backspace and delete stopped working

Post by Rich Carrei » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I just upgraded to RH 4.2 and XFree86 3.3.  I've been using the Mach64
server before and after the upgrade.  Since the upgrade, delete and
backspace no longer work in xwindow dialog boxes, etc (but ^H does).
When I look at what the server spews when it fires up, I see
   sh: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp: file not found
   Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Sure enough, it's not there.  But it does exist in /usr/X11R6/bin.
So I make a symlink and try again.  This time I get:
   The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
   > Error:            Can't find file "xfree86" for keycodes include
   >                   Exiting
   >                   Abandoning keycodes file "default"
   Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
   Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Any ideas on how to fix this?

--
Rich Carreiro

UUCP: ...!mit.edu!rlcarr

Post by Sam Cleg » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I just upgraded to RH 4.2 and XFree86 3.3.  I've been using the Mach64
> server before and after the upgrade.  Since the upgrade, delete and
> backspace no longer work in xwindow dialog boxes, etc (but ^H does).
> When I look at what the server spews when it fires up, I see
>    sh: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp: file not found
>    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

does anyone know about XKB?
i'm having the same problem with RH 5.1.  i assume they would
have included it but i have no /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp either??

--
Sam Clegg

ICQ    : 14962308
web    : www.sclegg.demon.co.uk

Post by James Youngm » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> does anyone know about XKB?
> i'm having the same problem with RH 5.1.  i assume they would
> have included it but i have no /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp either??

I tried to find some documentation about XKB, gave up and used JWZ's
xkeycaps program instead of trying to understand it.  The URL is
"about:jwz".

--

Post by Rich Carrei » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>> I just upgraded to RH 4.2 and XFree86 3.3.  I've been using the Mach64
>> server before and after the upgrade.  Since the upgrade, delete and
>> backspace no longer work in xwindow dialog boxes, etc (but ^H does).
>> When I look at what the server spews when it fires up, I see
>>    sh: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp: file not found
>>    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

>does anyone know about XKB?
>i'm having the same problem with RH 5.1.  i assume they would
>have included it but i have no /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp either??

Well, the file does exist as /usr/X11R6/bin/xkbcomp, but when I do:
# cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
# ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/xkbcomp xkbcomp
and then restart X, I get:
   The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
   > Error:            Can't find file "xfree86" for keycodes include
   >                   Exiting
   >                   Abandoning keycodes file "default"
   Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
   Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Can anyone tell me what shell script (containing the call to xkbcomp)
is ultimately called when the X server starts up?  I can't seem to find
it on my system.  I'm hoping that by fixing something in it I can get
XKB to work properly.

--
Rich Carreiro

UUCP: ...!mit.edu!rlcarr

1. telnet to linux Backspace work; rsh xterm Backspace don't work

   Hi there,
subject say it. If I log into our linux-machine (SUSE 6.0) via telnet or

rlogin I have no problems working with the Backspace and Delete key, but

I see inverted characters if I do an ls -la or an man.

If I do a rsh -n linux.machine -l hl xterm -display ...... -T ....
(what I prefer) I have no problems with inverted character and man
worked all well, BUT the Backspace and Delete key give me an ~

Which screw I have to turn, that the Backspace key worked. What I tried
was stty erase '^C' and stty erase '^?' but nothing worked....

any hint...

thanks a lot
Dirk Hellmann

2. Read memory from pci device

3. backspace does delete not backspace

4. TAR help

5. how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?

6. OSR5 installation issues

7. backspace delete doesn't work with some prompts

8. NJ Position Available: System Admin/Developer

9. How to get BACKSPACE & DELETE working with Emacs 19.29 under X?

10. Getting KEYS to work (DELETE, BACKSPACE)

11. Backspace and delete doesn't work in vi whilst in nxterm

12. Delete/BackSpace not working in openwin?

13. backspace & delete - how to make them work