XFree 4.0.1 and Nvidia drivers

Post by D. Stimit » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> An age old topic, I'm sure, but one I'm having some difficulty with.

> I'm running Debian 2.2 (potato) and trying to get X working with
> XFree4.0.1 and the nvidia drivers...

> When I try to "make" the nvidia kernel drivers (presumably a module)
> I'm getting an error:

> nv.c:49: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory

This refers to /usr/include/linux/modversions.h, and /usr/include/linux/
is in fact a symbolic link to the kernel source, somewhere under
/usr/src/linux/. It means that either you don't have kernel source
installed, or else it is not configured for your system. This is a
hardware dependent item, and so your kernel configuration for your
system is specifically required. Install the kernel source, and do "make
menuconfig" (or any make config) such that it exactly matches your
current kernel. If you don't know what the configuration is and can't
match it, recompile a new kernel, and save your kernel configuration to
an alternate location for archive.

Then do make for your module.

Quote:

> Anyone know what this is?

> I've heard some talk that you need to have compiled your kernel to
> make this all work (I haven't, I've got the kernel that installed with
> debian [with udma66 patch])...

Not only must it be installed, it must be configured to match your
kernel.

Quote:

> That other thing: For the kernel is "make xconfig" the same as "make
> config" but with an X interface? Or is it completely different?

They are the same, different interface. Results will not change. During
this config you will be offered a chance to save config to an alternate
location. Do so as an archive measure so you always know how it is
configured.

Post by Pippin Ba » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:10:59

[...]

Post by S. Uma » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

By the way....according to the NEW convention that is already
implemented by
many distros for 2.2.x kernels (like RH7.0) /usr/include/linux and
 /usr/src/linux/include/linux are NOT linked....The latter contains the
headers
that come with the kernel source only....Apparently the directive for
this came
straight from Linus!

--

Prof. S. Umar
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy

http://compsci.cas.vanderbilt.edu/~umar/resu.htm

Post by Rasput » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>By the way....according to the NEW convention that is already
>implemented by many distros for 2.2.x kernels (like RH7.0)

That's hardly a glowing recommendation though, is it?
RH7.0 , a.k.a:

"The distro that is so b0rken you need to install a special
compiler just to build your kernel, since we screwed up gcc so badly"

Quote:> /usr/include/linux and
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux are NOT linked....
>....Apparently the directive for this came straight from Linus!

Well I guess it's his baby...?

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

Post by D. Stimit » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> By the way....according to the NEW convention that is already
> implemented by
> many distros for 2.2.x kernels (like RH7.0) /usr/include/linux and
>  /usr/src/linux/include/linux are NOT linked....The latter contains the
> headers
> that come with the kernel source only....Apparently the directive for
> this came
> straight from Linus!

I can see the logic of such a change, but it has its own difficulties as
well, depending on what one is doing. It sounds as if some of those
headers will remain in the kernel directories and some new link will be
used for individual files into /usr/include/linux/ directory tree (some
files would show up as sym links, rather than the directory itself?).
Does "contains the headers that come with the kernel source only" imply
that some of these files are still linked, and that not all of them will
be moved directly to /usr/include/linux/ as a hard link? It could make
for some interesting version control changes, especially if cvs is
involved anywhere.

Post by ne.. » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 11:10:29

>> By the way....according to the NEW convention that is already
>> implemented by
>> many distros for 2.2.x kernels (like RH7.0) /usr/include/linux and
>>  /usr/src/linux/include/linux are NOT linked....The latter contains the
>> headers
>> that come with the kernel source only....Apparently the directive for
>> this came
>> straight from Linus!

>I can see the logic of such a change, but it has its own difficulties as
>well, depending on what one is doing. It sounds as if some of those
>headers will remain in the kernel directories and some new link will be
>used for individual files into /usr/include/linux/ directory tree (some
>files would show up as sym links, rather than the directory itself?).
>Does "contains the headers that come with the kernel source only" imply
>that some of these files are still linked, and that not all of them will
>be moved directly to /usr/include/linux/ as a hard link? It could make
>for some interesting version control changes, especially if cvs is
>involved anywhere.

For the full reasoning behind this, you will have to search the
kernel mailing list archives. But basically, your system comes
compiled against the headers in /usr/src/linux/include. When
you upgrade the kernel by putting the new kernel source in
/usr/src/linux, you now have the potential for a broken
system since it is quite possible some definition in the
headers has changed. As such Linus advises you build new kernels
in another directory and leave the original /usr/src/linux be.

A penny saved is ridiculous.
 10:03pm  up 12 days, 23:50,  9 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.04, 0.06

1. XFree 4.2 & nvidia's GLX & NVIDIA modules

Today on a new box I upgraded from XFree 4.01 to the new 4.2.  I am
able to use XFree's "nv" driver with no issue, however when I
downloaded and installed Nvidia's "nvidia kernel module" and "the GLX
module" and edit my XF86Config file to utilize these new drivers I
have issues. Checking the logs for XFree86 I see that both are being
found and initilized ok,but the nvidia driver errors out saying that
screens were found, but none of an acceptable configuration were

from the logs was the build on the nvidia drivers was for 4.01.
However, I have been using this same drivers on a machine running
Xfree 4.1 for quite sometime without any problems. If you have any

thanks!!!

2. Using smbfs on 2.1.99 w/ glibc2?

3. New release 0.9.2 of nVidia drivers (glx/xfree-4.0)

4. Better or just different?

5. NVidia TNT2 and XFree 4.1.0 - Is there a driver?

6. Syslog dies at boot time.

7. XFREE 401 and Nvidia driver files, signal 11

8. Documentation needed!!!

9. Can't get XFree with nvidia drivers to work

10. xfree 4.0.1 and nvidia .93 drivers: can anyone do it?

11. XF86Config for Toshiba 6100, Xfree 4.3.0, NVidia drivers

12. TNT2 and XFree 4 with Nvidia drivers - XFree86.0.log (0/1)

13. Yet another NVidia XFree 4 driver problem...