turn off X when RH 6 boots?

Post by Holden McGro » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

How do I make rh6 boot to login prompt and not go graphical (as
opposed to postal) on me?

Is there a magic startup file somewhere that tells linux what to load
before anyone logs in ? I assume you have to be root to get at it

turn off X when RH 6 boots?

Post by Bob Tenne » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

 >How do I make rh6 boot to login prompt and not go graphical (as
 >opposed to postal) on me?
 >
 >Is there a magic startup file somewhere that tells linux what to load
 >before anyone logs in ? I assume you have to be root to get at it

/etc/inittab

Change the default run-level as instructed in the file.

Bob T.

turn off X when RH 6 boots?

Post by Medical Electronics La » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>  >How do I make rh6 boot to login prompt and not go graphical (as
>  >opposed to postal) on me?

>  >Is there a magic startup file somewhere that tells linux what to load
>  >before anyone logs in ? I assume you have to be root to get at it

> /etc/inittab

> Change the default run-level as instructed in the file.

> Bob T.

I just commented out the last line in
/etc/inittab.  I'm trying to get X to run
tho, and I can't quite figure out how to make
it go.  So I killed the auto start so I can
see the error messages when I run it from a
text screen.

Patience, persistence, truth
Dr. mike

turn off X when RH 6 boots?

Post by Jason P. Hollan » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >  >How do I make rh6 boot to login prompt and not go graphical (as
> >  >opposed to postal) on me?

> >  >Is there a magic startup file somewhere that tells linux what to load
> >  >before anyone logs in ? I assume you have to be root to get at it

> > /etc/inittab

> > Change the default run-level as instructed in the file.

> > Bob T.

> I just commented out the last line in
> /etc/inittab.  I'm trying to get X to run
> tho, and I can't quite figure out how to make
> it go.  So I killed the auto start so I can
> see the error messages when I run it from a
> text screen.

> Patience, persistence, truth
> Dr. mike

Actually,
  You want to change this line in /etc/inittab

# System initialization
id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

if you need to start X from the command line, type startx.

--
Jason P. Holland
Sprint Paranet - Unix Administrator

turn off X when RH 6 boots?

Post by Darryl L. Pier » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

;How do I make rh6 boot to login prompt and not go graphical (as
;opposed to postal) on me?

Change /etc/inittab to read

---8<[snip]---
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:
---8<[snip]---

As you can see, you can set what mode you wish to startup in this way. Just
don't try 0 or 6! =)

Is mise le meas,

| Resource Solutions, Int'l http://www.resourcesolutions.com/ |
| Voice: (919) 254-4583  Fax: (919) 543-7288  T/L: 444-4583   |

turn off X when RH 6 boots?

Post by Darryl L. Pier » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

;id:5:initdefault:

Arruh! I meant to change the cut-n-paste I did to have this line read:

id:3:initdefault:

It should have had a 3 and not a 5 there... Sorry, mate...