Agpgart problems?: G400, DRI, and VIA Apollo KT133 Chipset (Asus A7V mobo)

Agpgart problems?: G400, DRI, and VIA Apollo KT133 Chipset (Asus A7V mobo)

Post by Guy Delamarte » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

How do I get DRI running?  I have XF4.0.1 running under RedHat 7.0 for
a Matrox G400 video card on an Asus A7V motherboard which uses the KT133
chipset for its North Bridge (on which the AGP port resides).  The DRI
module fails to load, and I can see a message in the kernel/system log
at the same time that
says:

kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
kernel: agpgart: Unsupported Via chipset, you might want to try
agp_try_unsupported=1.

I tried loading with the "unsupported" option and DRI loaded, but the
first time I tried anything with 3D the machine locked up.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks!

1. via kt133 chipset and agpgart

I am attempting to get the agpgart module to load on a machine with
the via kt133 chipset and an Athlon Thunderbird processor.  The kernel
is RH's 2.2.16 (with the ext3 patch); unfortunately, I am not having
very much luck.  (The point of the exercise is to use the utah-glx mga
module efficiently; I guess the same would apply if I were to try
XFree 4.x?)

This is the output from /sbin/modprobe agpgart on a RH 6.2 machine

/lib/modules/2.2.16-3.ext3/misc/agpgart.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.2.16-3.ext3/misc/agpgart.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.16-3.ext3/misc/agpgart.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.16-3.ext3/misc/agpgart.o: insmod agpgart failed

and here the corresponding lines from the syslog:

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
agpgart: Unsupported Via chipset, you might want to try agp_try_unsupported=1.
agpgart: no supported devices found.

I don't quite understand what the agp_try_unsupported=1 line is
supposed to mean.  I guess the problem is that the chipset isn't
supported.  Does anyone know whether there are improvements in 2.2.17/18
or in the 2.4.0-test series?  I have been rather unsuccessful trying
to find detailed info on agpgart as far as what is supported etc.

Anyways, maybe someone has had more luck or some ideas -- tia,

Stefan

2. Slow modem connection under Linux

3. Patch to agpgart for VIA Apollo Pro 133A - VIA694X chipset

4. su adm fail: Cannot set process environment.

5. Still IRQ routing problems with VIA (was: VIA KT133 chipset P CI crazyness...)

6. REQ: Information regarding fiber optics

7. Possible bug in USB or HID on asus mobo with via kt266 a chipset

8. root pw problem - URGENT

9. MSI K7T motherboard problems (VIA KT133 chipset)

10. AGPGART, Apollo Pro KT400 chipset, GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x

11. AMD Athlon Thunderbird and Asus A7V Mobo running Linux????????

12. Freeze on Asus A7V Mobo

13. VIA KT133 chipset PCI crazyness...