Got Knews newsreader working - now what..?

Got Knews newsreader working - now what..?

Post by larry » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Thanks to several of the kind folks here, I've got Knews working.  This
was a real learning experience because it was the first time I had to
install anything that required the C compiler.

My next challenge will be to figure out how to use anything but the "VI"
editor, which is the default, to compose and reply.

My main concern right now is the tons of files residing in my /usr/knews
subdirectories.  There are dozens of .c, .o and .n files.  I think that
the .n files are configuration files, but can I safely get rid of the
others..?

--
Larry Jandro -- Edit De-Spammed Header to Reply via E-Mail

  *   LJ Video Engineering    -   Near San Francisco   *
  * www.ljvideo.com -  Using Linux 1.2.13 & X-Windows  *

Got Knews newsreader working - now what..?

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks to several of the kind folks here, I've got Knews working.  This
>was a real learning experience because it was the first time I had to
>install anything that required the C compiler.

It's a very useful skill to have, even if you don't know how to program in
C.  For instance, there are still some features that may require you to
recompile your kernel.

Quote:>My next challenge will be to figure out how to use anything but the "VI"
>editor, which is the default, to compose and reply.

I don't recall the details, but this is handled by a configuration file
used by knews.  Check the documentation included with the knews
distribution; the information is in there, though you may need to do a bit
of reading to find it.

Quote:>My main concern right now is the tons of files residing in my /usr/knews
>subdirectories.  There are dozens of .c, .o and .n files.  I think that
>the .n files are configuration files, but can I safely get rid of the
>others..?

First, it's often a good idea to put source directories under usr/src, so
ideally, you could drop the source in /usr/src/knews, compile it, install
the resulting executables (putting them in appropriate directories under
/usr, /usr/local, /usr/X11R6, or wherever), and (if you're short on disk
space) delete the entire source tree.  Second, most source distributions
(including knews) have a "clean" option in their makefiles to remove
temporary files like the .o files.  Just do a "make clean" while in the
knews source directory and it'll do the rest.  This will *NOT* remove the
c files, though, since those are the source files themselves.

Best of luck.  Knews is a good newsreader, though it's a bit tedious to
install and configure.

| Rod Smith                                 Author of:               |

| http://php.indiana.edu/~rodsmith          "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |

Post by Alastair Sherringh » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks to several of the kind folks here, I've got Knews working.  This
> was a real learning experience because it was the first time I had to
> install anything that required the C compiler.

> My next challenge will be to figure out how to use anything but the "VI"
> editor, which is the default, to compose and reply.

> My main concern right now is the tons of files residing in my /usr/knews
> subdirectories.  There are dozens of .c, .o and .n files.  I think that
> the .n files are configuration files, but can I safely get rid of the
> others..?

I wouldn't worry about the files lying around after compilation - why not
backup the directory (tar) and remove it. I definitely do not know what the '.n'
files are (I don't seem to have any -knews version 0.9.8). the .o files are
'object' files from the C compiler - you can get rid of them.

You only need the 'knews' executable (mine is in /usr/X11R6/bin) and the
app-defaults file(/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Knews).

I have been using knews for a while now and think it is superb.

To modify the editor - set the line ;

Knews.editCommand:      <your editor> %s

in the app-defaults file 'Knews'. Mine is set to ;

Knews.editCommand:      nedit %s

Hope this helps!

--
Alastair

London SW9

Got Knews newsreader working - now what..?

Post by Deedl » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

The best way is 'rm -rf /usr/knews' and keep the .tar.gz file in your /usr/src
directory. The only thing you need is knews executable file and Knews file in
/usr/lib/app-defaults/. The latter one is the configuration file for knews.
All the other thing you can get rid of .
Good luck

deedlit
Queen of Lodoss

1. REPOST: question for users of Knews newsreader

In article <REPOST-

Check out the ,knews directory at your home directory.  There is a config
file buried there which tells knews whether to read an active file, get
new newsgroups at connect, etc.  You can significantly speed up knews by
turning off a few time consuming options.  These are covered in the man
knews I believe.  They are also commented in the .knews/config file
(whatever its actually called).

--
Michael Perry

-----------------

2. Problem - IP Masquerade is so slow

3. knews 0.9.3 -- a threaded newsreader for X

4. imap login delay

5. I can′t compile the knews newsreader

6. IBM to use Linux to build the "Grid"

7. question for users of Knews newsreader

8. Spent 3 weeks trying to fix Diald boot script error

9. knews and tin newsreader packages for Solaris Intel/SPARC

10. Announce: knews 0.9.4 -- a threaded newsreader for X

11. knews X-Windows Newsreader RPMs

12. REPOST: question for users of Knews newsreader

13. help with knews newsreader