isolating xserver sw from accel-x

Post by Bruce P. Kli » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Linuxwhizzes,

I bought the Caldera network desktop release of linux,
for the support it had for my matrox millenium 4mb
graphics card.  It works OK, except I cannot seem
to run some of the X games, or Doom or Abuse.
Well, no tragedy, althought sometimes I would like
to do that.

What I am trying to figure out is how to take that
x-inside stuff and use it in another version of linux.

Say I want to upgrade to another version of Linux, but
still be able to use the X-server that I paid money
for??

What are the important binaries that I could tar up,
and then untar on another linux system and get the
xserver and the config software to work?  Any ideas
as to how to approach this?

Does this sond like something that can be done reasonable
easily, or at all?

Everytime I look at the /usr/X11 directory tree it makes
me dizzy there are so many links and twists under it.  Is
there any documentation that makes sense out of this?

Thanks,

Bruce

Post by Patrick Giagnocav » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Linuxwhizzes,

> I bought the Caldera network desktop release of linux,
> for the support it had for my matrox millenium 4mb
> graphics card.  It works OK, except I cannot seem
> to run some of the X games, or Doom or Abuse.
> Well, no tragedy, althought sometimes I would like
> to do that.

Probably what is happening is that you are running in the wrong color
depth (number of colors).  If I recall correctly, you can only run Doom
and Abuse under 256 colors.  Change the # colors in Xsetup
appropriately, and it should work.

Cordially
--

X Inside Incorporated - Accelerated X Servers
Technical Support Department

1. Cheap XiG Accel-X??

Hi,

Is there any place other than CheapBytes or Linux Mall that I can get Xi
Graphics
Accel-X server 4.1 cheap? I cannot get XFree86 to work beyond VGA16 on
my
Matrox Productiva, and $100 for generic X-Windows use is a bit steep!
:-(

Thanks,
Shekhar

2. Socket problems with Sol10 (hangs)

3. Debian "Hamm" and Accel-X problem

4. Compiler installation

5. Accel-X 1.2 and Qvision 2000

6. Program in "C"

7. Accel-X on SIS 5598 VGA chipset?

8. TurboPrint Message - "Add your own handler to /usr/share/turboprint/lib/tpfilter"

9. Accel-X 1.2 w/Actix @ 1280x1024

10. Xinside's Accel-X 1.2b5

11. Accel-X Laptop and xinit

12. Xi Graphics - Accel-X