finding default font fixed

Post by D. Stimit » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to install a 3.9.17 X server, but it currently fails at one
point or another. In between time, I've backed up several key files for
the 3.3.5 version, and am trying to temporarily restore it. So far the
only thing that seems to be missing is that the server is unable to find
a fixed font:
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

The original XF86Config file is restored, and the font path list is the
same as it was before, so this isn't the problem. The newer 3.9.17 was
trying to install its own fonts, and apparently changed a path or a font
configuration file somewhere. I know I've seen the answer to this
somewhere a long time ago, but can't find it now. Can someone tell me
where the server is looking for the default font "fixed"? I'm looking at
how to restore this without a total X reinstall, so I can continue to
work on 3.9.17, and then restore the original if it fails. The
fail/restore cycle will probably have to be repeated a few times before
I can dump the older version.

Any ideas on what was overwritten or modified that is causing the
current failure of finding the fixed font?

Thanks,

1. Cant' find fixed default font

Hello to all if this is a faq please direct me to it.

I just installed Linux and was trying to get x going whe i
recieved the message can't find/open default fixed font.

Does anyone have any ideas, I realy would appreciate the help.

                       At

2. Help with Regular Expressions

3. default font 'fixed' not found

4. Mumail 2.4b

5. Cant' find fixed default font

6. Integrate Solaris ver. of Oracle and Netscape Enterprise Server on 2 Sun Machines

7. HELP!! -- Cannot find default font 'fixed'

8. HELP: audio files?!?!?!

9. cannot find default fixed font????

10. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

11. Font problem - default font 'fixed'

12. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

13. KDE 2.1.x Fixed Width Fonts Free Feeble Font Fix