3d video card with open-source accelerated drivers?

3d video card with open-source accelerated drivers?

Post by segus » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:19:23

Hi,

I have a nvidia riva tnt2 ultra, but I don't like to install the closed
source driver in order to have 3d acceleration in opengl-mesa.
But I need it because I am programming a game.

Is there some decent video card with open drivers, possibly included in Xfree86,
which support 3d acceleration?

Thank you. :-)

--
Best Regards,
Maurizio Colucci

Post by Adam K Kirchhof » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:34:05

> Hi,

> I have a nvidia riva tnt2 ultra, but I don't like to install the closed
> source driver in order to have 3d acceleration in opengl-mesa.
> But I need it because I am programming a game.

> Is there some decent video card with open drivers, possibly included in Xfree86,
> which support 3d acceleration?

> Thank you. :-)

The Radeon 8500 (and it's R200 derivatives such as the 9200, and 9100) are
the only relatively modern cards that have open source 3D drivers.  Note,
however, that not all of the functionality is supported in the open source
drivers.

Adam