modeline problem

Post by Tim Fahert » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Sorry to post such a mundane question, but I've
got a problem I cant nail.. I have a maxtech
xt-7800 monitor I'm trying to get running 1024x768
res under Linux. It's specs are:
hor freq: 30-66khz
vert freq: 50-90hz
bandw: 75 mhz
and will do 1280x1024 non interlaced

My problem is that I can get it to do 800x600,
but thats it. I had it running 1024 earlier last
year, but I lost data on my sys drive and that
included /etc. So basically, I dont remember how I
got it running before.. I've read ALOT of docs
over the last few days, tried xvidtune and manual
tinkering, and I have searched for web info, but
no dice. Has ANYONE got a working modeline for me?
It's gotta be non-interlaced.. I would appreciate
the help very much.

Thanks in advance.
-Tim

modeline problem

Post by Timo Toivone » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>Sorry to post such a mundane question, but I've
>got a problem I cant nail.. I have a maxtech
>xt-7800 monitor I'm trying to get running 1024x768
>res under Linux. It's specs are:
>hor freq: 30-66khz
>vert freq: 50-90hz
>bandw: 75 mhz
>and will do 1280x1024 non interlaced

>My problem is that I can get it to do 800x600,
>but thats it. I had it running 1024 earlier last
>year, but I lost data on my sys drive and that
>included /etc. So basically, I dont remember how I
>got it running before.. I've read ALOT of docs
>over the last few days, tried xvidtune and manual
>tinkering, and I have searched for web info, but
>no dice. Has ANYONE got a working modeline for me?
>It's gotta be non-interlaced.. I would appreciate
>the help very much.

>Thanks in advance.
>-Tim

What are the symptoms? Does X start at all? What are the error messages?
Maybe you have the wrong driver selected? Did you select the correct amount
of video memory?

modeline problem

Post by JPia » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

My problem is in the same area.
I've a video card:
    s3 virge 86c325
    4MB
    24 bits ramdac 135 MHZ output pixel rate

I'm using 1280x1024x8bpp but I wold like to use 1280x1024x16bpp.
The proble is that using 16bpp the ramdac max output pixel rate is 95 MHZ. I
don't
have a modeline for 95 MHZ.

My monitor;
   ctx 1785s

             hfreq 79.976
             hsync +
             vfreq 75.025
             vsync +

             hfreq 77.9
             hsync -
             vfreq 72.063
             vsync -

I must put a line in xf86config like
"1280x1024" 96 1280 x y z 1024 t w q

How do I find these values ?
Is it possible, considering the ramdac speed, to do what I want ?

Thanks
Biscaia.

modeline problem

Post by Peter Engstr? » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm sorry but it's not possible to get that kind of frequencies with at 95MHz
dot clock. But if you could bare with 1024x768...

/Peter

[big cut]

Quote:> I must put a line in xf86config like
> "1280x1024" 96 1280 x y z 1024 t w q

> How do I find these values ?
> Is it possible, considering the ramdac speed, to do what I want ?

> Thanks
> Biscaia.

1. X Window Modeline problem

Hello,

I have tried to use the nVidia Linux driver 0.9-6 to run X window on my
GeForce2 MX but when startx the X server abort with error messages something
like "No Mode left to use" and I saw all the Modelines are deleted in the
log file (due to vrefresh or hsync out of range). How can I tune the
modelines to be within range? I tried to change the XF86Config and
XF86Config-4 but fail....

Thanks in advance.
Geoffrey

2. lilo boot problems