What's the most popular window manager now?

What's the most popular window manager now?

Post by Pete » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I've been away from X for a while, since fvwm was released. Ok, a long
while.
I've seen enlightenment (and I really like the look.). And I've seen GTK. I
am guessing that the most popular has the most support behind it and I'd
like to see what it is...

It still seems that there are a lot of WM's out there and no standards have
really been set.?.

Lots of stuff, in terms of window managers comes with distributions like
Redhat 6.1, and I'm just feeling out what's worth* on to out of the
lot.

Thanks,
-Pete

What's the most popular window manager now?

Post by Oax3 » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Well, since you've been around with X and liux this long it's quite funny
that you ask. I've started with linux not long ago and found the most
practical and good looking VM there is.
Enlighenment is the thing. Support for KDE and GNOME is kinda buildt in.
Enlightenment comes with Slackware and Redhat, and it has really cool
themes... Cool epplets... and lots of other stuff...
My ultimate favourite...

Post by David . » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I've been away from X for a while, since fvwm was released. Ok, a long
> while.
> I've seen enlightenment (and I really like the look.). And I've seen GTK. I
> am guessing that the most popular has the most support behind it and I'd
> like to see what it is...

> It still seems that there are a lot of WM's out there and no standards have
> really been set.?.

> Lots of stuff, in terms of window managers comes with distributions like
> Redhat 6.1, and I'm just feeling out what's worth* on to out of the
> lot.

> Thanks,
> -Pete

The two most popular are KDE and GNOME. I prefer GNOME w/enlightenment
but I'm sure you will hear both sides of it.
The best part of it is  CHOICE!!!

--
 Fighting SPAM!
 Reach me at thunderbolt01 (at) hotmail.com

What's the most popular window manager now?

Post by Jim Ros » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I've been away from X for a while, since fvwm was released. Ok, a long
> while.
> I've seen enlightenment (and I really like the look.). And I've seen GTK.
> am guessing that the most popular has the most support behind it and I'd
> like to see what it is...

> It still seems that there are a lot of WM's out there and no standards
have
> really been set.?.

> Lots of stuff, in terms of window managers comes with distributions like
> Redhat 6.1, and I'm just feeling out what's worth* on to out of the
> lot.

> Thanks,
> -Pete

KDM of KDE desktop
Jim

Post by Bill Gribbl » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I've seen enlightenment (and I really like the look.). And I've seen GTK. I
> am guessing that the most popular has the most support behind it and I'd
> like to see what it is...

I don't know if it's the most popular, but I have been using Sawmill
for quite some time and it's by far the best WM I have ever used.  It
has all the configurability of Enlightenment but is designed to work
WITH Gnome.  When I used enlightenment I found that most of the
development effort was being put into desktop features that I just
turned off immediately (icon management, virtual desktop pagers, etc).

Sawmill assumes that you have that functionality in your desktop
system and just tries to do the Right Thing with the job of a window
manager: managing selection, movement, and placement of windows.  It's
refreshing to see the devel mailing lists filled with arguments about
how to best implement and allow configuration of the subtleties of the
window focus system, rather than eye candy.

Bill Gribble

Post by Y » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > I've been away from X for a while, since fvwm was released. Ok, a long
> > while.
> > I've seen enlightenment (and I really like the look.). And I've seen GTK.
> > am guessing that the most popular has the most support behind it and I'd
> > like to see what it is...

> > It still seems that there are a lot of WM's out there and no standards
> have
> > really been set.?.

> > Lots of stuff, in terms of window managers comes with distributions like
> > Redhat 6.1, and I'm just feeling out what's worth* on to out of the
> > lot.

> > Thanks,
> > -Pete

> KDM of KDE desktop
> Jim

I've played with most of the better know windows managers and have come to one
conclusion, it doesn't matter.  They all basicly do the same thing.  I found my
self playing with the configs until I got it all the same.  I never saw a
single difference in speed or memory use.  I currently use KDE, but I could
have used GNOME, I just got to KDE first.

Anthony Mills

Post by Stephen Chadfiel » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I've played with most of the better know windows managers and have come to one
> conclusion, it doesn't matter.  They all basicly do the same thing.  I found my
> self playing with the configs until I got it all the same.  I never saw a
> single difference in speed or memory use.  I currently use KDE, but I could
> have used GNOME, I just got to KDE first.

KDE requires a lot more resources than, say, fvwm. If you have a fast
computer and a lot of RAM you won't see any difference. Not every is
running Linux on such hardware.

--
Stephen Chadfield
http://www.chadfield.com/

Post by Chris Parki » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I've been away from X for a while, since fvwm was released. Ok, a long
> while.
> I've seen enlightenment (and I really like the look.). And I've seen GTK. I
> am guessing that the most popular has the most support behind it and I'd
> like to see what it is...

> It still seems that there are a lot of WM's out there and no standards have
> really been set.?.

> Lots of stuff, in terms of window managers comes with distributions like
> Redhat 6.1, and I'm just feeling out what's worth* on to out of the
> lot.

> Thanks,
> -Pete

i've played with most of them, but i always fall back to windowmaker.
kde is good, but it just seems too bloated/win95ish
wm runs like a dream and looks very good :)

--
     _      __         ___

    |__/|__/\_,_/_/ /_/         ICQ: 25024932

Post by Michael Per » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I've been away from X for a while, since fvwm was released. Ok, a long
>while.
>I've seen enlightenment (and I really like the look.). And I've seen GTK. I
>am guessing that the most popular has the most support behind it and I'd
>like to see what it is...

>It still seems that there are a lot of WM's out there and no standards have
>really been set.?.

>Lots of stuff, in terms of window managers comes with distributions like
>Redhat 6.1, and I'm just feeling out what's worth* on to out of the
>lot.

>Thanks,
>-Pete

I use Debian here so tend to move between WindowMaker and Enlightenment.
Recently, I have been dallying with E version 16.3 because it just has this
cool but somewhat dark look which I like.  I also use a really neat system
monitor called gkrellm which bundles a bunch of system monitors into a
program which is themed as well.  I don't use either kde or gnome anymore
with any of the suitable window managers.

I dont know the exact numbers of WM out there right now but its an amazing
number and reflective of the level of personal choice one has when running X
on a system.  I am particularly taken with a lighter one called sawmill
which offers a lite replacement for E.  Its my experience that E can be a
bit resource intensive; but neither of my systems are wanting in that area
so I like to use a nice theme and E.  WindowMaker is fast and responsive and
the dockapps are a nice touch to monitor mail, system uptime, network
activity, etc.

Just my thots on this.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

1. how do you open other window managers in a window manager

I like using ICE as my w.m.  but sometimes I like the look of
WindowMaker.  How can I open this up in Ice.

also, can I use KDE as my default and then be able to use Ice or WM as
above?  The only reason I'm asking is that KDE is an environment while
the other two are managers.

also , does anyone know where i can get a tutorial or a good web site
on Ice.  the main site seems to be down or misplaces or something.

2. Mount dos partition.

3. X managers... what is most popular?

4. DEC Unix equivalent for VMS' SYS$ENQ()

5. Change default window manager to 'olvm'

6. Sprite animation library for X Windows?

7. XF 4.0 + any window manager: "can't resolve symbol 'XmuCvt*****String"

8. Toshiba Satellite 1900-303 touchpad weirdness

9. RedHat's Window manager's and X

10. News Article: BSD '3 times as popular as desktop Linux' - Apple

11. Why it's a good thing FreeBSD isn't as popular as Linux

12. what's the difference between desktop/window-manager

13. installed window managers don't show up in login screen