HELP: Windows disappear when iconified

Post by Eric Mantn » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 11:57:03

Under GNOME Redhat 7 things went fine for a few months, then suddenly
manifested
the following problem:

On iconifying a window, the window (and its icon) disappear. The
process is
still running from ps, but there is nothing in the panel bar or
desktop to access it by.

I did a deja search on this problem and found several users who had
had this
problem with GNOME. However, there was no actual answer I could use to
any of these problems:

 1. One answer said to "add the pager applet to the panel" but there
is no pager
applet i could find under Utilities.

 2. One answer said to modify configuration files, but it did not
state which configuration files.

 3. Some answers stated to use KDE.

However, I only want to use my window manager for very simple tasks,
namely
iconifying and uniconifying windows. I just don't need other themes or
in fact
any other functionality and don't want to reinstall a whole other
window manager.
Does anyone know concretely what could be causing this?

I mean I was perfectly happy with GNOME until this problem started.

Post by Ruediger Ar » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:27:53

> Under GNOME Redhat 7 things went fine for a few months, then suddenly
> manifested
> the following problem:

> On iconifying a window, the window (and its icon) disappear. The
> process is
> still running from ps, but there is nothing in the panel bar or
> desktop to access it by.

--snip--

I'm using MDK8, and there's an "Applets" entry in the main menu. If you
don't have that one, type "tasklist_applet" in a term. If that won't work
also, I'd assume you have not installed it, or it's having a different name
under RH (which I doubt).
HTH,
Ruediger

Post by Jerry Peter » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 05:49:53

> Under GNOME Redhat 7 things went fine for a few months, then suddenly
> manifested
> the following problem:
> On iconifying a window, the window (and its icon) disappear. The
> process is
> still running from ps, but there is nothing in the panel bar or
> desktop to access it by.
> I did a deja search on this problem and found several users who had
> had this
> problem with GNOME. However, there was no actual answer I could use to
> any of these problems:
>  1. One answer said to "add the pager applet to the panel" but there
> is no pager
> applet i could find under Utilities.
>  2. One answer said to modify configuration files, but it did not
> state which configuration files.
>  3. Some answers stated to use KDE.
> However, I only want to use my window manager for very simple tasks,
> namely
> iconifying and uniconifying windows. I just don't need other themes or
> in fact
> any other functionality and don't want to reinstall a whole other
> window manager.
> Does anyone know concretely what could be causing this?
> I mean I was perfectly happy with GNOME until this problem started.

Try clicking the right mouse button on the root window, at least on my
system, this brings up the window list.

        Jerry

1. RT aixterm disappears under twm 4.0 when iconified

When I iconify an aixterm under twm 4.0 everything goes fine until I try to
uniconify it.  It then disappears and can't be recovered without restarting
twm.  I would suspect twm, but xterms from all other hosts work fine including
the local rs6000.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance...

2. IP Chains

3. Enlightenment: how to skip iconified windows?

4. Hostname lookups

5. Iconified windows appears on every desktop!

6. ed - read in file at current line

7. Icons & Iconifying under X Window

8. Problem with NCSA 1.4 Server Side includes

9. Iconify All Windows?

10. Iconify window should be possible with alt-mouseclick

11. Iconify windows in Sawfish

12. KDE background damaged when window iconified.

13. Iconifying all windows - how to create a shortcut