1280x1024_and_16bpp

Post by Carl Kreide » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

This is surely an FAQ, but I can't find an answer.  I want a video card
that will do 1280x1024 at 16 bpp.  Can anyone recommend a card or a
place to find an answer?

--
Carl Kreider
 aka

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
and lines to code before I sleep. And lines to code before I sleep."
                                               Anonymous

1280x1024_and_16bpp

Post by Scott Murra » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: This is surely an FAQ, but I can't find an answer.  I want a video card
: that will do 1280x1024 at 16 bpp.  Can anyone recommend a card or a
: place to find an answer?

Pretty much any decent video card with 4M of memory should be able to
do this.  I'm running this mode right now on my Matrox Millenium II
4M.  You actually can run 24 bpp in 1280x1024 with 4M, but Netscape
doesn't seem to like 24 bpp very much.

Scott

     "Good, bad ... I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, "Army of Darkness"

1280x1024_and_16bpp

Post by Carl Kreide » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> : This is surely an FAQ, but I can't find an answer.  I want a video card
> : that will do 1280x1024 at 16 bpp.  Can anyone recommend a card or a
> : place to find an answer?

> Pretty much any decent video card with 4M of memory should be able to
> do this.  I'm running this mode right now on my Matrox Millenium II
> 4M.  You actually can run 24 bpp in 1280x1024 with 4M, but Netscape
> doesn't seem to like 24 bpp very much.

I hate it when I get in a hurry.  What I neglected to say is that, while
my S3 ViRGE card will to 1280x1024 at 16bpp, it insists on using
interlace and my brand new 19" monitor does not like interlace at all.
What I really wanted to find is a card that will run that res and depth
with interlace.

--
Carl Kreider
 aka

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
and lines to code before I sleep. And lines to code before I sleep."
                                               Anonymous

1280x1024_and_16bpp

Post by < » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> This is surely an FAQ, but I can't find an answer.  I want a video card
> that will do 1280x1024 at 16 bpp.  Can anyone recommend a card or a
> place to find an answer?

I've got an ATI Expression+ which will do 1280x1024 at 24 bpp. Any ATI with
a mach64 or better chipset and 4 meg of memory will do as far as I know. It
is also really well supported with Xwindows, and cheap like dirt.

1280x1024_and_16bpp

Post by Ia » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I hate it when I get in a hurry.  What I neglected to say is that,
> while my S3 ViRGE card will to 1280x1024 at 16bpp, it insists on
> using interlace and my brand new 19" monitor does not like interlace
> at all.  What I really wanted to find is a card that will run that
> res and depth with interlace.

but'll only just have enough memory to do it. Your 19" should handle
this with ease. Get an 8 meg MII and you can get the same rez with
memory to spare for acceleration, or can push it to 32 BPP with no
spare memory left. If the 24-bit part of the driver is ever fixed,
you'll be able to do 24-bit at this rez and still have a respectable
amount of RAM left for acceleration. I went for a 16 meg card in the
end, but didn't notice much speed improvement, but I think this is due
to my *processor/motherboard.

The MII is well supported and is apparently the best card for Xfree86
acceleration. I'm very pleased with it!

--

There are no facts, only opinions

1280x1024_and_16bpp

Post by Blair P. Hought » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Next question; did anyone ever find a fix for the "sparkles" I get at
>16bpp with my NVidia/riva128 4mb card?

Could be texture aliasing effects.  Something mathematical like that.
Could be you can't use 16bpp with that card, because it causes the
problem.

The kids at www.tridentmicro.com have a cheatsheet that mentions
sparkling in several places:

        http://www.tridentmicro.com/trident/html/glossary.htm

                                --Blair
                                  "This isn't sparkling anything; it's real Usenet."