Dos window on X desktop?????

Post by Jesper de Jon » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hi.

> Dont flame me for this, but, is there a way to open
> a Dos window (to run MS-Dos programs) from the X desktop?
> Like an Xterm with dos running in it.

Use DOSEMU, the DOS emulator. It's included in most Linux distributions.

Quote:> Thanks.
> Jeff

--------------------
   Jesper de Jong

--------------------

Dos window on X desktop?????

Post by Lars Torben Wilso » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hi.

> Dont flame me for this, but, is there a way to open
> a Dos window (to run MS-Dos programs) from the X desktop?
> Like an Xterm with dos running in it.

Get dosemu from http://www.ednet.ns.ca/~macleajb/dosemu.html and run
'xdos'.

Actually, that's kinda an old link and I haven't tried it for awhile,
so I can't guarantee that it's still there. Check out the Linux
Applications and Utilities page -- at
http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml. I know there's a link from
there in the emulators section.

Quote:> --
> Thanks.

> Jeff

Good luck,
Lars Torben Wilson                     "Most people wouldn't know music if
student, Computer Science Dep't.        it came up and bit them on the ass."
University of Tampere, Finland                               - Frank Zappa

Dos window on X desktop?????

--
Thanks.

Jeff

Dos window on X desktop?????

Post by Manfred Bart » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Dont flame me for this, but, is there a way to open
> a Dos window (to run MS-Dos programs) from the X desktop?
> Like an Xterm with dos running in it.

Dosemu.  You can get the latest from
<ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/ALPHA/dosemu/>.

To run under X in it's own window, it is started as ``xdos''.

Regards
--

  --- LINUX, live free or die ---

1. Changing Desktop Environments (Window Managers) & Performance of Desktop Environments

Hello,

Recently my educational institution purchased a UltraSparc Server (on
SunOS), along with about 35 terminals which run CDE as their desktop
environment. Although it is tolerable to use this desktop environment, come
time for about 35 students using the terminals, the terminals become
terribly slow. Furthermore, I have used other desktop environments and I
find them to be much faster when compared to CDE.
I am wondering if someone can give me a pointer on the performance of
CDE--can it expected that CDE is this slow, or are there other desktop
environments that are much faster. (The system admin is considering the
installation of KDE or XFCE)
That leads to my second question: I want to change from CDE to something
like KDE or XFCE. Being a seasoned Linux user, I'm a bit confused. When I
look into the home directory for a temporary user, I see no file by the name
of .xinitrc (this file allows one to change the window manager). I'm
confused. The only files that I found in SunOS were in /usr/dt/config/; but
none of the files mentioned changing the desktop environment.
So my second question to you is, how can I change the window manager. I know
how to install everything quite easily, but I need the login system to be
able to execute the new desktop environment.
I know not if I am very clear with this message, but if you are able to
decrypt my words, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Matthew J. Alicton

2. BUG report - PROBLEM in LARGEFILE64 support

3. X Server -> X Windows -> Window Manager -> Desktop ???

4. Hardware Raid Solution

5. windows desktop too slow compared to others: windows folder configuration question

6. ...almost there

7. Opening DOS (MS WINDOWS) Window on UNIX X-station through network

8. International symbols

9. YDL, OS X, and OS 9 on G3 beige desktop; can it be done?

10. Caldera-Desktop and DOS-FS?

11. 32-bit Novell desktop OS combines Unix, DOS 7

13. what's the difference between desktop/window-manager