X Term won't run with my graphics card!!!

X Term won't run with my graphics card!!!

Post by Kevin B. Maye » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

I have recently installed Read Hat Linux 4.0 (from a CD released in
October '96) along with X-Windows. The problem is though ,that X will
not run on my computer.
I have a ViewTop BP-S3Cx video card and an ADI?Microscan 4V monitor.The
video card is Trio64V2/DX compatible, yet in the Xconfigurator program I

have tried every different video card. They all give me an error
message
The message I get when I try to start X is as follows:

     S3: Unknown S3 chipset: chip_id=0x1e1 rev. 41
     *** None of the configured devices were detected ***
     Fatal server error:
     No Screens found

I would appreciate any help whatsoever!!!!
Thank you.

PS I am a very inexperienced user, so the more information you can
provide, the more greatful I will be. Thanks

Kevin Mayer

1. HELP: Graphics card won't reset to text mode after running X

I'm running the Slackware distribution of Linux & Xfree86 2.1.1
on a 486 using an ATI Graphics Wonder SVGA card (new cheap ATI card
that uses the Mach32 chip).

I can get X to start up fine, but if I then try to go back to
one of the other tty's, or if I quit out of X, the screen gets
all messed up and all I see are a bunch of short vertical lines
instead of text characters. I think the monitor is re-synching at
the proper rate, but the graphics mode is obviously wrong.

Any ideas? Is there somewhere I can configure what happens when the
system switches to a text screen? Is there some program I can run
to force the mode into a text mode?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel A. Segel

--
Daniel A. Segel, KD6NMT, DoD# 1007, T120V, R75/5, K75S
"MIT was after me, you know. Wanted me to rule the world for them."

2. Help turning these while 1 loops into a scripts

3. X Won't run with my graphics card/monitor

4. IDE CD ROM Install

5. x-term won't run...

6. running a script

7. Linuxconf won't run in graphics mode

8. Can't Toggle local echo in Linux telnet client

9. Trident 9680 graphics card won't use XAA in Red Hat 6.1

10. ATI Card on X windows won't run

11. Netgear FA411 ethernet pcmcia card won't run in RH 7.1