System backup, repartition, & restore.

Post by Barry Mathie » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:59:42

I'm still a relative newbie, so please keep that in context as you
read.  Please comment anywhere you feel appropriate.

I have been running RH 5.0 (kernel 2.0.31) for about 2 yrs (at home, and
I am not computer professional). I have come to the conclusion it is
time for a system upgrade, and a stab at a different distro.

Currently my RH system occupies 1.5G on my 6G drive (a single linux
native partition, hda1).  I like the setup, and although it has some
deficiencies, I want to preserve it.  I have read many favorable
comments about DebIan and its system upgrade utility, apt-get. My desire
has become to repartition the drive to 2G (for the ol' RH system) and 4G
for the new DebIan system. A 64MB partition will be set up for swap.
Therefore, approximately:

hda1  linux native (83)  2G
hda2  linux native (83)  4G
hda3  linux swap (82)  64MB

But before I go willy-nilly into rapartitionville using fdisk, I need to
backup my entire current system onto a second drive (the old Windows
drive - that must stay Win system).  I believe the way to go about this
is to use, tar.  Can I tar my entire system, while it is being used as
the current system? That is, "tar cvf /system.tar -P /". Or, is the
correct approach to use something like the tar utility on Tom's root
boot disk with my current system (/hda1) and the win drive (hdc5) in
/mnt?  That is, "tar cvf /mnt/hdc5/system.tar /mnt/hda1".

I tried Tom's root boot disk, just to see what it looks like, and I'm
wondering if it sees my entire system.  For example, I keep all the RPMs
I download in a directory, "/usr/local/download".  When I booted using
Tom's disk, I couldn't see this directory.  I didn't try with other
directories 3 levels deep, so my conviction as to this being a Tom's
idiosyncrasy or my own ignorance is unclear.

With the system backed-up, I would then repartition and format the
drive, as shown above, with Tom's root boot disk.

Then, using Tom's root boot disk, I would restore the system onto the
now smaller /hda1 partition. That is, "gzip -d < /mnt/hdc5/system.tar.gz
| tar -xvf -". Do I need to hand edit the /etc/fstab file to correspond
to the new drive partitions? Do I need to turn on the bootable flag
(with fdisk) on the hda1 partition? It isn't currently boot flagged in
the partition table (fdisk -l).

Then, if everything goes well, pull Tom's disk, reboot, and voila, my
old system on a fresh 2G partition.

The DebIan system is on its way from cheap*bytes.  Once received, I can
load it on hda2, edit the lilo.conf file (& run lilo), and have working,
potentially dual boot, RH and DebIan box.

Well, does this sound like a viable approach?

Barry

System backup, repartition, & restore.

Post by T Gile » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 04:45:36

Hi!

Quite a few questions, I hope I can answer some of them to your liking.
here goes:

> I'm still a relative newbie, so please keep that in context as you read.
>  Please comment anywhere you feel appropriate.

We all were once... ;) after 7 years I'm still learning new stuff
everyday.

Quote:

> I have been running RH 5.0 (kernel 2.0.31) for about 2 yrs (at home, and
> I am not computer professional). I have come to the conclusion it is
> time for a system upgrade, and a stab at a different distro.

> Currently my RH system occupies 1.5G on my 6G drive (a single linux
> native partition, hda1).  I like the setup, and although it has some
> deficiencies, I want to preserve it.  I have read many favorable
> comments about DebIan and its system upgrade utility, apt-get. My desire
> has become to repartition the drive to 2G (for the ol' RH system) and 4G
> for the new DebIan system. A 64MB partition will be set up for swap.
> Therefore, approximately:

> hda1  linux native (83)  2G hda2  linux native (83)  4G hda3  linux swap
> (82)  64MB

> But before I go willy-nilly into rapartitionville using fdisk, I need to
> backup my entire current system onto a second drive (the old Windows
> drive - that must stay Win system).  I believe the way to go about this
> is to use, tar.  Can I tar my entire system, while it is being used as
> the current system? That is, "tar cvf /system.tar -P /". Or, is the
> correct approach to use something like the tar utility on Tom's root
> boot disk with my current system (/hda1) and the win drive (hdc5) in
> /mnt?  That is, "tar cvf /mnt/hdc5/system.tar /mnt/hda1".

The question I have is "why"? At most I would tar and gzip and make a
copy of my /home
directory (and any documents and other important stuff) and start fresh.
I'm sure you would like to keep the old system around, but in a situstion
like this, I would suggest doing it from scratch.

Quote:

> I tried Tom's root boot disk, just to see what it looks like, and I'm
> wondering if it sees my entire system.  For example, I keep all the RPMs
> I download in a directory, "/usr/local/download".  When I booted using
> Tom's disk, I couldn't see this directory.  I didn't try with other
> directories 3 levels deep, so my conviction as to this being a Tom's
> idiosyncrasy or my own ignorance is unclear.

When you're booted to Toms rtbt, the filesystem you are viewing is in the
system memory (a VFS disk, actually) and not on the hard disk. If you'd
like to mount your hard drive, issue the command:

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt

You can then check out the /mnt directory and you will see the contents
of your hard disk then.

Quote:

> With the system backed-up, I would then repartition and format the
> drive, as shown above, with Tom's root boot disk.

