cannot open default font

Post by David D. Schrec » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I installed the Debian distribution on an old 486 with no problems, but I 'm
having difficulty getting X to run.  When I enter startx a much of stuff
flys by, it looks like a window is going to open, and then it goes back to
text with the error message "could not open dafult font 'fixed'".  My server
is xf86_svga   I checked the XFreeConfig file and the path for fonts is now
correct.  Perhaps the correct font is not installed.  What package has the
fonts?  What else could be the problem?

Thanks for any help.
--David

cannot open default font

Post by David D. Schrec » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I solved my problem.  I had neglected to install the package xfntbase