XDM/KDM

Post by Jean-Luc Nage » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi !

I successfully installed XFree86 3.3.3.1 and everything
works fine with my Matrox Millenium G200.

When I say "everything works fine" I mean that the SVGA
server runs with a startx command.  I installed some
managers and choosed KDE. But now I want to set the run
level to 5 to have the graphic login... Now things get more
complicated ! I give the login and the X server seem to
start but the screen gets blank and the top of the display
is dirty. Then the server closes and I return to the
previous login.

The questions are :

a) which files are needed by xdm for initialization, and
could cause a bad initialization of X, and are not used by
startx (because it works).
b) are there general, well known, newbies problems with xdm
? ;-)
c) any idea on how to determine what causes the crash is
welcome

Thx !

    Jean-Luc

XDM/KDM

Post by Staffan H?m? » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>start but the screen gets blank and the top of the display
>is dirty. Then the server closes and I return to the
>previous login.

It might be that the permissions for some of the xdm files
are not correct. Files that are missing, or links to directories
that are missing.

When the server closes, what kind of error message does it give you?

Quote:>a) which files are needed by xdm for initialization, and
>could cause a bad initialization of X, and are not used by
>startx (because it works).

Look in /etc/X11/xdm where you'll find all xdm configuration
files.

If /etc/X11/xdm doesn't exist, that might be what's wrong.
It should be a link to /usr/X11R6/blaha/blaha/xdm.
I can't check the path right now, but do try a 'locate xdm'.

Also, make a _soft_ link from your ~/.xinitrc to ~/.xsession.
(Soft link because it's simpler to have it that way if you
ever edit the .xinitrc with for example emacs. When emacs
makes a backupfile the .xsession link will go on pointing
at the old data if you edited .xinitrc).

1. Disabling GrabDisplay on xdm/kdm

I'm using an extra application on top of xdm-Login which should receive
keyboard-Input.
I know that this may be a potetial security problem but it's mainly used
in an restricted area of the LAN.
Appl. is written in TCL/TK, using the "grab -global <Window>" command.
I inserted the Line
"DisplayManager*grabServer:      false"
into the .../xdm-config, but the Server keeps being grabbed by xdm.
The Result is that my TK-Appl. tells me that another Application already
got the grab.

I always connect from remote using "X :1 -query ...".

Is there an actual working switch in the Configfile to letting
keyboard-Receptions happen by other Apps. than the Login-Panel?

System is RedHat 5.1, Intel. Although i think that shouldn't be the
matter.

Thanks

Steffen

Steffen Leich                   Phone: 06421-283144

Netzwerkadministration FB Wirtschaftswissenschaften

2. A lot of warning during compilation

3. How to trap output logs from xdm, kdm, startx, etc?

4. Generate line and bar charts

5. xdm/kdm and path Probs

6. RH 5.0 cd install probs

7. xdm/kdm port 1024 usage

8. Numeric keyboard problem under Mandrake Linux 7.0

9. XDM/KDM reboots systems

10. Alt-Gr keys don't work with XDM/KDM

11. XDM/KDM - no X after login

12. xdm / kdm login does not succeed