Slackware 3.0/Kernel 1.3.x and X-Inside Motif?

Slackware 3.0/Kernel 1.3.x and X-Inside Motif?

Post by Paul Mille » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I just received X-Inside Motif and am having problems getting it working on my
Slackware 3.0 system (ELF) with 1.3.35 kernel. The default .xinitrc starts up fine but
mwm (the Motif window manager) seg-faults immediately (you see the window borders
form, then they go away).

Has anyone managed to get X-Inside MWM working in a ELF Linux environment?

--
Paul Miller                  |          "I am Pentium of Borg.
SGI Senior Software Engineer |         You will be approximated."

Slackware 3.0/Kernel 1.3.x and X-Inside Motif?

Post by Thomas Roe » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I just received X-Inside Motif and am having problems getting it working on my
>Slackware 3.0 system (ELF) with 1.3.35 kernel. The default .xinitrc starts up fine but
>mwm (the Motif window manager) seg-faults immediately (you see the window borders
>form, then they go away).

Are you using the ELF-version of the Motif package ?

- Thomas

das Leben ist schoen,                   #include <sys/pizza.h>
was ist daran nicht zu verstehn ?

Post by dirv » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>|> Are you using the ELF-version of the Motif package ?
>|>
>|> - Thomas
>I doubt it.  We aren't shipping Motif on ELF.  If it's X Inside's package,
>then its a.out format.
>To anyone who hasn't heard:  we aren't shipping Motif 2.0 on ELF because it
>fails the VTS test suite.  The VTS is a very complete test suite that source
>code licensees can buy from OSF.  It tests a Motif ports conformance to the
>OSF reference port.  This test run against Motif 2.0 source code built on
>an a.out system passes.  The same Motif 2.0 source code built on an ELF system
>fails miserably.  At this time we have no explanation for this.

        If a Motif/Linux vendor took the time and the energy to
        get a linux distribution conforment to X/Open and used
        an ANSI conformant C compiler perhaps they would have
        better better luck with the VTS.

-Dan

1. Upgrading 1.3.x/Motif 2.0 system to 2.0.33/Motif 2.1 -- any problems/gotchas?

I've just ordered the SuSE 5.2 and Motif 2.1 Developer Pack ($99.95, good
deal) from LSL, which I plan to put on my new toy -- a P2/400 (Supermicro

machine -- a P5/120 (Aladdin/Triton PCI, AHA-2940 SCSI, ATI Mach64). Both
machines have 3Com 900 NICs.

So I want to upgrade the old machine as well -- it's a while since I've
spent much time with Linux that I'm pretty rusty; I remember the system as
sort of mixed elf/aout. The kernel .config says:

CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF is not set
#CONFIG_KERNEL_ELF is not set

I think what the comment signifies is that there is kernel support for ELF,
but the kernel itself wasn't compiled in ELF format. Does that sound right?

Basically I'm up for advice on any of this - any possible problems, things
to look out for...

2. Promise Technology DMA/33 Controller Card

3. S-Ware 3.0, compiling kernel 1.2.xx or 1.3.xx doesn't happen

4. TGUI9440, 64Mb, & Option "linear" == Hangs!

5. Installing Slackware with 1.3.n kernel. How?

6. Locking a terminal

7. Q: DIAMOND STEALTH 64 DRAM WITH X-INSIDE

8. getty/modem GURU help

9. X-inside on netbsd?

10. Anybody actually get Perfect Backup from X-Inside?

11. Q: DIAMOND STEALTH 64 DRAM WITH X-INSIDE

12. Mesa faster then X-Inside OpenGL? Part 2

13. Getting a 1.3.x Slackware kernel