> Then, using Tom's root boot disk, I would restore the system onto the
> now smaller /hda1 partition. That is, "gzip -d < /mnt/hdc5/system.tar.gz
> | tar -xvf -". Do I need to hand edit the /etc/fstab file to correspond
> to the new drive partitions? Do I need to turn on the bootable flag
> (with fdisk) on the hda1 partition? It isn't currently boot flagged in
> the partition table (fdisk -l).

> Then, if everything goes well, pull Tom's disk, reboot, and voila, my
> old system on a fresh 2G partition.

> The DebIan system is on its way from cheap*bytes.  Once received, I can
> load it on hda2, edit the lilo.conf file (& run lilo), and have working,
> potentially dual boot, RH and DebIan box.

> Well, does this sound like a viable approach?

> Barry

If you would like to have 2 distribs on a single system and have an
option for future upgrading, then my suggestion may be something like:

(on a 6 gig disk)
swap 64mb
/dev/hda1 (RHAT) 2 gig
/dev/hda2 (debian) 2 gig
/dev/hda3 /home (whatever-is-left gig)

Share the /home directory between the two distros (or, if you just want
to hack debian and not make it permanant, you can fit the whole debian distro,
/home and all in 2 gigs)

Keeping a seperate /home partition means you will not have to lose
anything when upgrading to a new distro.

just a thought, feel free to blast away! ;)

thanks!

tom

System backup, repartition, & restore.

Post by Norman Levi » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:45:51

All good questions.  But what does this have to do with X?
Try "comp.os.linux.setup".  I'm sure you will get help there.

--
Norman Levin

greatest power, the village idiot will come forth to be acclaimed the
leader.'"

System backup, repartition, & restore.

Post by Serban Andrei Dumitresc » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 23:24:49

Hi folks,

A short while ago I've installed SuSE Linux 7.1 (kernel 2.4.0) with
XFree86 version 4 on two Intel machines, both of them with a Rage 128 Pro
graphics card. To my greatest distress I couldn't enable a virtual desktop
on neither of them. I edited the "Virtual" setting in the XF86Config file,
I tried the respective settings in the configuration tool available
(xf86config, SaX, SaX2), which essentially does the same, to no avail.
What am I missing?

TIA,

Andrei

Andrei Dumitrescu
-----------------
Institut fuer Arbeitsmedizin
Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin / Freie Universitaet Berlin
Ostpreussendamm 111 / 12207 Berlin
Fon +49 30 71390021 / Fax +49 30 7126041
http://www.medizin.fu-berlin.de/arbeit

1. System backup, repartition, & restore.

I'm still a relative newbie, so please keep that in context as you
read.

I have been running RH 5.0 (kernel 2.0.31) for about 2 yrs (at home, and
I am not computer professional). I have come to the conclusion it is
time for a system upgrade, and a stab at a different distro.

Currently my RH system occupies 1.5G on my 6G drive (a single linux
native partition, hda1).  I like the setup, and although it has some
deficiencies, I want to preserve it.  I have read many favorable
comments about DebIan and its system upgrade utility, apt-get. My desire
has become to repartition the drive to 2G (for the ol' RH system) and 4G
for the new DebIan system. A 64MB partition will be set up for swap.
Therefore, approximately:

hda1  linux native (83)  2G
hda2  linux native (83)  4G
hda3  linux swap (82)  64MB

But before I go willy-nilly into rapartitionville using fdisk, I need to
backup my entire current system onto a second drive (the old Windows
drive - that must stay Win system).  I believe the way to go about this
is to use, tar.  Can I tar my entire system, while it is being used as
the current system? That is, "tar cvf /system.tar -P /". Or, is the
correct approach to use something like the tar utility on Tom's root
boot disk with my current system (/hda1) and the win drive (hdc5) in
/mnt?  That is, "tar cvf /mnt/hdc5/system.tar /mnt/hda1".

I tried Tom's root boot disk, just to see what it looks like, and I'm
wondering if it sees my entire system.  For example, I keep all the RPMs
I download in a directory, "/usr/local/download".  When I booted using
Tom's disk, I couldn't see this directory.  I didn't try with other
directories 3 levels deep, so my conviction as to this being a Tom's
idiosyncrasy or my own ignorance is unclear.

With the system backed-up, I would then repartition and format the
drive, as shown above, with Tom's root boot disk.

Then, using Tom's root boot disk, I would restore the system onto the
now smaller /hda1 partition. That is, "gzip -d < /mnt/hdc5/system.tar.gz
| tar -xvf -". Do I need to hand edit the /etc/fstab file to correspond
to the new drive partitions? Do I need to turn on the bootable flag
(with fdisk) on the hda1 partition? It isn't currently boot flagged in
the partition table (fdisk -l).

Then, if everything goes well, pull Tom's disk, reboot, and voila, my
old system on a fresh 2G partition.

The DebIan system is on its way from cheap*bytes.  Once received, I can
load it on hda2, edit the lilo.conf file (& run lilo), and have working,
potentially dual boot, RH and DebIan box.

Well, does this sound like a viable approach?

Barry

2. How do I go from 4c to 4m easiest?

3. Backup /usr files (permissions?), repartition, restore?

4. Redhar 5.2 doesn't regocnise my CDROM

5. help. restoring a backup dump/restore

6. Ethernet setup question

7. Restore data from DDS (((AKA further proof of backup/restore issues on linux

8. Gateway VX1100 / Mandrake 7.2

9. Is this how you backup and restore a system?

10. System crash when restoring a backup

11. Best way to backup/restore Tru64 system?

12. Backup and Restore an entire system

13. Restoring system from tape backup (how ?)