Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

Post by Lou » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
Its me again, asking for a little help & guidance.

I wanted to install an ICQ program.
I tried a few, I couldn't install them. Then I tried one more. And it
needed
gtk+ 1.2.1 , I went to install gtk+ 1.2.1, but it needed glib 1.2.1
these rest
of the story is as follows:

 I configured   "./configure"   glib 1.2.1
then "make"
then "make install"
It gave no warning/error messages. So I assumed(& hoped) it installed
correctly.

Then I "./configure"
gtk+ 1.2.1

And after configuring/checking it at the end it came up with this:

checking for glib-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.1... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config.
configure: error:
*** GLIB 1.2.1 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

I thought I just installed glib 1.2.1

I really don't know whats happening???
Can anyone please help me out.

Also I think I might have to remove some RPMs I've installed. Is there a
quick & easy way to do this?

Thanks to everyone for the help,
Lou.

Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

Post by Steven Blu » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:35:46 +0000, in aus.computers.linux Lou

>Hi,
>Its me again, asking for a little help & guidance.

>I wanted to install an ICQ program.
>I tried a few, I couldn't install them. Then I tried one more. And it
>needed
>gtk+ 1.2.1 , I went to install gtk+ 1.2.1, but it needed glib 1.2.1
>these rest
>of the story is as follows:

> I configured   "./configure"   glib 1.2.1
>then "make"
>then "make install"
>It gave no warning/error messages. So I assumed(& hoped) it installed
>correctly.

at this point you need to type (as root) ldconfig

Quote:>Then I "./configure"
>gtk+ 1.2.1

>And after configuring/checking it at the end it came up with this:

>checking for glib-config... no
>checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.1... no
>*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
>*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
>*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
>*** full path to glib-config.
>configure: error:
>*** GLIB 1.2.1 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
>*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

>I thought I just installed glib 1.2.1

>I really don't know whats happening???
>Can anyone please help me out.

>Also I think I might have to remove some RPMs I've installed. Is there a
>quick & easy way to do this?

>Thanks to everyone for the help,
>Lou.

Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

Post by Regit Youn » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Check /etc/ld.so.conf

Is /usr/local/lib in it? If not appemd to it and run ldconfig and try again.

Post by Stuart Mile » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I just tried.
> I typed ldconfig
> after a few seconds, I typed ./configure in gtk+ directory.
> Same problem, it says it needs glib.  :(

I got caught out by a similar one to this. The result from the previous
configure attempt is being cached.  Delete the files that were created when you
ran it first, you may be able to do this with make clean or make distclean, and
then run ./configure again.

The other way you may get caught is that when you did the make install for GTK
the files were probably put in a local tree that may not be in your path for
ldconfig.

--

Alenia Marconi Systems               Phone: +44 1276 63311

Views expressed are mine and not those of Alenia Marconi Systems

Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

Post by Stuart Mile » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> The other way you may get caught is that when you did the make install for GTK

Sorry, make that glib not GTK.

--

Alenia Marconi Systems               Phone: +44 1276 63311

Views expressed are mine and not those of Alenia Marconi Systems

Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

Post by SunDo » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I had this problem last night - even after running ldconfig; banged my head on
the desk for a while...
if you look at the error below, it says:
'*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found"
type "whereis glib-config" (or "find / -name glib-config -print" if that fails)
to track it down.
[Mine was in /usr/local/lib, but that was glib-1.1.16]

then add that to your path before you build [e.g:PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/lib]

Having said that, the next error you'll get is 'can't find X11/Intrinsic.h'
[ Looked over config.log, which says I don't have X installed???]

Do I need to install the "X-devel rpms? I've only been running Linux for a
week, so I haven't got a Scooby.

--
o`o?,??,?o`o?,??,?o`o?,??,?o`o?,??,?o`o?,
Harrisberger's Fourth Law of the Lab:

Richard Davies - NTLi Business Technical Support

0800 052 3000
?,??,?o`o?,??,?o`o?,??,?o`o?,??,?o`o?,??,?o

Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

Post by Paul D. Smi » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

  sm> I got caught out by a similar one to this. The result from the
  sm> previous configure attempt is being cached.  Delete the files that
  sm> were created when you ran it first, you may be able to do this
  sm> with make clean or make distclean, and then run ./configure again.

The only thing you have to delete is the config.cache file, then re-run
./configure.  All cached info is in that one file.

FYI.

Post by Lou » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I just tried.
I typed ldconfig
after a few seconds, I typed ./configure in gtk+ directory.
Same problem, it says it needs glib.  :(

Thanks for the help anyways,
Lou.

> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:35:46 +0000, in aus.computers.linux Lou

> >Hi,
> >Its me again, asking for a little help & guidance.

> >I wanted to install an ICQ program.
> >I tried a few, I couldn't install them. Then I tried one more. And it
> >needed
> >gtk+ 1.2.1 , I went to install gtk+ 1.2.1, but it needed glib 1.2.1
> >these rest
> >of the story is as follows:

> > I configured   "./configure"   glib 1.2.1
> >then "make"
> >then "make install"
> >It gave no warning/error messages. So I assumed(& hoped) it installed
> >correctly.

