Enabling "windows key" on 104-key keyboard

Enabling "windows key" on 104-key keyboard

Post by Matt Brau » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I swear, I'm going insane. I want to enable the left and right windows
keys on my PC104 keyboard (Micron OEM from NMB Keyboards). I'm running
RH 5.0 on an i686. I've tried to manipulate the XF86Config file to no
avail. Something odd, however, is that the "menu key" does, in fact,
generate an event and ~g  is printed to the screen (even when the
keyboard is defined as pc101). How do I a) enable all 104 glorious keys
and b) test if they're enabled? Thanks!

--
"Love is like a baby. It needs care and protection. Oh, and it eats
salsa. Straight from the jar. Well, at least my baby does."

Post by Bruce Stephen » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> a) enable all 104 glorious keys

I think you probably already have.

Quote:> and b) test if they're enabled? Thanks!

Use xev(1).

xmodmap will allow you to map them to something useful.  xkeycaps is a
GUI which is very convenient for this kind of thing; I don't have a
recent copy, so I don't know whether it has Windows keyboards defined
yet.

Enabling "windows key" on 104-key keyboard

Post by Matt Brau » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > a) enable all 104 glorious keys

> I think you probably already have.

And you were right, sir!

Quote:> > and b) test if they're enabled? Thanks!

> Use xev(1).

So that was the name. I was looking for it, and for some reason, I
didn't have it installed, so I swiped a copy from a friend's machine and
tested my keys. They do work.

Quote:> xmodmap will allow you to map them to something useful.  xkeycaps is a
> GUI which is very convenient for this kind of thing; I don't have a
> recent copy, so I don't know whether it has Windows keyboards defined
> yet.

Yeah, Xkeycaps has 104-key keyboards, and I used it, but it only seemed
like the menu button was enabled.

Now I have to figure out how to get Xemacs to recognise the windows keys
(it only recognizes the menu key).

Thanks!

--

Post by Rebecca Or » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I swear, I'm going insane. I want to enable the left and right windows
> keys on my PC104 keyboard (Micron OEM from NMB Keyboards). I'm running
> RH 5.0 on an i686. I've tried to manipulate the XF86Config file to no
> avail. Something odd, however, is that the "menu key" does, in fact,
> generate an event and ~g  is printed to the screen (even when the
> keyboard is defined as pc101). How do I a) enable all 104 glorious keys
> and b) test if they're enabled? Thanks!

        Don't define it as pc101 when it's pc104.

        My keyboard section looks like this:

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   AutoRepeat      500 5
   LeftAlt         Meta
   RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control
   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc102euro "
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc104"
   XkbLayout       "en_US"
   XkbOptions      "grp:toggle"
EndSection

--
Rebecca Ore

Post by Rebecca Or » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Now I have to figure out how to get Xemacs to recognise the windows keys
> (it only recognizes the menu key).

        Oh, XEmacs, you're talking?  I have the flying windows key on
the left as meta (which gives me control/meta/alt), the right alt key
as a mode switch (which gives me the ?) and the right flying window as
something that worked at one time (but not in Gnus) to put together
tilde'ed characters and such if I remember correctly. The Menu key
gives me a small menu (in Gnus, same as right mouse button).

--
Rebecca Ore

1. How to get "Command key" key code for Mac USB keyboard

I have been using a Macintosh USB keyboard with my
Linux RH 7/1 system since the keyboard has a nice
touch. I would like to use xmodmap to remap the left
control key to the left command/apple key (to use my
thumb rather than pinky for control). Can someone tell
me how to figure out the key code of the command/apple
key?

    Thanks,

    Henry

2. Is this a sign of the fall of Microsoft?

3. Extend Keyboard keys: (sound up/down, the "Dell" button, "Play"....)

4. Serial Communications in "UNIX" apps.

5. How to turn "Windows" key into "Alt"?

6. Sun Solaris USB Flash Drive mount command (scsa2usb driver)

7. use the "windows" key of my keyboard

8. Linux with Windows, HELP?

9. Keyboard with Control key next to the "A" key?

10. RH9: "gpg --gen-key" fails to create keys

11. how to: "Windows" key -> KDE's "K" menu..

12. Binding the Windoze Keys (104 Keyboard)

13. XF86 specs for Dell 17LS and/or Dell 104 key keyboard