X Server for ATI 3D Xpression

Post by Stewart Mandel » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

1. Are there any commercial X Servers that work with the
ATI 3D Xpression (Rage II) board?

        2. Can I buy an older board cheaply that'll work in the
interim? Either through a secondary market or some kind soul who
has upgraded to a newer board.

        3. Should I ask Gateway 2000 from where I bought my
computer 3 weeks ago to replace the board with one that is
supported by Free XF86?

        I must get the X server working. I've important things
to do.

                                Thank you, Stewart

X Server for ATI 3D Xpression

Post by Victor A. Grinber » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm considering an ATI 3D Xpression+ PC2TV 4Mb for my new system, so I'm
pretty much interested in the same information as you are. What I
figured out so far, is that:

1. Are you sure yours is Rage II, and not Rage I? ATI homepage says 3D
Xpression is Rage I, and 3D Xpression+ PC2TV is Rage II.

2. Both Rage I, and Rage II are compatible with Mach 64. Hence you must
eventually be able to run the Mach64 X-server.

3. XFree86 homepage says version 3.2 (the latest, I hope that is what
you got) Mach64 X-server supports all Mach 64 cards, except older ISA
models. It mentions both Rage I and Rage II chips. It also says in the
"known bugs" section, "Rage II cards are not initialized properly".
Nothing bad is said about Rage I.

So, you saying, you got the card in your machine? Then I suppose you
could just try the Mach 64 server. Since I don't know what exactly "not
initialized properly" means, it may actually work after twiddling some
settings. Or, maybe, if you boot Win95, and then LOADLIN (w/o hard
reboot) the board will stay "initialized" from the Win95 session? In any
event, it looks like even if XFree86 version 3.2 doesn't run, the very
next release will.

Anyhow, let me know how it turns out with the Mach 64 server; and also
whether your card is really Rage II or Rage I.
 -vg

> 1. Are there any commercial X Servers that work with the
> ATI 3D Xpression (Rage II) board?

>         2. Can I buy an older board cheaply that'll work in the
> interim? Either through a secondary market or some kind soul who
> has upgraded to a newer board.

>         3. Should I ask Gateway 2000 from where I bought my
> computer 3 weeks ago to replace the board with one that is
> supported by Free XF86?

>         I must get the X server working. I've important things
> to do.

>                                 Thank you, Stewart

X Server for ATI 3D Xpression

Post by Victor A. Grinber » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

ATI homepage says Rage II is compatible with Mach64; however XFree86
homepage says that "Rage II cards are not initialized properly" (in the
"Known bugs" section of Mach64 server page).

The latest full-release version of XFree86 is 3.2; is that what you are
running? If yes, than there is a chance that Mach64 X-server will work
for you. It may require twiddling some parameters.

Or worse yet, it may only work after you boot, say, Win95 (which will
initialize the card), and then warm-reboot to linux. Or, maybe, it won't
work at all. In any case the very next release of XFree86 will probably
fix the RAGE II problems (if there are any, because to me the status is
still "unconfirmed" with what information I got).

I'm considering an "ATI 3D Xpression+ PC2TV 4Mb" for my new system, so
I'm pretty much interested in the same information as you are. And in
the results of your trials with Mach64 X-server. Please, if it's not too
much trouble, let me know how it works out.

Besides, are you sure your card is what you said it is (ATI 3D
Xpression)? Because ATI homepage says that "ATI 3D Xpression" is RAGE,
*not* RAGE II. Which means that one of the three pieces of information I
have is wrong: either "ATI 3D Xpression" is actually RAGE II; or your
card is RAGE; or your card is not "ATI 3D Xpression", but a newer
version.

XFree86 "Known bugs" page lists no bugs for RAGE, so it should,
supposedly, be supported by Mach64 server as it is. The card I'm
considering is, definitely, RAGE II. Please, re-check what exactly your
card is called, and what chip it uses, RAGE, or RAGE II.
 -vg

> 1. Are there any commercial X Servers that work with the
> ATI 3D Xpression (Rage II) board?

>         2. Can I buy an older board cheaply that'll work in the
> interim? Either through a secondary market or some kind soul who
> has upgraded to a newer board.

>         3. Should I ask Gateway 2000 from where I bought my
> computer 3 weeks ago to replace the board with one that is
> supported by Free XF86?

>         I must get the X server working. I've important things
> to do.

