display OpenGL applications (SGI) on remote machine (linux)?

display OpenGL applications (SGI) on remote machine (linux)?

Post by Motomu Ibara » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

Could someone please let me know how to remotely display
an openGL application on linux?  I am trying to remotely display
an X application running on a SGI machine onto a linux machine but
cannot display any OpenGL application on the linux machine...

thanks in advance.

--
  Motomu Ibaraki

  Department of Geological Sciences
  The Ohio State University
  125 South Oval Mall                    phone (614) 292-7528
  Columbus, Ohio                         fax   (614) 292-7688
  43210-1308

display OpenGL applications (SGI) on remote machine (linux)?

Post by Mark Tayl » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>Could someone please let me know how to remotely display
>an openGL application on linux?  I am trying to remotely display
>an X application running on a SGI machine onto a linux machine but
>cannot display any OpenGL application on the linux machine...

You need your linux X server to be running the GLX extension.
An implementation of this based on Mesa 2.0 has been written
by Steve Parker.  Have a look at

  http://www.cs.utah.edu/~sparker/xfree86-3d/

As he explains there, this is alpha software, but I have been running
it for a while with no problems.

| Mark Beauchamp Taylor  -  physicist trapped in a chemist's body.    |

-----------------------------------------------------| ... It's the future! |
                                                     ------------------------

Post by Kris Caput » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Could someone please let me know how to remotely display
> an openGL application on linux?  I am trying to remotely display
> an X application running on a SGI machine onto a linux machine but
> cannot display any OpenGL application on the linux machine...

> thanks in advance.

> --
>   Motomu Ibaraki

>   Department of Geological Sciences
>   The Ohio State University
>   125 South Oval Mall                    phone (614) 292-7528
>   Columbus, Ohio                         fax   (614) 292-7688
>   43210-1308

It's actually quite simple. What you need to do is install on your SGI
machine Mesa - the public domain OpenGL clone. Every time you want to
run an OpenGL remotely set the library search path, LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
the location of Mesa libraries. Provided that the application in
question is not statically linked to OpenGL Mesa will replace GLX calls
with standard X11 calls any X11 host can serve. You won't have the
beautiful smooth hardware accelerated graphics of an SGI but you will
still get a fairly decent interaction with your application.
I hope it helps.
-
-
Kris Caputa
Dpt of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Victoria, British Columbia

Post by David Konerdi » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

>>Hello,

>>Could someone please let me know how to remotely display
>>an openGL application on linux?  I am trying to remotely display
>>an X application running on a SGI machine onto a linux machine but
>>cannot display any OpenGL application on the linux machine...

>You need your linux X server to be running the GLX extension.
>An implementation of this based on Mesa 2.0 has been written
>by Steve Parker.  Have a look at

>  http://www.cs.utah.edu/~sparker/xfree86-3d/

>As he explains there, this is alpha software, but I have been running
>it for a while with no problems.

The alternative is to use run-time-linking on the SGI to make your
executable use the Mesa libraries instead of the OpenGL libraries on
the system.  Then GLX is not required- Mesa converts the OpenGL calls
to produce normal X protocol traffic, which can then be redisplayed
to the Linux box easily.  This is explained in the Mesa FAQ.

I don't know what the performance difference is.

Snail: Graduate Group in Biophysics
Medical Sciences 926, Box 0446
University of California
San Francisco, CA 94143

1. opengl on sgi linux machines?

Does SGI sell OpenGL on their linux servers?

I'm noticing that even tho intel/amd smokes mips in pure cpu
performance, opengl smokes mesa even if opengl is on a much slower
processor.

Is it possible SGI's opensourcing of GLX will eventually make mesa
more competitive with opengl?  That is, will free GLX make it so mesa
can use hardware acceleration in video cards, and if so, will that be
enough to make mesa a comparable performer?

2. Newbie needs info

3. Running and Displaying Linux Application on a SGI?

4. Linux-2.4.18

5. Running and displaying Linux application on a SGI?

6. ERROR unable to find usable depth.

7. Running and displaying Linux applications from a SGI?

8. boot problem

9. Linux WABI 2.2 on a remote SGI X-Display?

10. Ultra OS 5.6 Remote Login to SGI causes display flashes

11. Display SGI GL on non-SGI box

12. OpenGL on linux, SGI 1600SW w/ NumberNine Revolution IV, help