X-based news reader [?]

Post by T.L. (Ter » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

A couple of questions:

1. Are there any free alternatives to the 'xrn' news reader that
   you would recommend?

2. My ISP keeps costs down by not serving up USENET newsgroups.
   Are there freely available NNTP servers out there with a
   decent selection of groups?

+------------------+
Terrence  Branscombe

X-based news reader [?]

Post by Bob Nix » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>A couple of questions:

>1. Are there any free alternatives to the 'xrn' news reader that
>   you would recommend?

Netscape 4.5 has adopted a similar interface to Agent, from the
Windows platform. I still like the big and clean looking fonts under
Windows. BTW, Try Tin and SLRN. They're both excellent, if not CLI
news readers.

Quote:

>2. My ISP keeps costs down by not serving up USENET newsgroups.
>   Are there freely available NNTP servers out there with a
>   decent selection of groups?

Two are Supernews & Zippo. Both cost $$.

http://members.home.net/bigrex/

X-based news reader [?]

Post by Kim Cart » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> A couple of questions:

> 1. Are there any free alternatives to the 'xrn' news reader that
>    you would recommend?

> 2. My ISP keeps costs down by not serving up USENET newsgroups.
>    Are there freely available NNTP servers out there with a
>    decent selection of groups?

> Thanks,

> --
> +------------------+
> Terrence  Branscombe

A good X based newsreader? try knews (and no despite the name it is not a KDE
app)

Kim

X-based news reader [?]

Post by Bill McCla » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> 2. My ISP keeps costs down by not serving up USENET newsgroups.
>    Are there freely available NNTP servers out there with a
>    decent selection of groups?

Look at www.newsguy.com (formally "zippo"). Basic service is $19/yr,
which, per day, approaches "free".

-Bill

X-based news reader [?]

Post by j » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>2. My ISP keeps costs down by not serving up USENET newsgroups.
>   Are there freely available NNTP servers out there with a
>   decent selection of groups?

I second the use of dejanews.com for free newsgroups though there are
some limits. It's better than nothing. And you can check it at work or
home.

X-based news reader [?]

Post by Bev » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >2. My ISP keeps costs down by not serving up USENET newsgroups.
> >   Are there freely available NNTP servers out there with a
> >   decent selection of groups?
> I second the use of dejanews.com for free newsgroups though there are
> some limits. It's better than nothing. And you can check it at work or
> home.

Dejanews has LOTS of limitations if you just want to read news rather than
search for something specific.

Long list of public news servers:
        http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=nntp;list

They come, they go...

--
Cheers,
Bev

X-based news reader [?]

Post by Darryl Lo » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>A couple of questions:

>1. Are there any free alternatives to the 'xrn' news reader that
>   you would recommend?

I wanted to use my newsreader either from Win95 or KDE and have it use
the same database of news articles, remember which message I had read
last, and use exactly the same setup from both op systems.

Plus, I really like FreeAgent.

So, I use Wine under Linux to run the 32 bit Windows FreeAgent
executable.  Only thing I have to reset each time is the main fixed
pitch font. (and if I installed Truetype fonts under Linux, I bet that
would go away too)

Darryl