Problem with Slackware 3.1: "/dev/console; no such file or directory" error

Problem with Slackware 3.1: "/dev/console; no such file or directory" error

Post by G.T. Overne » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have just received InfoMagic's 6 CD set containing Slackware
'96 (presumably with the patch as of AUG-18, 1996).

After running xf86config from Slackware 3.1 (or Slackware96),
the error "/dev/console; no such file or directory" occurs.

I am using the S3-Trio64 drivers which worked perfectly with
the previous Slackware version. Linux 2.0.0 boots up nicely,
but X Windows does not start since SuperProbe and startx
are bringing all the same error "/dev/console; no such file
or directory". How can I fix this?

I can start X Windows with the RedHat 3.0.3 distribution,
but so far I prefer Slackware.

GTO

Post by Mikee » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I have just received InfoMagic's 6 CD set containing Slackware
> '96 (presumably with the patch as of AUG-18, 1996).

> After running xf86config from Slackware 3.1 (or Slackware96),
> the error "/dev/console; no such file or directory" occurs.

I'm a bit new to this XFree business, but I seem to remember the
following which I read somewhere.  It may or may not help.

   cd /dev; ./MAKDEV console

Mike.

Post by pbat.. » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I have just received InfoMagic's 6 CD set containing Slackware
>'96 (presumably with the patch as of AUG-18, 1996).
>After running xf86config from Slackware 3.1 (or Slackware96),
>the error "/dev/console; no such file or directory" occurs.
>I am using the S3-Trio64 drivers which worked perfectly with
>the previous Slackware version. Linux 2.0.0 boots up nicely,
>but X Windows does not start since SuperProbe and startx
>are bringing all the same error "/dev/console; no such file
>or directory". How can I fix this?
>I can start X Windows with the RedHat 3.0.3 distribution,
>but so far I prefer Slackware.
>GTO

I got the same problem!   Could you let me know if you fix that
problem, and I'll do the same!

Peter.

Problem with Slackware 3.1: "/dev/console; no such file or directory" error

Post by G.T. Overne » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Solution which worked in my case:

1)   go to /dev (where the devices are defined)
2)   make a symbolic link to tty00 with

           "ln -s /dev/tty00 console"

Gregor

Problem with Slackware 3.1: "/dev/console; no such file or directory" error

Post by pbat.. » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I have just received InfoMagic's 6 CD set containing Slackware
>'96 (presumably with the patch as of AUG-18, 1996).
>After running xf86config from Slackware 3.1 (or Slackware96),
>the error "/dev/console; no such file or directory" occurs.
>I am using the S3-Trio64 drivers which worked perfectly with
>the previous Slackware version. Linux 2.0.0 boots up nicely,
>but X Windows does not start since SuperProbe and startx
>are bringing all the same error "/dev/console; no such file
>or directory". How can I fix this?
>I can start X Windows with the RedHat 3.0.3 distribution,
>but so far I prefer Slackware.
>GTO

        I got the answer to this one now!  You will have to ftp devs.tgz from
sunsite or any other mirror site. I think it should be in
../slackware/slakware/a1.  Put it in your dev directory and unpack
with tar or pkgtool. I did it with pkgtool and everything worked
perfect.
         Now, there are more files that are missing in infomagic distribution.
Somebody  posted it in comp.os.linux.announce, check it out.

Good luck!
Peter.

Post by Gregor Overne » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>         I got the answer to this one now!  You will have to ftp devs.tgz from
> sunsite or any other mirror site. I think it should be in
> ../slackware/slakware/a1.  Put it in your dev directory and unpack
> with tar or pkgtool. I did it with pkgtool and everything worked
> perfect.
>          Now, there are more files that are missing in infomagic distribution.
> Somebody  posted it in comp.os.linux.announce, check it out.

> Good luck!
> Peter.

I tried this solution. The first time it worked great. However
after rebooting, X windows suddenly complained about "mouse
device busy or not present" and did not start up. Did you also
experience problems with the mouse after installing devs.tgz
with pkgtool? The other "solution" ln -s /dev/tty0 console seems
to work but I am sure it does not solve most problems with
Slackware 3.1.

Gregor

1. "> file" versus "cp /dev/null file"

"> file" is better than "cp /dev/null file"
because it does not fork another process.

So I should do
find file -exec > {} \;
instead
find file -exec cp /dev/null {} \;
right?

But it does not do what I want it to do. I even tried
find file -exec \> {} \;
what is the story? Thank you.
--
unix programs: niftp (non-interactive recursive ftp), hide (hide command args),
submit (replace nohup), etc from ftp://ftp.mindspring.com/users/mwang/unix-prog

2. wan latency

4. Booting a second kernel

5. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop

6. PCI initialization failure?

7. startx error message '/dev/console not found' in slackware 3.1

8. Linux and internal LS120 superdisk

10. syslogd: "/" in "/dev//dev/tty"

11. Why "fdisk /dev/hdb1" works but not "fdisk /dev/hdb"!?

12. "talk" in Slackware 3.1

13. How do I do "Dial-up" networking under Slackware 3.1?