What do I need to do to allow remote X servers to connect to Linux?

What do I need to do to allow remote X servers to connect to Linux?

Post by Edward J. Gom » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi y'all,

I want to be able to run X progams from my NT machine and I have
obtained X server software for NT. What do I have to do to Linux to
allow connections from other machines to access X. Thanks in advance!

Eddie

Autolend Group, Inc.

                     Just DOOM it!

What do I need to do to allow remote X servers to connect to Linux?

Post by Brian Stempe » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

You should use the xhost program, where you would type xhost 'full
name of machine to allow connection from'.  So if I am on machine
a.b.c.d, and I run a program from machine e.f.g.h that I want to
be displayed on a.b.c.d, at the a.b.c.d prompt, I would type
xhost e.f.g.h, which means I am allowing e.f.g.h to connect to
a.b.c.d.  Hope this helps.  BTW, in the worst case, type xhost +,
which means ANY X-server can connect to your machine.  For obvious
reasons, this is not a good idea.

--

What do I need to do to allow remote X servers to connect to Linux?

Post by Peter Li » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

In Linux machine, type xhost +XXX(NT machine's name).

  -----------------

  -----------------

1. Need free/cheap SW to allow Linux to be a DOS file server

My company is going to be doing a show in about a month, and I want to
get Linux into the picture somehow.  What I would like to do is set up
a small network with 1 or 2 Linux boxes and a DOS machine and use one
of the Linux machines as a file server for both the other Linux machine
and the DOS machine.

The Linux-Linux setup is no problem (I assume NFS is stable enough that I
won't fall on my face ;-)), but what I need are some ideas for the Linux-DOS
connection.

Netware is pretty much out of the question for many reasons, as is PC-NFS
(unless I *have* to use it); in any case, I don't know if either of these is
an option under Linux.  Does anyone know of any freely available or
really cheap (i.e. shareware) DOS NFS clients, or any DOS client/Unix (Linux)
server combinations that I can get hold of?  I don't need heavy-duty
functionality, just some simple file serving for a DOS box.

Is this just a pipe dream?  Any and all comments and suggestions (hell,
even flames ;-)) are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Taylor

2. On Solaris 8, which Java?

4. Java40.jar setup

5. DEFBOOTSTR=dos should this allow dos to boot by default?

6. questions on field in pci_dev structure

7. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?

8. setting up linux

9. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

10. Need help allowing remote X clients to connect

11. Connecting DOS+Windows Clients to Linux Server

12. Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server

13. what is done internally on server to allow cgi-bin access?