OSF/Motif 1.2 or MIT X Windows book?

Post by Ken L » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:(Gary Mitchell) writes:

|> At the weekend I installed Slackware 3.0 and succeeded this morning
|> in getting XFree86 3.1.2 to run on my PC. Suspecting that this will
|> not be as easy to master as Microsoft Windows 3.1 or 95 I bought
|> myself a book.  Only now I think I may have got hold of the wrong
|> one.  The book is _X Window System User's Guide_, by Quercia and
|> O'Reilly, and is specified as being the OSF/Motif 1.2 Edition as
|> opposed to the MIT, or non-Motif, version.

I'm not familiar with this book but generally "user's guides" are
about using products, not programming them.

The hardest part about X programming is deciding which tools to
use.  Most commercial software developers use Motif, but many
Linux developers do not because Motif development packages
cost money (about $100).  If you choose not to use Motif, there
are many other tools from which to choose.  Unfortunately, these
tools have incompatible APIs and some features do not interoperate
well with Motif or other toolkits.

For more info on Motif, see http://www.rahul.net/kenton/GettingMotif.html

--
Ken Lee, X Window System Consulting, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/index.shtml

Post by Jo Totla » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> (Gary Mitchell) writes:
> |> At the weekend I installed Slackware 3.0 and succeeded this morning
> |> in getting XFree86 3.1.2 to run on my PC. Suspecting that this will
> |> not be as easy to master as Microsoft Windows 3.1 or 95 I bought
> |> myself a book.  Only now I think I may have got hold of the wrong
> |> one.  The book is _X Window System User's Guide_, by Quercia and
> |> O'Reilly, and is specified as being the OSF/Motif 1.2 Edition as
> |> opposed to the MIT, or non-Motif, version.

> I'm not familiar with this book but generally "user's guides" are
> about using products, not programming them.

So, what made you think a guy installing Linux last weekend actually
want to start programming the X Window system?
        Anyway, yup! it's the "wrong" book unless you intend to get
Motif, which is not available for free (but rather cheap though).
Don't worry too much, the differences are probably not very big, and
should be easy to spot. What is probably a bigger problem is wether
the book is up-to-date (Linux uses X11R6, most books cover R4 or R5).
        There are a lot of issues that are really hard if not
impossible to master when it comes to configuring X. My advice would
be to not worry about them untill you need them. Hopefully you are
never going to need that book. If you ever want to do X Window System
programming, there's no need to know all the details (which probably
is described in this book, I haven't read it) of configuring X then
either.

Quote:> The hardest part about X programming is deciding which tools to

=========
> never going to need that book. If you ever want to do X Window System
> programming, there's no need to know all the details (which probably
> is described in this book, I haven't read it) of configuring X then
> either.

> > The hardest part about X programming is deciding which tools to
> > use.  Most commercial software developers use Motif, but many
> > Linux developers do not because Motif development packages
> > cost money (about $100).  If you choose not to use Motif, there
> > are many other tools from which to choose.  Unfortunately, these
> > tools have incompatible APIs and some features do not interoperate
> > well with Motif or other toolkits.

> > For more info on Motif, see http://www.rahul.net/kenton/GettingMotif.html

Anybody following this thread know of any sites that offer mwm config
file examples (similar to fvwm, fvwm95, etc example homepages out
there)?

--
Regards

OSF/Motif 1.2 or MIT X Windows book?

Post by Oleg Duli » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

It seems to me that you did get the wrong book, however it doesn't really
matter because underlying concepts are the same. You see, X-Window is the
windowing environment, while Motif is the window manager that makes your
life easier. Linux comes with fwm (Freeware Window Manager) which is
designed to simulate mwm (Motif Window Manager) in some way. Just by
reading the OSF/Motif book and playing around with Linux and fwm you can
easily learn X-Windows.

        How many seconds are there in a year?  If I tell you there  are
3.155  x  10^7, you won't even try to remember it.  On the other hand,
who could forget that, to within half a percent, pi seconds is a
nanocentury.
                -- Tom Duff, Bell Labs

OSF/Motif 1.2 or MIT X Windows book?

Post by Gary Mitche » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

1. Help. Porting from Motif 1.2 to Motif 2.0

I am currently porting an application to Linux using SWiM Motif version 2.0.
This is actually two first since the application has only previously been
compiled under Motif 1.2. I have encountered some problems and I think it
could be due to the version of Motif I am using.

An example is that the FileSelectionDialog no longer seems to work. When
selected it does appear though both selection boxes are always empty and
remain so.

Also, all children dialogs, such as the FileSelectionDialog, when envoked
do not have a 'motif' type border and hence can not be resized.

If anybody has any clues, or if anybody knows of any FAQs on porting
Motif 1.2 applications to Motif 2.0, all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all of the Linux Commuity.
--
haydar peer

2. problems with 3C905B-TX

3. Motif 2.1 for development with a Motif 1.2 target?

4. vx0: SIOCADDMULTI: Invalid argument

5. OSF Motif Window Manager

6. The following is presented solely for your amusement

7. How to use OSF/Motif window manager in Solaris 2.3

8. IR: Burnproof can kill the IDE Bus

9. X-Windows, AIX and OSF Motif

10. Book Info: Heterogene Netzwerke mit Windows NT

11. Netlog 1.2 type Util for OSF

12. Apache 1.2 hangs (Alpha OSF/1)

13. FS: X Window/Motif books