Linux Mail server log /var/log/mailig

Post by dversac » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Can someone please define what this mail log means.

Feb 17 14:30:06 localhost sendmail[30998]: NOQUEUE: ns1.domain.on.ca
[xxx.50.185.xxx]: ETRN [rejected]

I keep on seeing this log in my maillog file continuously showing up.

1. Check your ppp.log or ppp.tun0.log in /var/log

Hi,

I was having a look through my FreeBSD 2.2.2 system last night after
compiling myself a new kernel, so was feeling pretty chuffed about it
(being my first FreeBSD kernel) when I noticed that the directory and
contents of /var/log/ were world-readable.

While it's pretty understandable that some log files have world
attributes it seems INSANE that ppp.log (or, in my case, ppp.tun0.log)
be world-readable. After a quick cat of the file I found, for all to
see, plain text copies of my ISP password visible.

I suppose it's prudent to run around clamping all these files down, but
it strikes me as odd that they'd default to world-readable.

Well, it's probably not a major discovery, but I'd thought I'd bring it
to your attention anyway.

Cya,

--
Matt Bruce

NB: Remove X's to email me (anti-spam)

2. fuser and umount don't seem to agree

3. howto logging mail to /var/log/maillog

4. Virtual Hosts Problem

5. ipppd logs in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ??

6. Problems Compiling the kernel 2.0.35

7. How can I get ipppd to log in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ????

8. Duplicate icmp packet blues

9. How large can /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog get ?

10. How to close /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages..

11. creating different syslog file /var/log/syslog.0 /var/log/syslog.1...

12. Why does: "tail -f /var/log/messages | grep eth0 >> /var/log/eth0.log" create an empty log ?

13. Help with log files on /var/log/*