X takes a long time to load

Post by Slip Gu » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a problem with X sometimes taking ages to load, but at other
times it is fine. I have a P2-350, 64Mb, so this shouldn't be a problem.

a RH 6.0 box with kernel 2.2.5-15.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers,
Ed

X takes a long time to load

Post by Kalin Theris » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have a similar problem....and on top of that when I am in X the screen
does not refresh properly...i.e. move a window, and the old position remains
and the new position overwrites...creating a garbled mess...
When I hit the ctrl + alt + F1 I can see these error messages...

KiKbd:X11 error:Bad Window(invalid Window parameter)
KCharset:Wrong charset!

I do not know enough about linux to locate the trouble myself, so any help
would be welcome
thanx
Kalin

> Hi,
> I have a problem with X sometimes taking ages to load, but at other
> times it is fine. I have a P2-350, 64Mb, so this shouldn't be a problem.

> a RH 6.0 box with kernel 2.2.5-15.
> Any help appreciated.
> Cheers,
> Ed

X takes a long time to load

Post by Dennis Roar » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Regarding the original post about random very long loads for
X windows using Red Hat 6.0:  I don't know what the problem
is but I have encountered it also.  Three "fixes" that seem
to help:

1)  If you have an IDE HD in LBA mode, then enable Linear
Boot mode in Lilo, either on install or in Linuxconf
2)  Force a file check, use terminal and issue
shutdown -Fr now
3) If X is taking long to start, just do a
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace,  this forces the start to begin again
and it invariably seems to start OK then.

Hope this helps someone.

>> Hi,
>> I have a problem with X sometimes taking ages to load, but at other
>> times it is fine. I have a P2-350, 64Mb, so this shouldn't be a problem.

>> a RH 6.0 box with kernel 2.2.5-15.
>> Any help appreciated.
>> Cheers,
>> Ed

---------------------------------
Dennis Roark
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Sioux Falls

Starting Points:  http://home.earthlink.net/~denro
---------------------------------

1. Sendmail takes long time to load

Hello!
I've got a very modified Redhat 5.2-System and I can't get sendmail to run
perfectly. Everytime it loads, it takes a long time. If one message is sent
the deamon just stops (Done). Another problem is that linuxconf always wants
to create an new sendmail.cf because it is not generated by linuxconf. I'm
rather new to Linux and don't know what to do now.I have an dial-up
connection to my provider and sendmail is called with "sendmail -bd -q1m". I
also tried to remove this and only start sendmail -q when my dial-up
connection is made but then my outgoing mail with xc-mail gets lost. Can
anyone help me ?
Please answer also by mail. Thank you.

Marc.

2. ATI RAGE 128

3. [Fwd: Re: Help: recv takes a long time to time out!]

4. HELP NEEDED: Creating a desktop manager for Linux

5. Help: recv takes a long time to time out!

6. ddd: dbx could not be started?

7. lemacs - Takes too long to load - Help!

8. IN-2000

10. Redhat takes too long to load ... please help

11. What takes Netscape and Mosaic so long to load

12. Telnet takes a long time to give a login prompt

13. application takes a long time to come up on DEC Unix 4.0