> at this point you need to type (as root) ldconfig

> >Then I "./configure"
> >gtk+ 1.2.1

> >And after configuring/checking it at the end it came up with this:

> >checking for glib-config... no
> >checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.1... no
> >*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
> >*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> >*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
> >*** full path to glib-config.
> >configure: error:
> >*** GLIB 1.2.1 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
> >*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

> >I thought I just installed glib 1.2.1

> >I really don't know whats happening???
> >Can anyone please help me out.

> >Also I think I might have to remove some RPMs I've installed. Is there a
> >quick & easy way to do this?

> >Thanks to everyone for the help,
> >Lou.

Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

Post by Regit Youn » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Do I need to install the "X-devel rpms? I've only been running Linux for a
> week, so I haven't got a Scooby.

Yes, I'm afraid so ...

Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

Post by George Georgaki » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Did you add the relevant paths to  /etc/profile and /etc/ld.so.config files
(this is assuming you're using Slackware)?

George
I never reply by email as a) I don't give out my real email address freely,
and b) it stops other NG users from reading the solutions to problems
I can be contacted thru hurro(a)hotmail.com

> I just tried.
> I typed ldconfig
> after a few seconds, I typed ./configure in gtk+ directory.
> Same problem, it says it needs glib.  :(

> Thanks for the help anyways,
> Lou.

> > On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:35:46 +0000, in aus.computers.linux Lou

> > >Hi,
> > >Its me again, asking for a little help & guidance.

> > >I wanted to install an ICQ program.
> > >I tried a few, I couldn't install them. Then I tried one more. And it
> > >needed
> > >gtk+ 1.2.1 , I went to install gtk+ 1.2.1, but it needed glib 1.2.1
> > >these rest
> > >of the story is as follows:

> > > I configured   "./configure"   glib 1.2.1
> > >then "make"
> > >then "make install"
> > >It gave no warning/error messages. So I assumed(& hoped) it installed
> > >correctly.

> > at this point you need to type (as root) ldconfig

> > >Then I "./configure"
> > >gtk+ 1.2.1

> > >And after configuring/checking it at the end it came up with this:

> > >checking for glib-config... no
> > >checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.1... no
> > >*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
> > >*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> > >*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
> > >*** full path to glib-config.
> > >configure: error:
> > >*** GLIB 1.2.1 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
> > >*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

> > >I thought I just installed glib 1.2.1

> > >I really don't know whats happening???
> > >Can anyone please help me out.

> > >Also I think I might have to remove some RPMs I've installed. Is there
> > >quick & easy way to do this?

> > >Thanks to everyone for the help,
> > >Lou.

Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

Post by Janus N. T?nderin » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

At default gtk and glib installs into /usr/local - if it is NOT in your
path - the configure scirpt
can't find them. Maybe try to install 'em into /usr  with
./configure --prefix=/usr

> Hi,
> Its me again, asking for a little help & guidance.

> I wanted to install an ICQ program.
> I tried a few, I couldn't install them. Then I tried one more. And it
> needed
> gtk+ 1.2.1 , I went to install gtk+ 1.2.1, but it needed glib 1.2.1
> these rest
> of the story is as follows:

>  I configured   "./configure"   glib 1.2.1
> then "make"
> then "make install"
> It gave no warning/error messages. So I assumed(& hoped) it installed
> correctly.

> Then I "./configure"
> gtk+ 1.2.1

> And after configuring/checking it at the end it came up with this:

> checking for glib-config... no
> checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.1... no
> *** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
> *** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> *** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
> *** full path to glib-config.
> configure: error:
> *** GLIB 1.2.1 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
> *** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

> I thought I just installed glib 1.2.1

> I really don't know whats happening???
> Can anyone please help me out.

> Also I think I might have to remove some RPMs I've installed. Is there a
> quick & easy way to do this?

> Thanks to everyone for the help,
> Lou.

1. Making changes to env variables and making them stick

I am a complete newbie to the Unix environment. We are running Solaris
8. Every time I make a change to the environment variables for a
particular user (notes, sybase, etc. ) the change doesn't stick after
i log off as that particular user. Does anyone have any suggestions on
how to make the changes stick regardless of if and when you log off?

Thanks in advance.

Deepika

2. Mandrake-Linux Monitor

3. Making a new kernel - CVSuped, not made world yet.

4. diskless sun and nfsd errors

5. Mandrake Makes Money From Bugs was: Mandrake Update HOSES a working system :(

6. ASCII 2 PS Formatter??

7. problems making a boot disk :( , help

8. RPC: port mapper failure

9. makes failing too often... :(

10. Contex A0 scanner makes me feel ugly :(

11. Windows makes you feel special...sob :(

12. Microsoft FrontPage makes me sick :(

13. Contex A0 scanner makes me feel ugly :(