Xfree 3.3.3 and Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro,(errno 2) any ideas?

Xfree 3.3.3 and Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro,(errno 2) any ideas?

Post by Ted » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I get the error,

"execve failed for /usr/X11R6/bin/X (errno 2)"
" xixnit:   unexpected signal 2"

    I am using AGP card, disabled gpm after first failure. Using Slack 3.6
with 2.035 kernel. Have looked for this
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/ioport.c. file but can't seem to find 2.1.79
version. I am still learning, just past the basics.
The config goes fine, have all the specs for mouse, monitor and card right.
Says it is completed but won't work. I have tar files of newer
kernels, but don't quite feel ready for that yet. Have no clue what GCC
2.8.x is at all, a little explanation on that would, assumings it some kind
of compiler till I find out. Any recomendations would be greatly
appreciated, my old machine works fine with slack 3.3 and X 3.3.2. Won't
upgrade it till I get this one working.

    TIA,
    Ted

From FAQ page
Q.E11- XFree86 crashes on Linux systems with GCC 2.8.x
If your Linux kernel version is below than 2.1.79 (this includes ALL 2.0.xx
kernels), and is compiled with the new GCC 2.8.x, XFree86 will always crash
and dump a core file. This is NOT a problem with XFree86, but rather with
the Linux kernel. The problem is in the Linux kernel file
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/ioport.c. This file is not compiled
correctly with GCC 2.8.0. There are a number possible solutions:
compile the entire Linux kernel with an older GCC.
compile it with 2.8.0, but use an ioport.o file compiled with an older GCC.
replace ioport.c with the ioport.c file from linux kernel 2.1.79 or later
(this works for the 2.0.xx series kernels as well) and rebuild your kernel.