NVidia Gamma Problem

Post by oracol » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I own a Riva128 card, which works quite fine, but has a small
problem... the default gamma setting is veery dark.

In Windows, I use the gamma loader provided by Adobe to lighten things
up... but what about X?

In the man pages I read that the gamma can be set by giving the
appropriate values for r, g, and b in the command line used to load X.
However, this does not seem to work. I use the acelerated server
distributed along with XFree86, which should have complete Riva128
support.

And, yes, I already set the brightness control on my monitor to its
maximum value... :)

NVidia Gamma Problem

Post by Thomas Regne » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

> I own a Riva128 card, which works quite fine, but has a small
> problem... the default gamma setting is veery dark.

> In Windows, I use the gamma loader provided by Adobe to lighten things
> up... but what about X?

[snip]

theres a cute little cmdline-tool named xgamma

        xgamma -gamma 2.0 --> let there be light

you may apply a different value for the rgb-gamma settings as well
        xgamma -rgamma f.f -ggamma f.f -bgamma f.f

hope this helps

Tom
--

NVidia Gamma Problem

Post by oracol » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

<snip on Thomas Regner piece of advice>

Thanks a lot! ^__^

NVidia Gamma Problem

Post by Harri Haataj » Mon, 02 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Is there a way to load the windos monitor files or at least some data
from them and use that on X?

NVidia Gamma Problem

Post by Toby Hayne » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

  Harri> Is there a way to load the windos monitor files or at least some data
  Harri> from them and use that on X?

Just find the Section "Device" part of the XF86Config file and add

   Gamma 2.2

to it. That should make any driver which support Gamma correction use a value
of 2.2 on startup

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

NVidia Gamma Problem

Post by Harri Haataj » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>   Harri> Is there a way to load the windos monitor files or at least some data
>   Harri> from them and use that on X?

Must curious quoting style.
Broken As Designed IMO.

Quote:> Just find the Section "Device" part of the XF86Config file and add

>    Gamma 2.2

> to it. That should make any driver which support Gamma correction use a value
> of 2.2 on startup

I know this and what does it have to do with my question??

NVidia Gamma Problem

Post by Toby Hayne » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

  Harri> Is there a way to load the windos monitor files or at least
  Harri> some data from them and use that on X?
[snip]
  Harri> Must curious quoting style.  Broken As Designed IMO.

You don't like it? Hmmm - guess you haven't used Gnus for reading mail
much then. I prefer it over standard quoting, but it is hardly
ubiquitous yet. You see it a lot more in the Emacs newsgroups - its
provided by the SuperCite package.

  Toby> Just find the Section "Device" part of the XF86Config file and
  Toby> add
  Toby>
  Toby> Gamma 2.2
  Toby>
  Toby> to it. That should make any driver which support Gamma
  Toby> correction use a value of 2.2 on startup

  Harri> I know this and what does it have to do with my question??

The title of this thread is 'NVidia Gamma Problem'. You take the Windows
gamma level you have in your display settings and put them into your
config file as described. There is no method I know of for parsing the
Windows monitor settings and using them directly or indirectly for
XFree86 - you need to take note of the settings as you can see them and
configure XFree86 accordingly. If you need more information than that, I
suggest renaming the thread to something more descriptive!

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do
not necessarily reflect those of IBM Canada.

1. Gamma correction on XF86 4.1 and NVidia riva128

(Maybe someone has posted this before, but I cannot find it).

I use XFree86 4.1.0 and the nv.o driver in it.  Gamma correction
is turned on, which works mostly fine.  But when I scroll something
(for example in a browser) or move a window, everything scrolled or
moved get un-gamma-corrected color.  It looks really ugly.

Color depths 15 and 24 both yield the same results.

2. SUMMARY: DLPI documentation

3. Accelerated gamma correction does not work for NVIDIA riva128

4. PPPd problem

5. Upgraded from 2.2-GAMMA to 2.2-RELEASE: problems...

6. Need help with 3rd party printers

7. ppp problems with 2.2-GAMMA

8. Where does Solaris store NIC info?

9. 2.2-970302-GAMMA install problems

10. 2.2-GAMMA-0225 boot floppy causing boot problem

11. FreeBSD 2.2-GAMMA problem with Diamond Speedstar 64 graphics adapter

12. more info on my dj400 print gamma problem

13. Project: NVIDIA--NVIDIA drivers for Solaris 7