Problems using XFree86 (S3-server) in 16/32 bpp mode

Problems using XFree86 (S3-server) in 16/32 bpp mode

Post by Rainer Menzn » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a Miro 12SD videocard (VLB) installed and I'm runnning XFree86
3.1.2 (S3-server). I upgraded my graphics card from 1 MByte to 2 MByte
video ram and wanted to start X in 16 bpp mode.

As far as I understand videotimings etc., the available color depth
does not depend on the mode line entries. In other words, a
Modeline that works properly in 8 bpp mode MUST also work properly in
16 bpp mode, provided that enough videoram is available.

But when I start the server (startx -- -bpp 16) using a Modeline that
works ok in 8 bpp mode, the screen starts to flicker and parts of
windows appear twice on the screen; in other words there's a screen
full of garbage. A solution seems to be the reduction of the
resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 or to switch to an interlaced
mode.

Does anyone understand this?
Did I missunderstand or forget something or is this a bug in the S3
server?

Thanx for any answers and comments,

                            Rainer

--

*** ____ ******* . * . ******** Dipl.-Ing. Rainer Menzner *********************
   ( /  \       /|  /|          Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum

********************** /--) *** Tel. +49-234/700-7978 *************************

Problems using XFree86 (S3-server) in 16/32 bpp mode

Post by sie » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

There are a few bug fixes that are already done to the latest beta
versions of several xservers that fixes the flickering problem in 16,
32 modes. These betas have a expiration date.  So you might want to wait
for the final version of your xserver to come out.
Check out http://www.xfree86.org to see if your prob. happens to be one
of the bug fixes.

1. XF86config 3.1 BUG + problems: 16 bpp and 32 bpp color mode for Kelvin 64 (clgd5434):HELP

After trowing away Yggdrasil's fall '94 distribution, i've installed
slackware's 2.1 linux. This solved quite some problem's described already
under Yggdrasil fall '94 mails. I managed to get my Orchid Kelvin 2Mb, PCI
to work under Depth 8, but :
- moving windows creates dust/snow
- at startup (startx) my desktop is partially blue, rest is the standard grey
desktop ?? only after opening a window (wterm of Xfilemngr ..) + Refresh Sreen
i get a complete blue desktop
- exiting Xwindow once is ok, but if I exit it again , my text terminal is
messed up that badly that i can only reboot the system
- following instruction under usr/X11/lib/X11/doc in the README.cirrus doc
for running 16 or 32 bit color does or not work or again send my xterm into a
complete mess so i have to reboot.

Any hints ???
Maybe another bug:
- after restarting Xwindows again: the middle click pop-up window : no item
from that window can be selected because the whole window move down,
instead of only the cursor ?!?!! I can only select something by keep mouse
still, and using the arrows to move up/down in the pop-up !!!!

Anyone similar experience ? Solved or not. Anyone more succes in getting more
than 8-bit color ??? Yes ? How with the clgd5434.
ps where do you find PCIDUMP.exe so i can try to set a membase option-line.
my options specified in XConfig: option 2048, option "linear".

Any suggestions/help are welcomed to be mailed directly to me.
I will post any succesful hints back.

Johan Van den Wyngaert

2. Compiling MH on linux

3. How to use -bpp 16 -bpp 24 -bpp 32 when using XDM?

4. alpha optimization

5. XFree86 3.1.1, Mach 64 and 16/32 bpp modes

6. NFS performance ...

7. XF86_S3 + S3 Trio 32 1Mb + 15/16 bpp = Trouble, Help

8. recursive listing skipping specific directories

9. Problems with S3-868 in 16,32 bit mode

10. Only one visual in 16 bpp S3 server mode?

11. Millenium II (PCI) OK @ 8,16,32 bpp, *not* OK @ 24 bpp ?

12. Difference between 8bpp | 16 bpp | 32 bpp?

13. 3.1.2b MACH64 -- start X in 16 or 32 bpp problem