Graphic quality is bad with Mach64

Post by Chen Elvis » Wed, 26 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I just got InfoMagic March Edition (kernal 1.2.1).  I got X window work
with my video card and my monitor, but I do notice that the graphic
quality is not as good as in MS-window under the same resolution.

The HW configuration I have is as follows:

ATI WinTurbo
Mach 64, 2mg VRAM

ADI MicroScan 4GP monitor with
        H-Frequency : 30-64 KHz
        V-frequency : 50-100 Hz

I used XFree86-Config to configure my X, and I am pretty sure I have
entered the right number for all the questions.  I am also sure I have
selected Mach64 as the server.

My main concern is that X window doesn't look as "smooth" as MS-Window
under the same resolution.  I can see the "lines" between lines, and the
screen seems to be flashing.  Under MS-window, with the same color (both
background and foreground) the same thing doesn't occur.

if anyone has any advice, please reply.

thanx in advance,

Elvis

Graphic quality is bad with Mach64

Post by Jason Roberts » Wed, 26 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I just got InfoMagic March Edition (kernal 1.2.1).  I got X window work
>with my video card and my monitor, but I do notice that the graphic
>quality is not as good as in MS-window under the same resolution.

>The HW configuration I have is as follows:

>ATI WinTurbo
>Mach 64, 2mg VRAM

>ADI MicroScan 4GP monitor with
>    H-Frequency : 30-64 KHz
>    V-frequency : 50-100 Hz

>I used XFree86-Config to configure my X, and I am pretty sure I have
>entered the right number for all the questions.  I am also sure I have
>selected Mach64 as the server.

>My main concern is that X window doesn't look as "smooth" as MS-Window
>under the same resolution.  I can see the "lines" between lines, and the
>screen seems to be flashing.  Under MS-window, with the same color (both
>background and foreground) the same thing doesn't occur.

>if anyone has any advice, please reply.

Yeah.. don't blindly use the modelines that Xfree86-Config puts in!  Keep
everything but the "modeline "800x600" etc...." lines.  They're mostly crap.

I got really good modes by just going through the Modes file in the doc
directory of X11 (I think that's where it was).  Just start trying modes that
have a refresh as close to possible as the maximum your monitor can handle.

Try the ones at the top, first.  Those are pretty standard.  I got mine up to
full refrash rate/resolution/color depth using modes from that file without
too much trouble.
--

Post by Jakob Schio » Wed, 26 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: I just got InfoMagic March Edition (kernal 1.2.1).  I got X window work
: with my video card and my monitor, but I do notice that the graphic
: quality is not as good as in MS-window under the same resolution.

Two problems:

1) The config program makes several modelines with the same name, sorted in
increasing order according to the refresh rate.  When X starts up it picks
the first one compatible with your monitor, ie. the one with the *lowest*
resfresh rate.  You'll definetely want as high a refresh rate as possible,
so try to comment out all other definitions.

2) The Mach 64 X server is buggy, get the new version (patch level 2) from
ftp.xfree86.org.  This will correct the "wavy lines" you may have on your
screen.  You may have to reboot (or even switch off you computer) to clear
the video card registers from whatever bad stuff the original server left
there.

Good luck

Jakob Schiotz

1. bad sound quality in xmms?

        I'm using xmms 1.2.4 and it skips like a march hare.  Seemingly at random,
static creeps in while it's playing as well.  It happens regardless of cpu
load.  I'm running an Athlon and the sound card's configured just fine.
All the settings for mp123 are where they should be.  I just can't figure
out what's causing this.  Is it just a problem with this version?

        erik
--
a conclusion is the place where someone got tired of thinking.

2. Win2000 - Linux

3. Gnome and Enlightenment - extremely bad code quality?

4. Help process interconection

5. bad sound quality from /dev/audio

6. Can't resolv host localhost

7. Xfree 4.0 works but bad Screen quality - perhaps wrong Hsync ?

8. Kernel Question

9. HP LJet bad quality ghostscript printing...

10. bad sound quality for u-law sound (/dev/audio)

11. SLIP sl0: transmit timed out, bad line quality

12. Found why I had bad quality on my printer.

13. Choosing an AGP graphic card for it's TV-out quality