Q: Two mouse pointers using two mice possible in X, possible?

Q: Two mouse pointers using two mice possible in X, possible?

Post by B.Q. » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:45:23

I have both a PS/2 and a USB mouse connected to X and it's working fine.
But, as is standard, both move the same mouse pointer.
Is it possible to assign a separate mouse pointer to each, i.e. to have
a second independent pointer? I feel I would be able to work more
efficiently if I could have two mouse pointers on screen associated each
with their own mouse.

Thanks for any info!

Q: Two mouse pointers using two mice possible in X, possible?

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:29:05

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:45:23 +0200, B.Q. staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> I have both a PS/2 and a USB mouse connected to X and it's working
> fine.  But, as is standard, both move the same mouse pointer.  Is it
> possible to assign a separate mouse pointer to each, i.e. to have a
> second independent pointer? I feel I would be able to work more
> efficiently if I could have two mouse pointers on screen associated
> each with their own mouse.

Looks like X assumes there is one and only one active pointer at any
time.  There are references in the X documentation to a "core pointer",
which makes me think there must be a "non-core pointer", but I couldn't
find anything coherent about what the differences are or how to use
them.

Also, I don't think you've thought the UI through on this.  How do you
tell which pointer is associated with which mouse?  (Move pointer, grab
the wrong mouse, curse, drop wrong mouse, pick up right mouse.  Repeat
50 times per hour.)  Maybe it'd work for you, though.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Q: Two mouse pointers using two mice possible in X, possible?

Post by ¤ » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:59:46

Quote:> On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:45:23 +0200, B.Q. staggered into the Black Sun
> and said:
> > I have both a PS/2 and a USB mouse connected to X and it's working
> > fine.  But, as is standard, both move the same mouse pointer.  Is it
> > possible to assign a separate mouse pointer to each, i.e. to have a
> > second independent pointer? I feel I would be able to work more
> > efficiently if I could have two mouse pointers on screen associated
> > each with their own mouse.
> Looks like X assumes there is one and only one active pointer at any
> time.  There are references in the X documentation to a "core pointer",
> which makes me think there must be a "non-core pointer", but I couldn't
> find anything coherent about what the differences are or how to use
> them.
> Also, I don't think you've thought the UI through on this.  How do you
> tell which pointer is associated with which mouse?  (Move pointer, grab
> the wrong mouse, curse, drop wrong mouse, pick up right mouse.  Repeat
> 50 times per hour.)  Maybe it'd work for you, though.

  Hi, I've got an idea justifying using 2 mice in an X session.
  Play a well designed two-person game on a big screen with your
  close partner. The game will assign different cursor shapes to
  the 2 mice so the players won't get confused. Using two separate
  computers/screens to play networking games tends to alienate
  people, while playing games on the same screen will contribute
  to a better relation, I suppose.

  If this idea is silly, please let me know.
--
 [1;32m? Origin:  [33mSayYA ?T?  [37m<bbs.sayya.org>  [m
 [1;31m?? From:  [36m61-221-184-90.hinet-ip.hinet.net [m

Q: Two mouse pointers using two mice possible in X, possible?

Post by G.Q. » Tue, 17 Sep 2002 06:07:55

On Sunday 15 September 2002 01:29, Dances With Crows audaciously announced:

Quote:> Looks like X assumes there is one and only one active pointer at any
> time.  There are references in the X documentation to a "core pointer",
> which makes me think there must be a "non-core pointer", but I couldn't
> find anything coherent about what the differences are or how to use
> them.

> Also, I don't think you've thought the UI through on this.  How do you
> tell which pointer is associated with which mouse?  (Move pointer, grab
> the wrong mouse, curse, drop wrong mouse, pick up right mouse.  Repeat
> 50 times per hour.)  Maybe it'd work for you, though.

