Some observations about Mach64 and 3.1.1

Some observations about Mach64 and 3.1.1

Post by Szym » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 14:42:52

Well, I got 3.1.1 running with my Mach 64, and have noticed some
limitations of the current version with my card. They are as follows:
1. Dot clock limited to 80Mhz
2. Refusal to do 15/16/24 bpp mode
3. Minimum virtual width of 1024

The first two stem from the fact that the source is geared mainly towards cards
with an ATI68880 RAMDAC, and contains virtually no support for any others.

Restriction #1 is made for safety, to (overzealously?) protect your card from
potentially too-high clock rates.  Simply changing the defines in the source
allows higher clocks to be used, if your card can handle them.

Problem #2 is harder to solve. Simply disabling the check in the code for a
68880 is enough to make a server capable of putting the graphics chip itself in
16/24 bit mode, but the colors on the display are wrong. Presumably, the RAMDAC
needs to be sent some codes to put it in 16/24 bit mode.

There is an official patch to fix #3.

I have made the changes to my server to fix problems 1 and 3, but have not
succeeded in obtaining an acceptable 16/24 bit display. So, if anyone out there
has any information about programming the RAMDAC on an ATI WinBoost card (I am
not sure exactly what it is - SuperProbe says AT&T20C498, ati.test says Sierra
15021, it's not in the manual... time to open the case?), I would greatly
appreciate it.

SMR

Post by Szymon Rusinkiewi » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 07:36:12

>>has any information about programming the RAMDAC on an ATI WinBoost card (I am
>>not sure exactly what it is - SuperProbe says AT&T20C498, ati.test says Sierra
>>15021, it's not in the manual... time to open the case?), I would greatly
>>appreciate it.
>I also have an ATI WinBoost card with the AT&T20C498 RAMDAC.
>Unfortunately, the main reason I purchased this card was for the 16 bpp
>capability in X. If indeed there is no support for greater than 8 bpp
>with this card, which versions of the Mach64 have the ATI68880 RAMDAC?

I believe the "Graphics Pro Turbo" and "WinTurbo" (i.e. the VRAM models) have
the 68880. The DRAM models (WinBoost, Graphics Xpression) have an STG1702 or
something very similar (SuperProbe was wrong...)

SMR
---

|                ___                |  Life is complex -                      |
|               (o o)               |        It has real and imaginary parts. |
\------------ooO-(_)-Ooo------------+-----------------------------------------/

Some observations about Mach64 and 3.1.1

Post by Motonori Shind » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 22:09:51

Szymon> The DRAM models (WinBoost,
Szymon> Graphics Xpression) have an STG1702 or something very similar

Just for curiosity, what it the difference betw WinBoost and Graphics
Xpression? (the former is upgradable to 4M but latter is not??)

Motonori Shindou       Carnegie Mellon University       SCS Graduate Student

WWW: http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001:/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/moto/WWW/moto-home.html
                   TEL: 412-362-9636   FAX: 412-362-9634

Some observations about Mach64 and 3.1.1

Post by Jon Lewi » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 14:38:22

Quote:> I believe the "Graphics Pro Turbo" and "WinTurbo" (i.e. the VRAM models) have
> the 68880. The DRAM models (WinBoost, Graphics Xpression) have an STG1702 or
> something very similar (SuperProbe was wrong...)

The questions are, is it safe (with the STG1702) to disable the 80mhz
limit, and how do we get 16 or 32 bpp to work reliably?  The HOWTO
relating to X specifically warns against recompiling an X server to
remove dot clock restrictions.

 Mime attachments are OK       |
 But please ask before sending unsolicited huge files.

http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu

Post by fr.. » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 05:37:47

: Szymon> The DRAM models (WinBoost,
: Szymon> Graphics Xpression) have an STG1702 or something very similar

: Just for curiosity, what it the difference betw WinBoost and Graphics
: Xpression? (the former is upgradable to 4M but latter is not??)

: --
: ==============================================================================
: Motonori Shindou       Carnegie Mellon University       SCS Graduate Student

: WWW: http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001:/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/moto/WWW/moto-home.html
:                    TEL: 412-362-9636   FAX: 412-362-9634
: ==============================================================================
Hello Motonori,

the guy from ATI Germany told me that the WinBoost ist identical to the
with exception of the difference that it is something like
an OEM model which should
be sold only as a part of a complete system. Officially it should be
impossible to buy a single WinBoost. Hence no official box signed with
"WinBoost" exists. Another difference is that the
WinBoost has only two years of warranty, the Xpression has five years.

Thats the official side of the problem. But inofficially many shops
sell the WinBoost as Xpression. For example I ordered an
Xpression and got a WinBoost in an anti-static bag with a thin manual
labeled WinTurbo/WinBoost (describing both cards) and the floppy discs.
Obviously, I sent that card back because I want an "official" card
with the full warranty and a box. Another argument was for me that
nobody can guarantee that all components of a WinBoost (like RAMDAC,
etc.) has the same quality then the components of an Xpression.

Bye,

Frank