File associations

Post by Simon Hoff » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

How can I setup "file associations" in KDE - at the moment Star Office is
"associated" with .HTML files and I would like to change this. I've also
just installed WordPerfect and I would like all .WPD file to be associated
with it. I've discovered the "magic" file in /etc/ and added the
WordPerfect magic numbers to it, but KDE doesn't appear to be aware of
this.

In the .kdelnk properties there are four fields under "application", what
do the following mean and do:

Binary name (Netscape;netscape;)

Comment - I think I understand this one

Name (in your language) - what is this the name for and where does it get
displayed?

Then there are two boxs containing what looks to be file properties or
something, please could someone explain these to me (what the properties
are in reference to, and what the difference is between the left and
right-hand boxs).

Thanks in advance
Simon

--
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards.  I got a full
house and four people died."

|      Johannesburg, South Africa       ICQ#   37776651                |

File associations

Post by Emmanuel Touze » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

writes:
|> Hi All,
|>
|> How can I setup "file associations" in KDE - at the moment Star Office is
|> "associated" with .HTML files and I would like to change this. I've also
|> just installed WordPerfect and I would like all .WPD file to be associated
|> with it. I've discovered the "magic" file in /etc/ and added the
|> WordPerfect magic numbers to it, but KDE doesn't appear to be aware of
|> this.
|>
|> In the .kdelnk properties there are four fields under "application", what
|> do the following mean and do:

etc

|> Thanks in advance
|> Simon

Forget this. You need to launch kfm, go to the options menu, search for
something about mime types and application list - these are two different menus
(sorry, I cannot launch kfm from here), it's in the bottom of the menu.
Then you create the application if necessary; after you have clicked the correct
button, you'll have subdirectories (say Applications, Multimedia etc). You go to
the correct one, right click, add an application, configure it.
Then you add the mime type. Again go to the correct directory (text/), create
the application.
Now go back to the mime type menu, associate the mime type to the application.

I'm sorry, I can't use my computer right now, but it's something like this..

Hope I helped a little bit.
--
 Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your
coffee."

1. Open Windows File Manager File Associations

Just a quick question to those that are more experienced Sun'ies than me
Any idea where the file manager maintains its list of actions and icon
associations for files/ file types?
I looked around in /etc, /usr/openwin/etc, etc. :-) and no luck :-(
Thanx

I choose life! I'll live the best one that I can create! Join the ride!

2. Redhat 5.2 and KDE 1.1

3. KDE 3.0.1, kcontrol->File Browsing->File Associations icon bug?

4. During link: Cannot find libgcc.a - Please help me

5. File Manager and File associations

6. mediainit for scsi tape

7. CDE File Manager - file association.

8. RH5+lilo

9. gnome file association not being remembered

10. How to get my file associations back from Real1Player

11. File Associations on KDE

12. dtmail file associations

13. Nasty Annoying File Association Problem