Ghostview and Canon BJ-200

Post by Robert Harold Sin » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am currently trying to print a PS file on my Canon BJ-200, and all it does
is sit there.  Running gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 file.ps does
not work either.  Sending normal text files via lpr/lpd works fine.

I am running:
        Linux kernel 2.0.20 (Slackware 3.0)
        gcc-2.7.2p
        Ghostview 1.5
        Pentium 66MHz, 24MB, 2GB HD, 2MB S3Trio64
        Black&White Canon BJ-200

-- rhs

Ghostview and Canon BJ-200

Post by paul gangwis » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I am currently trying to print a PS file on my Canon BJ-200, and all it does
>is sit there.  Running gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 file.ps does
>not work either.  Sending normal text files via lpr/lpd works fine.

>I am running:
>    Linux kernel 2.0.20 (Slackware 3.0)
>    gcc-2.7.2p
>    Ghostview 1.5
>    Pentium 66MHz, 24MB, 2GB HD, 2MB S3Trio64
>    Black&White Canon BJ-200

>-- rhs

Robert,
I have a similar setup to yours.  I VERY strongly recommend you get
a package called bjf from sunsite.  It gives very detailed and accurate
instructions on setting up printing filters, including gs, for the BJ-200.
I guarantee that it will be worth your while.

--
Paul Gangwisch

Ghostview and Canon BJ-200

Post by paul gangwis » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Robert,
>I have a similar setup to yours.  I VERY strongly recommend you get
>a package called bjf from sunsite.  It gives very detailed and accurate
>instructions on setting up printing filters, including gs, for the BJ-200.
>I guarantee that it will be worth your while.

Ooops,
bjf does NOT have instructions for gs filters... <blush>
I still recommend it highly for accessing all the features
<and avoiding the bugs> in the BJ-200.

Here's my postscript filter for the BJ-200:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/gs/ -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=bj200 -r360x360 -sOutputFile=- -

--
Paul Gangwisch

Ghostview and Canon BJ-200

Post by Bryan Whit » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I actually found the APS Magic print filter for Linux extremely easy to
setup and install - works like a dream. (Just beware of the README file -
it's apparently out of date) Didn't even burp when I upgraded to GS 4.01.
The Linux Printing HOWTO has the ftp location.

> >I am currently trying to print a PS file on my Canon BJ-200, and all it
does
> >is sit there.  Running gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 file.ps
does
> >not work either.  Sending normal text files via lpr/lpd works fine.

> >I am running:
> >       Linux kernel 2.0.20 (Slackware 3.0)
> >       gcc-2.7.2p
> >       Ghostview 1.5
> >       Pentium 66MHz, 24MB, 2GB HD, 2MB S3Trio64
> >       Black&White Canon BJ-200

> >-- rhs

> Robert,
> I have a similar setup to yours.  I VERY strongly recommend you get
> a package called bjf from sunsite.  It gives very detailed and accurate
> instructions on setting up printing filters, including gs, for the
BJ-200.
> I guarantee that it will be worth your while.

> --
> Paul Gangwisch

Ghostview and Canon BJ-200

Post by Chang Zho » Mon, 23 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi, everyone.
I had the BJC4100 working with the Ghostview(2.?) along with
the GhostScript (4.?) working with the Windows, since it comes
with the executables.  But I couldn't get the same thing working
on Linux.  Even with the Windows version, I have to try all device
drivers for the Canon printer since there is no driver for BJC4100.
The one worked is for BJC600.  Now, I have to switch the OS if
I need to print a PS file.  My hope is that some one has already
seen the light.
Thanks.
--- Chang

Ghostview and Canon BJ-200

Post by Warwick Allis » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi, everyone.
>I had the BJC4100 working with the Ghostview(2.?) along with
>the GhostScript (4.?) working with the Windows, since it comes
>with the executables.  But I couldn't get the same thing working
>on Linux.  Even with the Windows version, I have to try all device
>drivers for the Canon printer since there is no driver for BJC4100.
>The one worked is for BJC600.  Now, I have to switch the OS if
>I need to print a PS file.  My hope is that some one has already
>seen the light.

Note that you will probably need *Aladin* GhostScript, as the GNU one
doesn't have BJC600 support, I believe.  Perhaps this is what you have
with the Windows one.  Sounds funny that you have to swap to Windows
to run a Unix-originated program!  Alladin GhostScript is freeware still.

No, I don't know where it is (or I would have told you).

--
Warwick
--

/     * <- Comp Sci Department,     Hackers do it with fewer instructions
\_.-._/    Univ. of Queensland,    ---------------------------------------

1. Printcap for Canon BJ-200

I just purchased a Canon BJ-200 printer for my computer and am having trouble
finding a printcap file for it.  If there is anyone out there that may have
one or knows were to get one,  I'd appreciate it.  Also,  if there are any other
files or filters or whatever that may make my printer run more efficently I'd
appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Thanks for your time in this matter.

---
Jaroslaw Knap
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ
phone: (602) 965 3604
fax  : (602) 965 1384

2. Q:Are there really any _apps_ for Linux?

3. Canon BJ-200 & Linux?

4. blanking the screen

5. printcap entry for Canon BJ-200??

6. Anybody running NetDynamics???

7. Canon BJ-200??

8. Where is BIG-IDE FAQ?

9. How to print on Canon BJ-200 from Netscape

10. Canon BJ-200 printcap..

11. Ghostscript and Canon BJ-200

12. Canon BJ-200 Driver?

13. DVIPS AND CANON BJ-200