If there is such a thing as a non-core pointer it could be what I want but I
didn't find anything either. Perhaps time to look in the source. As for the
UI, I use one mouse in my left and another with my right hand right now
so a small difference in visual appearance of the cursor would be enough.
If the pointers would be constricted to one half (left/right) of the screen
each (with small overlap perhaps) it would probably already satisfy me.

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:52:21

On 15 Sep 2002 06:59:46 GMT, ? staggered into the Black Sun and said:

>> Looks like X assumes there is one and only one active pointer at any
>> time.  There are references in the X documentation to a "core
>> pointer", which makes me think there must be a "non-core pointer",
>> but I couldn't find anything coherent about what the differences are
>> or how to use them.
>> Also, I don't think you've thought the UI through on this.  How do
>> you tell which pointer is associated with which mouse?  (Move
>> pointer, grab the wrong mouse, curse, drop wrong mouse, pick up right
>> mouse.  Repeat 50 times per hour.)  Maybe it'd work for you, though.

>   Hi, I've got an idea justifying using 2 mice in an X session.
>   Play a well designed two-person game on a big screen with your
>   close partner. The game will assign different cursor shapes to
>   the 2 mice so the players won't get confused. Using two separate
>   computers/screens to play networking games tends to alienate
>   people, while playing games on the same screen will contribute
>   to a better relation, I suppose.

I dunno, I've played many a good game of Starcraft or C&C or Marathon
with people on the LAN and I don't think anybody felt alienated.
(fragged, Engineer-0wned, or Reaver-dropped, maybe...)

Quote:>   If this idea is silly, please let me know.

Not silly at all--it'd just be a lot of work to do if X doesn't support
having more than 1 mouse pointer!  I'm trying to figure out if it does
or not, but there's an awful lot of code to wade through and the
documentation doesn't even mention this.

I suppose you could test your idea out with less work on the X backend
using a joystick and a mouse... player 1 has the mouse, player 2 has the
joystick, both control a different onscreen sprite that does something.

Post by Trevin Beatti » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:41:47

> I have both a PS/2 and a USB mouse connected to X and it's working fine.
> But, as is standard, both move the same mouse pointer.
> Is it possible to assign a separate mouse pointer to each, i.e. to have
> a second independent pointer? I feel I would be able to work more
> efficiently if I could have two mouse pointers on screen associated each
> with their own mouse.

As I understand it, X only gives you one core pointer and one core
keyboard.  You may have more than one device sending events on behalf of
the core pointer, but you only get one pointer.

The reason for this is that the protocol has no provisions for
distinguishing which device generated a pointer event.  It will tell you
the time of the event, the pointer location, and which buttons are pressed,
but not the input device.

You could achieve the desired effect by writing an application that uses
the XInput extension, draws its own software cursor (as a shaped window),
and manages events from the second mouse device.  It seems to me like it
would be a lot of work though.  Take a look at GTK's XInput HOWTO at
http://www.gtk.org/~otaylor/xinput/howto/basic-information.html for
information on a few programs that support secondary pointer devices.

1. Two separate mouse pointers for two mice on one display, possible?

 have both a PS/2 and a USB mouse connected to X and it's working fine. But,
as is standard, both move the same mouse pointer.
Is it possible to assign a separate mouse pointer to each, i.e. to have a
second, independent pointer? I feel I would be able to work more
efficiently if I could have two mouse pointers on screen associated each
with their own mouse.

Thanks for any info!

2. Core from top-3.3beta (compiled using gcc and solaris-2.4)

3. Two mice /dev/psaux and /dev/ttyS1 possible under Linux

4. packet re-ordering on SMP machines.

5. How to setup two terminals, two keyboards, two mouses?

6. recompile kernel?

7. Using joystick/gamepad as second mouse pointer..

8. Bind Question

9. Determining whether USB mouse is plugged in ./ Using two mice

10. Telling if USB mouse is plugged in / Using two mice

11. Telling whether USB mouse is plugged in / Using two mice

12. Is it possible to use two video cards and two monitors at once ?

13. Two NIC cards => Possible to Configure Two Default Routes?