>                                 Thank you, Stewart

X Server for ATI 3D Xpression

Post by Edwin Huffstutl » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> 3. XFree86 homepage says version 3.2 (the latest, I hope that is what
> you got) Mach64 X-server supports all Mach 64 cards, except older ISA
> models. It mentions both Rage I and Rage II chips. It also says in the
> "known bugs" section, "Rage II cards are not initialized properly".
> Nothing bad is said about Rage I.

I asked the XFree people about Rage-II (3D Turbo Pro PC2TV, 3D Xpression+
PC2TV) support just yesterday.. the response I got was that it will be in
the next beta release in about a month... (yay!)

--
 Edwin Huffstutler       http://www.primenet.com/~edwinh/

Post by Azunna Anyan » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: Besides, are you sure your card is what you said it is (ATI 3D
: Xpression)? Because ATI homepage says that "ATI 3D Xpression" is RAGE,
: *not* RAGE II. Which means that one of the three pieces of information I
: have is wrong: either "ATI 3D Xpression" is actually RAGE II; or your
: card is RAGE; or your card is not "ATI 3D Xpression", but a newer
: version.

I've got the original 3D Xpression 2MB EDO.  It has the RAGE (not II)
chipset. X (FVWM-95-2) works fine. I run in 800x600x16 colors/bit (can't
remeber, probably color because I max out at 1152x768? or 1280.

: XFree86 "Known bugs" page lists no bugs for RAGE, so it should,
: supposedly, be supported by Mach64 server as it is. The card I'm

The RAGE is DEFINITELY supported

--
Azunna Anyanwu '00              Greenough User Assistant

Computer Science Concentrator / Pre-med

Post by Dong YA » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>         3. Should I ask Gateway 2000 from where I bought my
> computer 3 weeks ago to replace the board with one that is
> supported by Free XF86?

   I met the same nightmare as yours. My machine was also brought from a
Gateway 2000. I think you can ask Gateway 2000 to replace the video card
because there is a 30 days guarantee. Just dail the 800 number and
contact the custom representative.
   In my machine, I even can not let the XF86 work at the XF86_VGA16
server. Would you please list the parameters of the Xconfiguration and

   Thanks.

   Doug.

X Server for ATI 3D Xpression

Post by Doug Gerec » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

    Edwin> I asked the XFree people about Rage-II (3D Turbo Pro PC2TV,
    Edwin> 3D Xpression+ PC2TV) support just yesterday.. the response
    Edwin> I got was that it will be in the next beta release in about
    Edwin> a month... (yay!)

I've gotten my 3D Xpression+ PC2TV working in 800X600 8bpp mode, no
other.  Actually, it seems smaller than that but I haven't counted
pixels :).  The picture is stable though it kinda feels like tunnel
vision sinc I have the virtual screen size about twice the actual
size.

I keep twiddling with stuff hoping to get a higher res mode working.

--
          __  /    __  /    /   /    ___/            Doug Gerecht
         /   /    /   /    /   /    /

      _____/   _____/   _____/   _____/
--
          __  /    __  /    /   /    ___/            Doug Gerecht
         /   /    /   /    /   /    /

      _____/   _____/   _____/   _____/

1. ATI 3D Xpression or S3 VIRGE 3D

I am looking to buy a new video card, right now the two contenders
are the ATI 3D Xpression and a card based on the S3 VIRGE 3D chip.
Can either or both of these be used under Linux for 2D video.  Is
there any support in Linux to take advantage of the 3D or MPEG
extensions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Programmer/Analyst      phone:  (902) 468-3007
Seimac Limited          fax:    (902) 468-3009

2. help: prologue to ftp session

3. ATI 3D PRO TURBO PC2TV & 3D XPRESSION+ PC2TV

4. question about bootparams, hostconfig, whoami protocol, etc.

5. ATI 3D Xpression (3D Rage II)

6. What are the advaantages of upgrading to 1.1.50 from 1.0.9?

7. Lousy performance with Mach64 server and ATI 3D Xpression+

8. network unreachable problem solved! *read*

9. ATI Xpression (3D Rage II) & Mach64 Server problem

10. ATI Xpression 3D (rage 2) with 2MB, any server ?

11. Can't get more than 8bpp using Mach64 server, ATI 3D Xpression+

12. ATI 3D Xpression + (Newbie)

13. ATI 3D Xpression RAGE II setup on REDHAT 4.2