XF86Config for Dell Inspiron 7500?

Post by Ken Kwasnick » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Does anybody have a decent XF86Config for a Dell Inpiron 7500? I'm not
even sure what the vidoe card chipset is. Does 1400x1050 work?

Thanks,
Ken.

Post by Barry Flanaga » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Does anybody have a decent XF86Config for a Dell Inpiron 7500? I'm not
> even sure what the vidoe card chipset is. Does 1400x1050 work?

> Thanks,
> Ken.

Hi Ken,

If you get any answers, I'd love to hear them. Just got a 7500
myself....
--

-Barry Flanagan
 Creative & Technical Director

 Tel: +353 (0)1 855-4321
 Fax: +353 (0)1 817-0643

XF86Config for Dell Inspiron 7500?

Post by Jeff Kopmani » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Here-here...I have a student who bought one of the 1400-pixel displays
and needs X support.  Ack...wish he would have looked or asked me
first.  He'll learn...

Quote:> > Does anybody have a decent XF86Config for a Dell Inpiron 7500? I'm not
> > even sure what the vidoe card chipset is. Does 1400x1050 work?

--
-------    University of Michigan Artificial Intelligence Lab    -------
Jeff Kopmanis, Sr. Sys Analyst, 1101 Beal Ave, Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2110

Post by Barry Flanaga » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Here-here...I have a student who bought one of the 1400-pixel displays
> and needs X support.  Ack...wish he would have looked or asked me
> first.  He'll learn...

> > > Does anybody have a decent XF86Config for a Dell Inpiron 7500? I'm not
> > > even sure what the vidoe card chipset is. Does 1400x1050 work?

It is an ATI Rage Mobility/P and is not yet supported by XFree86 at all
except you can get the FBDev driver working OK at 1024x768 but the text
is a bit fuzzy. I would say that if I could figure out a 1400x1050
modeline it would look a lot better (driving it at 1024x768 looks bad in
windoze as well).

AcceleratedX (www.xig.com) have a commercial driver that supports the
chip, but not the screen yet.

Anyway, here is my XF86Config for the FBDev driver in the meantime.

If anyone gets any news or manages to hack a modeline please post it
here!!

--

-Barry Flanagan
 Creative & Technical Director
 Online.ie, Dublin, Ireland

 Tel: +353 (0)1 855-4321
 Fax: +353 (0)1 817-0643

-------8<---------------

# XF86Config file for the ATI Rage Mobility/P and XF86_FBDev driver
(Dell i7500)

Section "Files"
    RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath   "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "Keyboard"
    Protocol    "Standard"

    # when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
    # following line
    #Protocol   "Xqueue"

    AutoRepeat  500 5

    # Let the server do the NumLock processing.  This should only be
    # required when using pre-R6 clients
    #ServerNumLock

    # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with
xset(1))
    #Xleds      1 2 3

    #To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
    #RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

    LeftAlt        Meta
    RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.

#    XkbDisable

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#    XkbModel    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#    XkbModel    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
# or:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
#    XkbVariant  "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    XkbOptions  "ctrl:swapcaps"

# These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
#    XkbRules    "xfree86"
#    XkbModel    "pc101"
#    XkbLayout   "us"
#    XkbVariant  ""
#    XkbOptions  ""

   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc101"
    XkbLayout       "gb"

EndSection

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "PS/2"
    Device      "/dev/psaux"
#    Emulate3Buttons
#    Emulate3Timeout    50
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "LCD Panel 1024x768"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    ModelName   "Unknown"
    HorizSync   31.5-99
    VertRefresh 50-200

Modeline "1024x768"  78.654 1024 1056 1184 1312 768 772 776 792 -HSync
-VSync

EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "VESA Frame Buffer"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "FBdev"
    Device      "VESA Frame Buffer"
    Monitor     "LCD Panel 1024x768"
    DefaultColorDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768"
        Virtual   1024 768
    EndSubsection
EndSection

XF86Config for Dell Inspiron 7500?

Post by Jeff Kopmani » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Thanks a heep, Barry.  we'll see what we can do with that.  its bound to
be better than what I had goin'... :)

--
-------    University of Michigan Artificial Intelligence Lab    -------
Jeff Kopmanis, Sr. Sys Analyst, 1101 Beal Ave, Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2110
Office: 734-763-9352            http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/kopmanis
Soul Kitchen Rhythm & Blues:    http://spring.eecs.umich.edu/sk
Monroe Big Band:                http://spring.eecs.umich.edu/mbb
"Football gives the crowd something to watch while the band is resting."
                                     -- Funky Winkerbean's Band Director

1. XF86Config for Dell Inspiron 7500?

I'm having the darnedest time getting X to work on my
Dell Inspiron 7500 (15.4in screen SXGA).
I've followed the directions for methods 1, 2 and 4 on

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/xserver.html

(I'm running Debian 2.1 -- built my own kernel 2.2.12 copied
the .config file from the description on method 2 at the
above url)

With the first method I get the closest.  I manage to get a graphical
screen and can see most of the window manager, but many vertical lines
seem shifted or blank and there are lines trailing everything that's
not the background.  Could I just need to adjust the XF86Config? if so
how do I adjust this?  Does anyone have an XF86Config that worked
on this the 15.4" screen?

Method 2 --  Frame buffers work great! but I'm unable when I
start X I get the exact same thing as above. Again I think I
just need to change the XF86Config.

Method 4 --  the stock FBDev xserver seems to be linked with
glibc 2.1 I get  (I'm running debian 2.1 which has glibc = 2.0.7
or something like that -- I'd like to avoid going to the unstable
libc if at all possible)

 undefined symbol: __register_frame_info

Is there somewhere I can get a copy of this server and build it.
(I'm downloading xfree-3.3.5- as I write this if that's got
an option to build a Frame Buff version then great!  --
is there any config info I might want to copy from your
compile?)

There were server posts here about having it working with
Frame Buffers -- I'm unclear exactly how to make this happen.
I copied the XF86Config that Barry Flanagan posted (thanks)
but when I tried to start X (using the servers for method 1
& 2 above) I got:

"You must provide a "Screen" section in XF86Config for at
least one of the following graphics drivers: accel

-- So again I suspect I need to figure out how to get/build
the frame buffer server.

Anyhow any advice, pointers, information or funny looks  are
very welcome.

Thanks for your time,
--

                       tmk

Tom M. Kroeger                           Pray for wind
Graduate Student, UC Santa Cruz      \    Pray for waves

http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~tmk         |~\
(831) 459-4458                       |__\
(831) 426-9055 home                 ,----+--

2. How to install Gnome on SuSE 6.1?

3. Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux -HELP

4. Line chars in curses

5. newbie type advice questions... re: installing RH7.2 on Dell INSPIRON 7500 laptop

6. *best* ethernet card to buy

7. Can Linux handle Dell Inspiron 7500 SXGA+ (1400x1050)?

8. Kde apps closing faster than I can start them....

9. System Freeze: Dell Inspiron 7500

10. DELL inspiron 7500 650 YT ?

11. ATI Rage Mobility-AGP2x on Dell 7500 (Inspiron) Redhat Linux v7.x...

12. LCD Display on Dell Inspiron 7500

13. Dell inspiron 7500, PCMCIA, and 2.4.x -- No love.