PCI-based ATI Mach64, does it work with XFree86 3.1.2d?

Post by Derek Tattersa » Sun, 03 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:) writes:

>Trying it with 3.1.2 makes the X server hang after it tells you it is
>talking to an EISA Mach64 card. If the 3.1.2d version works, does it work
>at a screen resolution of 1024x768? If not, How do I get in contact with
>this company called X-Inside that I understand sells an X-server that
>works with a PCI-based Mach64 card?

>--

>Mats Luthman, Sylog AB
>Solna Torg 3, Box 1466
>171 28 Solna, SWEDEN
>phone: +46 (0)8 730 00 15

I managed to make the X window work (Sort of) with my PCI based ATI Mach64
card, and the 3.1.2d distribution.

I say "sort of" because every time I try to load Xfilemanager (and several
other programs) I get a massage that says "segmentation fault". But the
Xserver loads and runs at 1024 x 768 and I get a visible desktop, even if
most of the utilities don't run.

I think there are still a few bugs in the system, but I am not currently sure
if they are in _my_ system or not.

 ----
Derek Tattersall

PCI-based ATI Mach64, does it work with XFree86 3.1.2d?

Post by Don R. Masz » Tue, 05 Mar 1996 04:00:00

We are using a PCI bus ATI GPT Mach 64 2Mb VRAM on our 486 66 with
16Mb RAM.  I just installed a brand new slackware 3.0 installation,
1.2.13 kernel, ran xconfig, chose the ATI card from the list etc etc.

X runs fine for a short while and then the entire system locks up and
needs to be rebooted with the dreaded reset button.  There is a ton of
swap available if you cat /proc/meminfo, so it is not a memory
problem.  The problem also does not seem to be related to a particular
application.

I am clueless.

Don Maszle

PCI-based ATI Mach64, does it work with XFree86 3.1.2d?

Post by -Fales,P. » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>We are using a PCI bus ATI GPT Mach 64 2Mb VRAM on our 486 66 with
>16Mb RAM.  I just installed a brand new slackware 3.0 installation,
>1.2.13 kernel, ran xconfig, chose the ATI card from the list etc etc.

>X runs fine for a short while and then the entire system locks up and
>needs to be rebooted with the dreaded reset button.  There is a ton of
>swap available if you cat /proc/meminfo, so it is not a memory
>problem.  The problem also does not seem to be related to a particular
>application.

Long shot... Are you running a network by any chance?  I've experienced
this when I try to send Arcnet traffic at the same time the Mach64 server
is running.   The system hangs and the only way out is with the res4et
button.   My workaround has been to start using the SVGA server instead
of the Mach64 server - I haven't seen any problems with this config.

--
Peter Fales                       Lucent Technologies, Room 1P-419
N9IYJ                             1200 E Warrenville Road