Printer Carage Return

Post by Xavier Plasenci » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I currently have a problem with printing.

My printer is a panasonic.  When ever I print using lpd -Pprintername
file.  My print job does not spool nothing happens.
If I log in as root, and print by cat file > /dev/lp1  the printer
prints a stair case effect.

[example]
text prints like
                text prints like
                                text prints like

and the print job only prints one page.  The odd thing too is when
I cut and paste, from one window to another, I also get this stair
case effect.

I do not know how to fix this, can anybody clue me in asto what might
be causing this problem.

Thanks in advanced
 Xavier

Printer Carage Return

Post by John Gluc » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I currently have a problem with printing.

> My printer is a panasonic.  When ever I print using lpd -Pprintername
> file.  My print job does not spool nothing happens.
> If I log in as root, and print by cat file > /dev/lp1  the printer
> prints a stair case effect.

> [example]
> text prints like
>                 text prints like
>                                 text prints like

> and the print job only prints one page.  The odd thing too is when
> I cut and paste, from one window to another, I also get this stair
> case effect.

> I do not know how to fix this, can anybody clue me in asto what might
> be causing this problem.

> Thanks in advanced
>  Xavier

Hi

I think you need a /etc/printcap setup for your printer.
Also, in /var/spool you need spool directories for the printer.

The staircase effect is because linux text files have newlines (aka
linefeeds) instead of the carriage return linefeed combination.
With a properly setup printcap that problem is fixed.

John Gluck

Printer Carage Return

Post by Glenn Fau » Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > I currently have a problem with printing.

> > My printer is a panasonic.  When ever I print using lpd -Pprintername
> > file.  My print job does not spool nothing happens.
> > If I log in as root, and print by cat file > /dev/lp1  the printer
> > prints a stair case effect.

> > [example]
> > text prints like
> >                 text prints like
> >                                 text prints like

> > and the print job only prints one page.  The odd thing too is when
> > I cut and paste, from one window to another, I also get this stair
> > case effect.

> > I do not know how to fix this, can anybody clue me in asto what might
> > be causing this problem.

> > Thanks in advanced
> >  Xavier
> Hi

> I think you need a /etc/printcap setup for your printer.
> Also, in /var/spool you need spool directories for the printer.

> The staircase effect is because linux text files have newlines (aka
> linefeeds) instead of the carriage return linefeed combination.
> With a properly setup printcap that problem is fixed.

> John Gluck

I believe the printing HOWTO address this issue.

Printer Carage Return

Post by Michael Or » Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I currently have a problem with printing.

> My printer is a panasonic.  When ever I print using lpd -Pprintername
> file.  My print job does not spool nothing happens.
> If I log in as root, and print by cat file > /dev/lp1  the printer
> prints a stair case effect.

> [example]
> text prints like
>                 text prints like
>                                 text prints like

> and the print job only prints one page.  The odd thing too is when
> I cut and paste, from one window to another, I also get this stair
> case effect.

> I do not know how to fix this, can anybody clue me in asto what might
> be causing this problem.

> Thanks in advanced
>  Xavier

Unix (and Linux) text files are terminated with only the linefeed (LF,
0x0A) character.  DOS files are terminated with a CR-LF pair (0x0D,
0x0A).  Most printers default to the DOS type files, and process a LF as
just that, Line feed only (i.e. do a vertical motion but not a
horizontal return).  Most printers can be set, via control panel or
escape sequence, to process a LF the same as a CR-LF pair (each
printer's escape sequences are unique, though; RTM).  If all you print
is Linux, you can set the printer's non-volatile memory & be done.  If
you print both, however, the best solution is to write an input filter
for that printer which sends the right escape sequence ahead of the
print job, and resets it at the end of the job.

--
F. Michael Orr
Sr. Systems Engineer

Printer Carage Return

Post by Frank Mil » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>> I currently have a problem with printing.

>> My printer is a panasonic.  When ever I print using lpd -Pprintername
>> file.  My print job does not spool nothing happens.
>> If I log in as root, and print by cat file > /dev/lp1  the printer
>> prints a stair case effect.

>> [example]
>> text prints like
>>                 text prints like
>>                                 text prints like

>> and the print job only prints one page.  The odd thing too is when
>> I cut and paste, from one window to another, I also get this stair
>> case effect.

>> I do not know how to fix this, can anybody clue me in asto what might
>> be causing this problem.

>> Thanks in advanced
>>  Xavier
>Hi

>I think you need a /etc/printcap setup for your printer.
>Also, in /var/spool you need spool directories for the printer.

>The staircase effect is because linux text files have newlines (aka
>linefeeds) instead of the carriage return linefeed combination.
>With a properly setup printcap that problem is fixed.

>John Gluck

The easy answer (and it's probably in the FAQ/HOWTO) is to get and
install a decent print handler like 'apsfilter'.  Available within
any decent distribution, and on sunsite.

        -frank

1. HELP! Printer does no carriage return

Hello!
        I printing on a HP JetDirect EX Plus3 and I can't get the
printer to do carriage return.(Step printing)

        We have a Okidata 521 in IBM Proprinter emulation mode.
        I tried with these scripts:
        standard
        proprinter
        crlnmap
        and others...

        We are running OpenServer 5 release 5.0.2

        Can anyone help me please!

        Thank you!

        Joffrey Bienvenue

2. hardware config verification

3. help! printer not doing carriage return

4. Mouse troubles in RH9

5. can't print out line feed and carriage return (control character) on a network printer.

6. Can't read label

7. carriage return at the end of printer line

8. Better pattern match for multiple occurances in sed?

9. Printer carraige return and line feed

10. remote printer not printing line returns correctly

11. The return of the return of crunch time (2.5 merge candidate list 1.6)

12. Problem: Command substitution adds an extra carriage return character on return.

13. pf and return-rst & return-icmp Huh?