adding icons to X menu. How?

Post by J. L » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am using fvwm95.  Can I add shortcuts onto the menu when I install
some new apps?  For example, after I installed Netscape Navigator, can
I add "Netscape" on to the floating menu?  How do I do it?

Thanks in advance.  Please reply via mail

adding icons to X menu. How?

Post by Richard Dubraws » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Correction to my last post,  copy the global fvwm2rc file to your home
directory as .fvwm2rc not .fvwmrc.  .fvwmrc is the name of the file used by
fvwm not fvwm2.  If you are using fvwm95 the file is called .fvwm2rc95

sorry for any confusion i may have induced.

adding icons to X menu. How?

Post by Richard Dubraws » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>>I am using fvwm95.  Can I add shortcuts onto the menu when I install
>>some new apps?  For example, after I installed Netscape Navigator, can
>>I add "Netscape" on to the floating menu?  How do I do it?

>>Thanks in advance.  Please reply via mail

>I hope someone answers this..!

Yes, you can add any program to any menu or even create new menus.

Take a look at your .fvwm2rc dile ( if you don't have one in your $HOME
directory then copy the global fvwm2rc file to your directory as .fvwmrc.

The file is very well documented and you can have some fun customizing your X
session to your personal tastes.

adding icons to X menu. How?

Post by Baro » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I went searching for this elusive file and can find it nowhere on my system.

>Nothing that even remotely looks like an rc file associated with fvwm.  Any
>clues..?  Where is this to be found..?

try /usr/lib/X11/system.fvwmrc
or /usr/lib/X11/fvwm/system.fvwmrc

Worked for me.

adding icons to X menu. How?

Post by Rich Dubrawsk » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

The standard slackware setup places the example fvwmrc file called
system.fvwmrc in the /etc/X11/fvwm directory.
I can't find the fvwm2 information but if it is on your system there will
be one.  I keep a generic file called fvwm2rc95 in /etc but that may not
be common.  I do it to allow users to access it for copying to their home
in case I forget when I setup the account.

 On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Larry

> >Correction to my last post,  copy the global fvwm2rc file to your home
> >directory as .fvwm2rc not .fvwmrc.  .fvwmrc is the name of the file used by
> >fvwm not fvwm2.  If you are using fvwm95 the file is called .fvwm2rc95

> >sorry for any confusion i may have induced.

> I went searching for this elusive file and can find it nowhere on my system.

> Nothing that even remotely looks like an rc file associated with fvwm.  Any
> clues..?  Where is this to be found..?

> Thanks,

>    Larry Jandro, [edit header to reply via e-mail]
>    *  LJ Video Engineering  *
>    *   near San Francisco   *
>    *    www.ljvideo.com     *
>    My Siberian journal photos are now being featured at
>    http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~mes/russia/siberia/east.html

adding icons to X menu. How?

Post by Rich Dubrawsk » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Nothing that even remotely looks like an rc file associated with fvwm.  Any
> clues..?  Where is this to be found..?

I just stumbled across it.  The example is called system.fvwm2rc95
and is located in:
/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95-2

I hope this helps.
Rich Dubrawski

adding icons to X menu. How?

Post by Daniel Lydd » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >I went searching for this elusive file and can find it nowhere on my system.

If you're having trouble finding files, try using the updatedb/locate
set of commands.  I beleive you must be root to use updatedb, but I
think locate works for anyone.

Hopefully you have man pages installed for these two.

Dan
--
Daniel Lyddy  http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daniell  UC-Berkeley, EECS
Department

     "Oh Speed, That Was Wonderful!" - Trixie

adding icons to X menu. How?

Post by David Robl » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I went searching for this elusive file and can find it nowhere on my system.

>Nothing that even remotely looks like an rc file associated with fvwm.  Any
>clues..?  Where is this to be found..?

>Thanks,

It may be there as system.fvwmrc or whatever. On my 1.2.13 it's to be found
in /var/X11R6/lib/fvwm. Judicious use of locate or find should pinpoint it
for you.

--
David Robley
WEBMASTER                          | http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/

adding icons to X menu. How?

Post by rupis.. » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I went searching for this elusive file and can find it nowhere on my system.

>Nothing that even remotely looks like an rc file associated with fvwm.  Any
>clues..?  Where is this to be found..?

If you can't find stuff, the next step is to read the man pages for
"find", or better yet, "updatedb" and "locate".

1. How to add icons and program group menu for a linux application.

I'm writing an installer for a linux app that should look and work
like the windows installer. Please don't tell me that i should create
a RPM or DEB package.

I think i found how to add an icon to the desktop. Its simply copying
a desktop-entry file described in
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry...
to the $HOME/Desktop or $HOME/.gnome-desktop directories.

But how can i add an entry/program-group to the desktop (start) menu ?
The only thing i that seems to be able to take desktop files is the
".kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments" directory.

I know that this is possible, because my Kylix installer does it.
So please give me a hint or tell me where i can find this information.

2. Does FTP to an internal site through a linux gateway work?

3. Adding icons to menus on gnome on Solaris 10

4. Dial-up from DOS PC to Interactive Unix

5. Debian-menus - can't add own positions to menu

6. Running Progress on Linux

7. Icons, Icon veiwer and Icon converter

8. XF86Config ATI & NEC

9. RH7 & KDE 2.1 upgrade, No icons in kde menu

10. Extending Icon Menus

11. Placing an icon on the menu

12. matrox g400 corrupt icons and menus

13. Open Office icons in KDE Menu?