Desktop on Solaris 8

13. ximian desktop